Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.24.1 [AP1/MCU1 - just sketchpad improvements]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received 2019.20.4.3 last night. This is the second update I received without any notes on my screen for release notes. Has Tesla stopped posting the changes on the car when we get updates. If so where can I find what my changer are?

For what it is worth,
Our 2015 MS85D, AP1, 20.4.2 66625e9, behaves a little worse on AP with this version of software.
On roads that we normally traveled before, with no issues, we really have to be alert now.
With this version of AP the car will stay exactly in the middle of it's lane, which is great except for when oncoming traffic seems to be crowding the center line!
I would think the car could see oncoming traffic and avoid it.

As for small rises in the road. - Straight stretches of 5 miles or more.
In our previous version of software (16.1.1 697c2ff) , the AP would drop out when the car lost the two blue guidance lines.
With this newer version of software, you can watch the AP screen and see where the software, briefly, "Draws" new lines.
This is new and helps keep the AP engaged, that is until the new lines shows an approaching left or right hand curve where there isn't any.

With the older AP1, there really isn't a lot left for Tesla to offer us but it would be nice if they could retain what we did have, prior to the update. It may not be conclusive but it seems our AP, as promised at time of purchase, it less capable now of doing what it really can do, (Mobileye let the car see more objects).
I can't help but feel that the older Mobileye software has taken a back set to the newer features in the NVIDIA software. I do appreciate that time moves on but surely there is a dedicated subset team to support the older AP and help maintain it's feature set?

It has fixed some lane recognition issues for my regular drive.

I have a 4 lane road with a suicide center lane. Starting around 2019.20, if I was driving in the right lane it would not detect that there was a lane to the left. If I was in the left lane, it would detect a lane to the right.

2019.24.1 this is now working again as expected and it detects the left lane.

View attachment 427841
Great to hear. I found this issue annoying on a trip I made this past weekend...

So my theory on lack of detailed notes (especially about autopilot) is that it creates a legal liability for Tesla if they say too much. Lets say they are rolling out 2019.32 now and it fixes an issue with autopilot in a specific situation (e.g. maybe driving the car into a gore point or not recognizing a crossing semi truck). If they mention that in the notes, and then someone gets in an accident on an earlier version because they haven't gotten the update yet, there could be legal liability for Tesla as the release notes themselves would prove that there was an issue, Tesla knew about it, did not immediately alert customers, and did not immediately fix the issue with an over the air update. Just a theory though, but maybe that's why it's better not to say too much in the release notes.

Reactions: Enginerd
So my theory on lack of detailed notes (especially about autopilot) is that it creates a legal liability for Tesla if they say too much. Lets say they are rolling out 2019.32 now and it fixes an issue with autopilot in a specific situation (e.g. maybe driving the car into a gore point or not recognizing a crossing semi truck). If they mention that in the notes, and then someone gets in an accident on an earlier version because they haven't gotten the update yet, there could be legal liability for Tesla as the release notes themselves would prove that there was an issue, Tesla knew about it, did not immediately alert customers, and did not immediately fix the issue with an over the air update. Just a theory though, but maybe that's why it's better not to say too much in the release notes.
Good Theory. And this is the main reason I have said forever they need to allow for customers to request a download of the current version if they want. I do believe they fix these kinds of issues but do not allow everyone to get the update.

He literally said exactly that - he did not care, not sure why you need to point it out - obviously different people like different thing, not really a shocker

Look at the rest of the quoted post: “Tesla is wasting software design efforts in my view.” It’s not “wasting software design efforts” to release features lots of people find useful even if you don’t, personally.

I know I could avoid disappointment by buying any other brand of car - no updates ever, so nothing to be disappointed about.
My glass may be half empty, but that's not the half I'm drinking from.

Actually you would be very disappointed from every other brand of car as the day you drive it off the lot, you won't get any updates or bug fixes... not even an awesome sketchpad or a fart machine...

Common, how many cars have been upgraded to be an awesome fart machine... ZERO!

Good Theory. And this is the main reason I have said forever they need to allow for customers to request a download of the current version if they want. I do believe they fix these kinds of issues but do not allow everyone to get the update.

FWIW I used to work somewhere where the legal team told us explicitly that we are not allowed to publish release notes or known issues or even check code in that explicitly specified a bug ticket number that describes a defect. Their explanation is that it could be construed as an admission of guilt.

Eventually they stopped caring but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more lawyers who believe release notes are more risk than benefit.

Just received 2019.20.4.3 last night. This is the second update I received without any notes on my screen for release notes. Has Tesla stopped posting the changes on the car when we get updates. If so where can I find what my changer are?
Uh, release notes may not always appear immediately after an update, and it sounds like you may have seen a blank screen. If so, close the screen and re-open it with the "T" press. You may have to wait up to 30 seconds for notes to appear.

My glass may be half empty, but that's not the half I'm drinking from.
Cute. I like it.
And you reminded me of something: Some years ago I ran into a client that was known for asking these strange psychological questions to people being interviewed. He asked "Are you a person that typically thinks the glass is half full or half empty?' I said, "It's not a binary answer. You chose a glass that was twice bigger than what you needed to hold the liquid." They hired me as a consultant on the spot ;) And yup, there are a lot of other answers to that question.

Cute. I like it.
And you reminded me of something: Some years ago I ran into a client that was known for asking these strange psychological questions to people being interviewed. He asked "Are you a person that typically thinks the glass is half full or half empty?' I said, "It's not a binary answer. You chose a glass that was twice bigger than what you needed to hold the liquid." They hired me as a consultant on the spot ;) And yup, there are a lot of other answers to that question.

I always like to respond to that question with "how was the glass before?". If it were full then its half empty, if it were empty its half full.