Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone has their opinions, not trying to convince anyone they are wrong. I just believe for a car I paid for, the choice should be mine.

It is yours. Both automatic emergency braking (AEB) as well as the new emergency land departure avoidance (ELDA) are overridable by the driver. If the car begins to slow down/brake when it shouldn't, you just nudge the accelerator and that will speed the car up again. If the car thinks it's steering off the road and tries to correct, and your judgment determines that's an incorrect action, you can just steer it where you want to override it. No need to turn either of these features "off".

If you're actually driving and paying attention, this is no big deal.

I was driving from San Jose to La and the car pulled one of those emergency braking fits, quick and hard - the car behind me came way-too-close for my liking, so much so that, heart racing

this is no different than if you were driving and accidentally step on the brakes. You would have looked in the mirror & noticed possible collision & either speed up or drive to the side.

So with AP on, you just step on the go pedal to speed up or flick up the right stalk to negate AP & take over.

Not sure why you think the car 100% in control at given anytime...

Last edited:
So far the biggest issue I've had is phantom braking. Driving down the road on cruise and suddenly it throws on the brakes but there is nothing there.

Doesn't happen too often and I never thought it was dangerous. Just annoying.
I found this annoying in the past but hasnt happened to me since I moved to a new town. I think it happens mostly with confusion if speed limits from over pass roads or tunnels under the car.
I find it safer to have my foot hovering over the accelerater rather than the brake

Reactions: JBT66
I just took my 2018 S 75D out with this new update and it mentions battery heating when supercharger location is put into the gps. Does anybody know how fast a 75D will charge with this new feature? It mentions 25% faster. I usually get 96kw max

I just took my 2018 S 75D out with this new update and it mentions battery heating when supercharger location is put into the gps. Does anybody know how fast a 75D will charge with this new feature? It mentions 25% faster. I usually get 96kw max
This is a Model 3 thread, but here is a S/X 75D thread that shows an increase to at least 105kW.

Upgraded V2 Supercharger - Do 75D cars benefit?

An increment in the third digit is pretty much assured to be just a bug fix. It must have been a bad one for such a quick point release.

I have a 2018 Model S. After the prior release, the screen would intermittently lock up when starting for 1 - 2 mins . . . totally black screen and dashboard. I just updated to 12.1.2. I'm hoping this was to fix that issue - but not sure yet

Here is again what it does:

"Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to steer a Tesla vehicle back into the driving lane if our system detects that it is departing its lane and there could be a collision, or if the car is close to the edge of the road. "

How is it Big Brother? It is not going to do something you don't want. It is merely going to steer your car back in the lane when it detects that you are crossing into incoming traffic, to save you from a head on collision, or veering off the road. That's a good thing and it should be on by default.

Because we know sometimes it doesn’t get the “edge of the road” correctly. And there might be special circumstances (construction, debris, accident, etc.) that warrants crossing the “edge of the road”.

In an effort to get this thread back on track of talking about 12.1.2 instead of arguing over features that haven't been released yet...

I've already had an issue with this release.

I, too, got 12.1.2 last night. This morning, on my first drive, I got a "Cruise Unavailable" warning and thereafter neither TACC nor AP were available. The only time I've EVER had that before was when the front bumper was covered with snow and ice (a situation that Tesla apparently doesn't care enough to fix, other than some cryptic "put some hydrophobic coating somewhere on the car" tweets from Elon).

The conditions this morning were 60 degrees and a very light rain / mist. I cannot imagine how that would have caused an issue with the TACC.

Anyone else had this today?

yea, Tesla isn't ready for full auto-drive... I find the 'severe braking with no one in my lane" extremely annoying and my wife hates when I use autopilot, even with my hands on the wheel. All it takes is one jerky stop, and she's pissed, so I only use it when she's not in the car.

++++++

If only I could upvote this a hundred times.

In addition to the unexplained severe braking on the highway, we get false positives all the time.

We live on a curved, hilly street. There are two spots where it interprets parked cars (on the curve) as being directly in our lane while going uphill.

Despite months of updates and no risk of a crash, it still does this. Even stupid humans learn faster than this neural network appears to.

++++++

If only I could upvote this a hundred times.

In addition to the unexplained severe braking on the highway, we get false positives all the time.

We live on a curved, hilly street. There are two spots where it interprets parked cars (on the curve) as being directly in our lane while going uphill.

Despite months of updates and no risk of a crash, it still does this. Even stupid humans learn faster than this neural network appears to.

Are you on 12.1? There's a curvy street with parked cars on both sides on our way to our grocery store. Every single time we took that road on 8.5 it would beep loudly at us as we passed parked cars on a certain curve. 12.1 seemed to fix it.

Because we know sometimes it doesn’t get the “edge of the road” correctly. And there might be special circumstances (construction, debris, accident, etc.) that warrants crossing the “edge of the road”.

Yes, but if your hands are on the wheel, the car will let you do whatever you want. The blog says that the features works when your hands are not on the wheel. So you can still guide the car across the lane line on special cases without any issue.

Reactions: mswlogo
In an effort to get this thread back on track of talking about 12.1.2 instead of arguing over features that haven't been released yet...

I've already had an issue with this release.

I, too, got 12.1.2 last night. This morning, on my first drive, I got a "Cruise Unavailable" warning and thereafter neither TACC nor AP were available. The only time I've EVER had that before was when the front bumper was covered with snow and ice (a situation that Tesla apparently doesn't care enough to fix, other than some cryptic "put some hydrophobic coating somewhere on the car" tweets from Elon).

The conditions this morning were 60 degrees and a very light rain / mist. I cannot imagine how that would have caused an issue with the TACC.

Anyone else had this today?
I had a similar occurrence a few weeks ago. Same as you, all cameras down (backup) and no AP, EAP or bumper-car display. Performed a hard reset and power down with no luck. After a 4 hours, it suddenly worked again. I had already scheduled an appointment at Service Center, so I just kept it even though the problem did not reoccur. When the SC looked at car, they reported that they had already received an alert that the camera in driver pillar had failed. They validated it an replaced in 10 minutes. Awesome!!

Reactions: mswlogo
I just received Version 2019.12.1.2 5c87371 last evening before heading over to a local SuperCharger to charge up. I thought I'd put the SuperCharger into the Navigate screen as a destination since battery conditioning was listed as a new software feature. I immediately noticed an audible "whine" from what sounded like the front motor (I have a dual motor Performance model). It wasn't loud at all - just a faint whine but a different noise from the car that I have gotten to know pretty well over the past 16,000 miles. I turned off the navigation to the SuperCharger destination, and the whine stopped. In order to make sure there was a correlation, I turned on navigation to the SuperCharger location and off again several times, and the whine correlated precisely with those actions. Outside temperature was 59 degrees. Anyone else notice this? I assume the car was doing something to "warm" the batteries prior to arriving at the SuperCharger location. Any other thoughts?

My understanding is that the Model 3 does not have a dedicated battery heater like the S/X do, and instead they are leveraging some magic with the motors to create heat that warms the batteries (this is apparently true when using battery warming in cold weather as well). So I suspect that’s what you’re hearing.

Even stupid humans learn faster than this neural network appears to.

Keep in mind that your individual car doesn't learn anything at all. All the learning is done back at Tesla HQ, using data collected from the real world, which might or might not include your incidents (might be more likely if you report a bug).

Then that collective learning is used to create a new neural net model, which is probably certified with testing and then pushed out to all cars. So, all M3s running the same software should react to the same situation in about the same way (barring variations in starting conditions).

This is very different from your brain which is both operating and learning at the same time, all the time. With the cars they're two different operations, done in different places, likely using different hardware/etc. The AP3 hardware they just built is optimized for executing neural networks, for example, and not programming/learning them.

Reactions: Zoomit and mswlogo
I remember back on 2019.8.5, EM mentioned they were also releasing improvements to the Neural NW. Is this improvement dependent on the client side at all or everyday we have a potential of improvement in the back-end that's immediately felt by drivers?
It does seem like the SW in the car play a big part on how to interpret the data, regardless of how the NN evolves. The subtle corrections they mentioned on this release related to red light identification makes me think this is the case.