Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.16.2 update released - the good, bad & the wish list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla did a major rollout of the latest Firmware 2019.16.2 last night to over 2000 MX.

Emergency Lane Departure feature is not showing up on my MX.

What are your thoughts on this major release - please share your thoughts along with the pluses and minuses, and the wish list for the future releases.

The good:

- In The Netherlands we now finally have Navigate on Autopilot (NOA) albeit without automatic lane change.
- Sentry mode can be set according to location
- Keyless entry with the app can be switched off in the car

The bad:
In Europe this version has a rocky start. Because of implementation of existing European regulations Autopilot is severely limited in what it can do:

- In curves there is a limit on the speed with which the curve can be driven. When the car drives faster Autopilot switches of.
- If an initiated lane change is not finished in 5 seconds it aborts, even if the lane change has already started.

These regulations cause erratic behaviour and requires more attention to driving on autopilot than before.

Besides this there are some other problems that can occur:

- When driving on the highway the car tends to linger when a car is driving slower in an adjacent lane even if the lane the car is in is clear.
- Phantom brakes and random slowing still happen regularly
- I did not experience this myself, but another Dutchman was driving on the edge of a very narrow road because of an oncoming car when the Emergency Lane Departure system intervened and steered him back to the middle of the road in the path of the oncoming car. This system can be switched of but this has to be done every time you start a new trip.
- Automatic wipers do not start quick enough and wipe too infrequent
- With MCU 1 the browser is still to slow to be usable.
- When using Spotify there are constant hiccups in playback

Wish List

- Elimination of phantom brakes and seemingly random slowing of the car without a necessity
- An exemption for Tesla for the European regulations limiting autopilot function. The way it is now is dangerous
- Automatic lane change for NOA in Europe
- Review of footage recorded by Sentry Mode in the app.
- More granular settings for timed charging: for example timing charging to end just before departure in the morning so you start with a warm battery

It will be interesting to see what other ideas people have. It is easy to just focus on the things that need improvement, but this is the best and most fun car I have ever driven by far.

• Informative
Reactions: Tastee
don't know if its major... I hear 16.2 is only 95.3 MB so only little fixes.
I think they meant it is a wide rollout ... meaning going to a lot of people. Going at a good clip on TeslaFI.COM

OxMQ0ek.jpg

GLxhMdq.jpg

CXzsr7P.jpg

My experience with this (late 2017 Model X HW2.5, Netherlands):
Disclaimer: I washed the car, took extra care to ensure clean sensors and camera's.

Additional Lane Detection Broken
In way, way way to many cases, the car seems to not detect the lanes left and right of you.I first tested the firmware at night, and blamed that (even though I was on the brightly lit beautifully marked 5 lane A2 south from Amsterdam), but experiences over the weekend in both cloudy and bright weather tell a different story. It happens all the time.

No more lane detection/display on non-freeways
Previously, the car would detect and display additional lanes also on multi-lane highways (80/100 km national roads in NL) - So far, I haven't seen it do that anymore.

Autosteer
Which brings me to autosteer. Because of the previously mentioned change, I can no longer manually ask Autosteer to change lanes/overtake on non-freeways.
Regarding the steering angle limitation: I haven't noticed a limitation yet. It could be that it takes some corners a bit slower than before (and still does like a student driver that focuses too much on the road 5 m in front of the car, instead of looking 30+ meters ahead for a more fluent experience).
An example:
upload_2019-5-27_10-20-56.png

This curve-with-intersection (going west->north) was navigated on autosteer with an 'appropriate' speed (for my mom ;) ), which means a serious steering input by the car.

NoA available but mostly useless
NoA is available on all freeway routes I've tried since thursday.
* It does suggest takeing over (for speed) - IF it detects a lane to the left (50%)
* It does properly suggest lane changes for navigation - unless it doesn't see the right/left lane...
* It does NOT actually go left if there's a car coming up from behind (no matter how slow or far)
* It often cancels for timeout (because it's chicken *sugar* and doesn't dare to go left)
* It often cancels (even violently midway through) apparently because it no longer sees the lane (my theory)
* It hardly ever dares/manages to actually make the lane change (timeout, cars, lane 'lost')
* It once suggested going to the middle lane in order NOT to exit (even though the right lane is not going to be an exit lane) - could be a map issue
* If I'm on the right lane near my planned exit, it nicely exits the freeway (but once ON the exit lane, the display disturbingly shows that it's going to hard exit that lane to the right as well - but fortunately doesn't).

In short: doesn't help, feels dangerous and unpredictable to me, other drivers. Will NOT use for a second with passengers in the car. (I tried, and my wife kindly convinced me that should would drive the rest of the way).

Tonight, I'll return WITHOUT NoA to see if this update affected autosteer on the freeway in any way.

Other
* Rare cases of phantom breaking (no change)
* Gut feeling: more cases of phantom-slowing-down in refusal to pass a car in the right line.

Yeah kill the phantom breaks would be nice, the wife is a little ticked off with it here and there happening out of no where with nothing in front and no shadow or anything, mostly at day time but once in 10 times after dark. Happens to me probably 3 times a day but then again I'm on AP almost 80% of the time, whenever the local street is decent marked or traffic is a pain or I'm on highway.

Other wish list item is rear camera recording
Sentry mode playback on mobile app would be nice, I've not gotten any Sentry mode alert so far and I know it did trigger a few times already since I can see it in the dash when I get back to the car.
Remote open of front passenger door would be nice too