Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2 - Auto Pilot and Auto Steering Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12.1.2 here. Once in a while, I'll get the cruise control or autosteer limited warning when I first start up the car, then it goes away. I usually clean the windows to make sure the camera isn't blocked but it's interesting to see it might be a software bug related to this topic.

I just went through this with 2019.12.1.2 software. Initial reports are it was a known software/ firmware issue but looking at the logs Tesla service reported that the "AP features have been disabled as the result of Boot-up timeout of the AP computer. To perform a hard reset we are sending another firmware update (same firmware)" This corrected the issue but engineering came back and requested Service do an inspection of the right repeater camera and circuitry which I declined due to an upcoming road trip. Since I need the car for a while, I postponed the inspection to next month.

• Informative
Reactions: T3SL4AFBruh
This happened to me yesterday while stopped at a traffic light with autopilot and tacc on. The “hands of death” came on stating that autopilot features are not available - take control immediately. The emergency flashers were on as were headlights. I put it in park, no change. I put it back in drive and manually turned off the flashers. I put it in park a second time - no change. I put it back in drive and moved the steering wheel aggressively right and left (still stopped at the light) and the “hands” went off. There was no icon for autopilot or TACC and the headlights stayed on. The light changed and I started driving down the road. After about 500 yards, the headlights went off and the icons came back and I was able to re-engage both auto-pilot and tacc.

I figured it was Tesla giving me a class of what could happen in traffic while I was stopped and could react calmly because if I had been driving it would have freaked me out!!! Seriously though - it felt like it was some sort of self-test which seems to be confirmed by earlier comments.

Followup:
My backup camera did die as a part of this.

I have had no issues for the last 4 days since it auto corrected after a deep sleep. Today the issue briefly recurred- the common thread is that both times I had a USB thumb drive in the car. No USB drive and the car has been flawless. I have placed a USB drive twice and both times I had system failures.

It is not clear if this is a hardware or a software issue. I reported it to tech support... waiting to hear their evaluation.

So it seems rebooting the APE fixes this but it takes a hard power cycle. No amount of hard/soft reboots or pulling 12V reboots the APE. I finally pulled a panel and unplugged the blue connector on the APE and plugged it back in. Autopilot and backup camera immediately started working.
Where is this panel/blue connector/ape? would love to try that fix myself to get AP working again. Thanks!

This happened to me last Thursday. I called my service center and they sent a firmware update. I did notice that my Teslacam logo was gone the other day. I put the USB drive on my computer and the drive was empty, no files. I just added the TeslaCam file and reinstalled the USB drive this morning. Hopefully it is unrelated....

I had this exact same problem begin on Monday 5/6, no amount of rebooting would fix it. I tried doing a full shut down but as far as I can tell that is not possible (even if I wait a couple of minutes after hitting the shut down button in the service tab, and the screen, ac, and interior lights go dark, as soon as I put my foot on the brake the car is on nearly instantaneously without any boot sequence evident).

Chatted with Tesla service, they scheduled me to bring the car in that Friday, 5/10. Thursday I was contacted by a member of the remote diagnostics team. He looked at the logs and said he "could see some issues". Friday morning, autopilot and cruise were back as if nothing had ever happened. I don't know if they did a remote reboot or if the autopilot just rebooted on its own, or some other magical fix. I asked and the technician said "No really there is no reset you can do, just the autopilot computer performed a sleep cycle and reseted." He also added that I can always try a scroll wheel reset but they didn't yet know enough about the problem to know whether that would help. He said to not bother bringing the car in for the appointment but to not cancel the reservation just in case. A few days later I got a text from him with an apology and the message that "Unfortunalety there is no fix for the issue just yet but our engineers are working on a firmware version that will bring a fix to this issue."

Autopilot kept working just fine - until this morning. The problem is back. I pulled my USB drive and rebooted - no dice. I tried a shutdown and waited a few minutes and had the same disappointing experience that left me thinking no actual shutdown of anything had occurred. Chatted with Tesla support just to let them know the problem has reoccured and gave them a message to pass along to the remote technician.

So it looks like I'll have to actually drive my own car on the freeway with my own two hands and full attention for the next week until the autopilot decides to "perform a sleep cycle and reset" or until the firmware update hits, whichever comes first. For what it's worth I'm on HW 2.5.

• Informative
I had this exact same problem begin on Monday 5/6, no amount of rebooting would fix it. I tried doing a full shut down but as far as I can tell that is not possible (even if I wait a couple of minutes after hitting the shut down button in the service tab, and the screen, ac, and interior lights go dark, as soon as I put my foot on the brake the car is on nearly instantaneously without any boot sequence evident).

Chatted with Tesla service, they scheduled me to bring the car in that Friday, 5/10. Thursday I was contacted by a member of the remote diagnostics team. He looked at the logs and said he "could see some issues". Friday morning, autopilot and cruise were back as if nothing had ever happened. I don't know if they did a remote reboot or if the autopilot just rebooted on its own, or some other magical fix. I asked and the technician said "No really there is no reset you can do, just the autopilot computer performed a sleep cycle and reseted." He also added that I can always try a scroll wheel reset but they didn't yet know enough about the problem to know whether that would help. He said to not bother bringing the car in for the appointment but to not cancel the reservation just in case. A few days later I got a text from him with an apology and the message that "Unfortunalety there is no fix for the issue just yet but our engineers are working on a firmware version that will bring a fix to this issue."

Autopilot kept working just fine - until this morning. The problem is back. I pulled my USB drive and rebooted - no dice. I tried a shutdown and waited a few minutes and had the same disappointing experience that left me thinking no actual shutdown of anything had occurred. Chatted with Tesla support just to let them know the problem has reoccured and gave them a message to pass along to the remote technician.

So it looks like I'll have to actually drive my own car on the freeway with my own two hands and full attention for the next week until the autopilot decides to "perform a sleep cycle and reset" or until the firmware update hits, whichever comes first. For what it's worth I'm on HW 2.5.

For what it’s worth, I had the same symptoms as my earlier posts happen again after the 12.1.2 re-push. Given that it’s the holidays I couldn’t get ahold of anyone at Tesla aside from emergency road service who couldn’t help.

Some quick googling revealed a Tesla service note for cameras and radar alignment that referenced the ECU. I deduced that pulling the negative cable of the 12v battery may do a hard reset of the affected computer. Lo and behold, 5 minutes later the AP is back and registering vehicles.

Easier than dealing with Tesla.

• Informative