Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more regression I’m seeing commonly in 12.1.2 that I hope they fixed in 16.x: when lanes merge and there’s a car in front or next to you in the lane merging into yours, autopilot seems to ignore it instead of slowing down / speeding up like in the past.

This is fine in some cases but I’ve had at least 3-4 times where I had to take over because the other car wasn’t being tracked the way it usually is when lanes merge, and it was way too close for comfort.

One more regression I’m seeing commonly in 12.1.2 that I hope they fixed in 16.x: when lanes merge and there’s a car in front or next to you in the lane merging into yours, autopilot seems to ignore it instead of slowing down / speeding up like in the past.

This is fine in some cases but I’ve had at least 3-4 times where I had to take over because the other car wasn’t being tracked the way it usually is when lanes merge, and it was way too close for comfort.
I've also seen it go the other way where I turn lane is branching out to the left (in this instance) and I'm on TAAC. I start veering left but the car is tracking the car to my right and refuses to move past it even though there's ample run in front of the car to continue into the turn lane.

I've been watching to see how semi's are rendered on the screen as I pass them and have noticed that it the sensors /cameras don't like the gap underneath the trailer. When first coming onto a semi (right or left) it's pictured as a solid truck then it splits into two once even with the trailer gap, and then as passing the cabin car goes back to one. When passing a semi with a trailer that has the side 'things' attached to the trailer the rendering from the sensors / cameras are never split and show one truck the entire time while passing / driving along side it. Guessing others have noticed this too. I'll try and take a video next time.

I've been watching to see how semi's are rendered on the screen as I pass them and have noticed that it the sensors /cameras don't like the gap underneath the trailer. When first coming onto a semi (right or left) it's pictured as a solid truck then it splits into two once even with the trailer gap, and then as passing the cabin car goes back to one. When passing a semi with a trailer that has the side 'things' attached to the trailer the rendering from the sensors / cameras are never split and show one truck the entire time while passing / driving along side it. Guessing others have noticed this too. I'll try and take a video next time.
Good observation. I'll start watching for that.

I've been watching to see how semi's are rendered on the screen as I pass them and have noticed that it the sensors /cameras don't like the gap underneath the trailer. When first coming onto a semi (right or left) it's pictured as a solid truck then it splits into two once even with the trailer gap, and then as passing the cabin car goes back to one.
That is an interesting idea that it's the space under the trailer that splits the trucks. It's not new to this OS, been going on since before they were rendered as trucks, but it is more noticeable if there is only the one truck beside you. I assumed it was just a calibration issue with the camera's lining up differently for the various models of Tesla, but your idea could be correct too. They don't seem in a hurry to fix it, perhaps they thought it would fix itself in time as the AI learns.

That is an interesting idea that it's the space under the trailer that splits the trucks. It's not new to this OS, been going on since before they were rendered as trucks, but it is more noticeable if there is only the one truck beside you. I assumed it was just a calibration issue with the camera's lining up differently for the various models of Tesla, but your idea could be correct too. They don't seem in a hurry to fix it, perhaps they thought it would fix itself in time as the AI learns.
Could be the camera's as you mentioned too.

Reactions: israndy
I have been searching for a while to find anyone else with the same issue, so I'm glad it's not me. Same thing when 2019.12 dropped - most mornings, the car would be completely powered off, and I could only get it to wake up by using the app - pressing the brake did nothing. For a while, I thought I tracked it down to using an old 40A charging cable instead of the new 32A one, but after a few days without, it came back.

So far, it hasn't reproduced with 2019.12.1.2. Fingers crossed it's fixed, but it's headed to the service center this Friday at the support folks' recommendations if not.

I've had no issues since the update - hope it resolved for you as well!