Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.24.x on S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with a lot of the post here regarding AP taking a step back on this update. I almost crashed today because AP was slow to respond to traffic slowing down that I had to slam on my brakes.

Here's a video of it since I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything out of the blue that might have caused it to act so slow.

AP on Nav: ON

Car Spacer: Set to 1 car only (Moved it to 5 after this incident)

It happened at about the 10 second mark. You can clearly see the car in front stopping yet my car was still going the same speed. I quickly had to slam on my brakes just to stop in time.

I got my 2019.24.4 update on 7/22. When I drove on hwy this evening using AP set at 70mph on 55 speed limit, suddenly in the middle of heavy traffic the speed dropped to 35mph and it assumed it was 30 mph speed limit while still on AP. I corrected it manually right away in fraction of second. But it was scary. I have never seen that drop in speed before this update. I had set the distance to 1 car length. I had 2019.20.4.2 before. MCU2, AP 2.5, Oct 2018 build.
In contrast to some of the other posts loss of range on sentry mode was minimal, 6 miles for a total of 8 hrs on a 90 deg day when it was parked in a lot with no shade. Not bad.

• Funny
Reactions: ccdisce
Soooo once again with this update:
Rain sensing wipers are a joke (but that's ok, they are still in beta).
BT Phone calls answer muted.
MCU freeze & reboot within hours of updating.
TPMS going offline - to be fixed with a software update....hasn't happened.
AP operation, I've never used it, why would I based on what people on here say.

But at least we have a better sketch pad now, I mean really! Is that the only talent left in their software team now? Welcome to the future of motoring folks where your car becomes a poorly written phone app.

• Informative
Reactions: rnortman
The car didn't see a stoped car at traffic light from a reasonable distance. I smashed brakes myself and the braking was already uncomfortable. So, even if the AP had braked itself later, it would have been emergency braking.
Firmware 2019.24.4. AP 2.0. A travel speed was 70mph on the road with 3 lanes one direction at the day light with clean windshield. So this is definitely not a corner case.
There was no such stories with 2019.20.

• Informative
Reactions: weradln and croman
I agree with a lot of the post here regarding AP taking a step back on this update. I almost crashed today because AP was slow to respond to traffic slowing down that I had to slam on my brakes.

Here's a video of it since I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything out of the blue that might have caused it to act so slow.

AP on Nav: ON

It happened at about the 10 second mark. You can clearly see the car in front stopping yet my car was still going the same speed. I quickly had to slam on my brakes just to stop in time.

It doesn't look too dramatic on that video.

I do know that since 2019.20.x when using autopilot on distance setting 1, the car is much more closely bumper-riding the car in front. It's much better in some way, because now it stops right behind the car, while previously it would leave a huge gap. In another way you need to pay much more attention, because there's so little time to intervene if it some day should go wrong.

If you don't like the new behavior, I think any other following distance than 1, such as 3, is closer to the old behavior.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz

It isn't a 'car' space setting, it is time based.

Given the distance you started at it looks like you may have been speed limited rather than time/distance, so when the car in front braked, your car still had some distance to travel before it hit the minimum time setting you had it on.

Reactions: SSonnentag
I had set the distance to 1 car length.
Off thread topic... According to the Model S Owner's Manual:
Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model S, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you.
In other words, a "time-based distance" depends on speed, whereas a car-length distance doesn't. For example, on freeways where the limit is 65 mph, I generally set TACC for 75 mph and following distance to 1. I would never follow at a distance of one car length at that speed.

I have a few questions:

1. I have 2014 AP1. I have always been able to use Chademo since day one. Never had issues with it. Do I need to update to 2019.24.4?

2. My AP works pretty well for me, is this new 2019.24.4 update that much better AP?

3. How many AP1 owners have updated to 2019.24.4

4. How can I completely disable updates? I really love 2019.24.1 which I am on now.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Off thread topic... According to the Model S Owner's Manual:In other words, a "time-based distance" depends on speed, whereas a car-length distance doesn't. For example, on freeways where the limit is 65 mph, I generally set TACC for 75 mph and following distance to 1. I would never follow at a distance of one car length at that speed.
Thanks. Yes, I was traveling on the hwy and the time based distance was 1 car length as I mentioned in the post and as you posted here. However, I think AP and TACC decides how I follow the preceeding car with respect to traveling speed for that 1 car length and I don't decide that as long as I don't press the accelerator.

I sense an improvement in AP with 2019.24
for the first time my car starting taking freeway exits and I sensed more allowance for regen braking rather than hard real braking
however, immediately after the update, my car thought is was in a different state but the gps adjusted once i drove it

Got the update yesterday, and looking at TeslaFi it seems like it introduced higher ranger loss when idling. My range loss for a usual "idling day" went up by a factor of 5.

What made me look in the first place is that the car was immediately turned on when I got in after my work day, as opposed to actually having to wait about 10 seconds before the ICU screen turns on. I might have to check if my energy saving settings were somehow changed during the update.
And you are making that statement based on one day of data? Tell us what happens after a week or more :)

I had set the distance to 1 car length. I had 2019.20.4.2 before. MCU2, AP 2.5, Oct 2018 build.
Bad assumption that "1" means one car length. It doesn't. It depends on distance at a given speed (time spacing). Even so, I would NEVER at this stage of AP, set anything to "1". For me that is having too much confidence in the car's ability and if it does the wrong thing, I have less time to react. When things get better, I might eventually go down to that level, but not now. I am more of a "4" type of guy and I don't care if it leaves more space in front.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
I just got 24.4 and experienced some issues with audio. I could not get any sound from stereo across Sirius and FM despite changing channels and then rebooting. I finally got it to work by switching to Streaming Media and then back to Sirius. Perhaps it has something to do with the sound source control tied into our various games.

Prior to this release, I've also experienced the radio intermittently dropping current Sirius station and depicting a generic name (looked like: "askbody") with no sound. The only way to reset is by re-selecting an FM station and then back to Sirius.

• Informative
With this update I’m now able on two lane highways to change from the right to the left lane. Prior to this it would only allow lane changes left to right.
There was a problem in earlier firmwares (.16 and prior) where there was a slight risk of changing lanes into oncoming cars - there were a few reddit and twitter posts about it. They tightened up lane changing in the direction of the oncoming vehicles (left for LHD, right for RHD) a lot making it often impossible to initiate such a lane change. They seem to have relaxed that restriction a little in this release as well, but I still have trouble more often than not moving into the right lane (RHD.)

• Informative