Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2020.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much complaining about FSD and not getting it yet. If you knew anything about the technology and what Tesla are trying to do, then you should have known that buying this option upfront without it being available was always a RISK. Being an early adopter exposes you to such risk. Buying the FSD option is an early bet. If it pays off, then you get FSD at a good price as it will be much more expensive in the future. If it doesn't -- well, that's the price to be paid as an early adopter. This is not that different to me than investing early in startups. You do so at your own risk.

I bought FSD and though it isn't here yet -- FSD beta looks pretty good and it's worth it to me even in that state. So at least I know that's coming (barring regulators blocking it). If I consider ALL of the OTA updates since I got my 3, and consider what legacy companies would have charged me for all that (or required me to buy a new car), then it's been well worth it. Just my two cents.

I paid for FSD and I love new games and fun new features. Settle down, life isn’t that bad guys.

True #firstworldproblems

I disagree.

It has been at least three years of Elon promises and FSD does work for a few. It could be released with left turn confirmations. Or even any turn confirmation. But it hasn’t.

And the holiday update is not V11 nor FSD anything.

So are the batteries, GigaBerlin/Austin and the unbreakable Cybertruck also smoke and mirrors?

I think some people had the expectation (how dare they!!!) that they would indeed get something related to driving improvements in return after paying $8 or $10k for FSD. Instead, they get something frivolous written by Work-from-Home interns for interns!

You know Teslas are meant for the financial upper crust of society when there are people who would pay $10k for basically hype, then get ridiculed for daring to expect something of actual value in return.

We're all in the same boat. Dump $7000 into an option in 2019 because it was advertised as being functional by the end of the year. Then all throughout this fscking year they advertised it as being functional by the end of the year. Now 2021 is coming and I'm sure it'll be advertised again as being functional by the end of the year.
You should have added a sentence about waiting all of 2020 also. :p

No, I wouldn't rather have stupid video games. And since FSD Beta works better than current AP, they should put it out. The tiny updates they release - even if from a different group - should still improve the current fsd, but they don't. I still can't go down a canyon road without the car going over double lines and trying to crash into cliff walls. Yet I watch people w fsd go down the same road with ease. Also when you tease it's going to be a big update with things you want and things you didn't know you wanted, then I'd expect bigger changes than video games and visualizations. He knows people are waiting on fsd beta, so why make a big stink like something amazing is coming on Xmas? Doesn't make sense that there not only wasn't fsd beta, but there also wasn't anything that he's promised (e.g. Bird's eye view, option to make side cameras bigger in reverse, etc).

This isn't like previous years where he promised fsd and didn't deliver. This time everyone can see that the beta works. Is it perfect? No. But now we know it exists and he's not just making stuff up. It seemed like a real possibility we'd all get the beta.

So yeah, I'm frustrated. I paid for FSD as a Xmas gift to myself. I used a good chunk of my savings. And to not even get the beta is the cherry on top of 2020. It's seriously insulting to put out VIDEO GAMES!

If I owned Tesla, the very LAST thing I would do, is send this FSD Beta in its current form, out to some of the guys in this thread. :)
It could be perfect, and you guys would find something to find completely unacceptable, terrible, and the worst thing Tesla has ever done to you. :)
Oh the drama. Reminds me of young kids seeking attention.

download.jpg

I think some people had the expectation (how dare they!!!) that they would indeed get something related to driving improvements in return after paying $8 or $10k for FSD. Instead, they get something frivolous written by Work-from-Home interns for interns!

You know Teslas are meant for the financial upper crust of society when there are people who would pay $10k for basically hype, then get ridiculed for daring to expect something of actual value in return.
It’s more like oblivious entitlement. Sorry, but if you bought FSD any time in the past couple years, despite ALL the evidence to the contrary demonstrating delay after delay after delay and vaporware promise after vaporware promise, and then get in here all butthurt like “I WANT A GOLDEN GOOSE NOW, DADDY”, you’re not gonna get much sympathy from me.

I mean, there’s no real excuse for not understanding how it works at this point. You’ll get it when it’s ready. It’s not ready. It may never be ready. This is what you paid for.

Also I don’t know who runs that Teslascope twatter, but their conclusions and interpretations of Elon’s post seem completely speculative and goofy.

Who says today’s release is “half” of what was planned? Who’s the “we” that expects, without any actual information, that the other half of the features are coming in two weeks or less?

Reactions: boonedocks
It’s more like oblivious entitlement. Sorry, but if you bought FSD any time in the past couple years, despite ALL the evidence to the contrary demonstrating delay after delay after delay and vaporware promise after vaporware promise, and then get in here all butthurt like “I WANT A GOLDEN GOOSE NOW, DADDY”, you’re not gonna get much sympathy from me.

I mean, there’s no real excuse for not understanding how it works at this point. You’ll get it when it’s ready. It’s not ready. It may never be ready. This is what you paid for.

Don't disagree in the substance of your statements; however, the current Tesla stock price and profitability is built on their ability to sell to a much wider audience than the small cult-like following they used to have. As such, Tesla would be wise to tread a middle ground and at least offer something substantial in return (that rumored 360 overhead view for FSD customers would be nice) for the $10k donation made by new buyers who believe (enough so to put their money where their mouth is) in Tesla's promise, but did not realize that paying something for nothing is also part of the game, like some kind of fraternity hazing.

This is the difference between Tesla being able to keep one $10k check coming after another (like a real business) coming versus having buyers feel like suckers after a one-time $10k donation to the altar of Musk.

Last edited:

We can see the videos on YT with all the beta testers saying how impressive it is. If the current AP can't even drive down a windy road, then any advancemwnt beyond that is worth putting out. It's one thing to say "FSD will be out at the end of 2017." It's another to show I'm 2020 that it's clearly pretty good, though not perfect, then announce a "lit" update on Twitter, then put out a few video games and a bunch of nothing changes. Where's Bird's eye view? Where's pretty much anything he's mentioned over the past year that's not fsd? It's gotten to the point where there should be lawsuits for false advertising. If I'd bought my car in 2017, I would be livid.

If you aren't going to put out something that is a leap forward, then don't announce it. That's why there's so much backlash here. Or maybe even just say, "cool updates coming, but not fsd." He knows that's what everyone is waiting for, he put out a tweet that gave a nod to a major update, and instead it's just another incrimental upgrade.

It's been said many times that Teslas are for rich folk. The lowest end Tesla is the SR+ which is $39900 USD. No other options. FSD is $10K extra so that would put it at $49K USD. That sounds expensive, yes? BUT ... the best selling vehicle in the USA is the Ford F-150. And according to Ford, the average transaction price for the truck is $46,700 USD. That means that a lot of folks -- who I don't think are that rich -- can "afford" an F-150 at $47K which means they can afford a Tesla Model 3 SR+ with or without FSD.

Now you can argue that maybe these folks really can't afford an F-150 at $47K, but you can't say that Teslas are only for rich folk since the SR+ price range is actually lower than the best selling vehicle in the USA. If they can somehow afford an F-150, they certainly can afford an SR+. They just like pickups and are willing to pay for them. It's not a price issue -- it's an image issue. And the cybertruck is poised to take this marketshare, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: blckdmp and Slate

I’m pretty sure anyone that paid $10k for FSD should have known full well what they were getting into, it’s not a secret at this point. *sugar* I got in at $6k and knew what to expect.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
It's been said many times that Teslas are for rich folk. The lowest end Tesla is the SR+ which is $39900 USD. No other options. FSD is $10K extra so that would put it at $49K USD. That sounds expensive, yes? BUT ... the best selling vehicle in the USA is the Ford F-150. And according to Ford, the average transaction price for the truck is $46,700 USD. That means that a lot of folks -- who I don't think are that rich -- can "afford" an F-150 at $47K which means they can afford a Tesla Model 3 SR+ with or without FSD.

Now you can argue that maybe these folks really can't afford an F-150 at $47K, but you can't say that Teslas are only for rich folk since the SR+ price range is actually lower than the best selling vehicle in the USA. If they can somehow afford an F-150, they certainly can afford an SR+. They just like pickups and are willing to pay for them. It's not a price issue -- it's an image issue. And the cybertruck is poised to take this marketshare, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

but when they buy the Ford, are they also paying for a $5000 upgraded night vision windshield, and then Ford keeps pushing back installing it for 3 years? And won’t let you transfer the option to a new vehicle, since it’s ford’s fault it’s not finished?