Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2020.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, what’s your artwork issue? I play music from my iPhone, and sometimes it uses totally the wrong album art. Usually the right artist, but wrong album.

While we’re on the topic, it’s annoying that longer titles are truncated. They could scroll, or let you touch for a more complete display or something.

Oh, and a time bar would be nice too.

Wish list for tonight. ;)

Agreed on all the above.

The reason it uses the wrong artwork is that Tesla for some reason reverted artwork grabbing from the car’s data plan rather than from the iPhone, and it gets it wrong at times, or - more often - just has the musical note with no artwork at all. It’s especially annoying since Tesla had fixed this issue a few months back and then reverted it to this broken system.

Grrrr!

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
BUG w/ Bluetooth and iPhone 11 Pro Max

I updated my car last night and today the car would loose connectivity with the phone when playing music if I use skip track several times. It requires rebooting the computer and then manually reconnecting the iPhone. Anyone else experiencing this?

I got 2020.8.1 yesterday, and last night the car was charging very slow (only 1 kW or 5 A instead of 24 A) all the night.
I unplugged and plugged or rebooted without any success.

Model 3 2020.8.1 Slow Charging.jpg

Did you unplug and replug your cable that attaches to the adapter that plugs into your outlet? That connection can loosen over time just due to the weight of the cable. If out sufficiently, the lights on the adapter will change from green to red. But I think it can result in the issue you are experiencing without being disconnected to that extent.

I got 2020.8.1 yesterday, and last night the car was charging very slow (only 1 kW or 5 A instead of 24 A) all the night.
I unplugged and plugged or rebooted without any success.

View attachment 520681

Check your charge settings on the 15" screen inside your car. I've seen the charge current be limited to 5A for no apparent reason (even at the same location where the limit was higher on the last charge there), but you can increase it back to 48A manually (or whatever your car's limit is).

I got 2020.8.1 yesterday, when the plug is inserted (charging or not) and if I seat inside and close the door
the central screen turns off and displays only the charging page (see picture below).

If I open the door I can again access the main display and access all the car setting menus or the web browser.

If I remove the plug, and seat inside the car and close the door, everything is normal.

Don't this release has a function transferring your phone to your car display after you seat and close the door?
- So I turned Bluetooth on my phone and used only my access card, but still when the car is plugged,
when I seat inside and close the door then the display turns off and shows the charging page (see picture below).

Note: This is similar to be seating on the passenger side, where when you close the door then the screen turn off.

Model 3 2020.8.1 Display Locked .jpg

Check your charge settings on the 15" screen inside your car. I've seen the charge current be limited to 5A for no apparent reason (even at the same location where the limit was higher on the last charge there), but you can increase it back to 48A manually (or whatever your car's limit is).
Hi, I did checked the Max setting but is was not changed and still set to 24 A and cannot go above (see picture below)

Model 3 2020.8.1 Max Limit set to 24 A .jpg

Did you unplug and replug your cable that attaches to the adapter that plugs into your outlet?
That connection can loosen over time just due to the weight of the cable.
If out sufficiently, the lights on the adapter will change from green to red.
But I think it can result in the issue you are experiencing without being disconnected to that extent.
I just checked the lights on the portable charger and they were all green.
When I start to charge, the green lights are circulating toward the direction of the car

I have a power switch next to my charger, so I turned it off and on but still charging at 1 kWh?
The portable charger is hold by a bracket so it is no hanging under the plug.

I will go to to a public L2 charger and a Tesla Supercharger, to see if there is any speed limitation?
I cannot use my car if I have only 1 kWh charging... luckily I still have my previous car.

Note: I have the Scan My Tesla diagnostic information, I wonder if I could find any additional information.
I think the total battery capacity displayed is about 76 kWh.

Last edited:
I got 2020.8.1 yesterday, when the plug is inserted (charging or not) and if I seat inside and close the door
the central screen turns off and displays only the charging page (see picture below).

If I open the door I can again access the main display and access all the car setting menus or the web browser.

If I remove the plug, and seat inside the car and close the door, everything is normal.

Are you sitting in the driver seat? If so, there is an issue detecting your weight. If not, try sitting in the driver seat instead of the passenger seat.

Don't this release has a function transferring your phone to your car display after you seat and close the door?

No, in this release the only difference is that it will not transfer AUDIO from your phone to the car's entertainment system until you sit in the driver's seat. This is to avoid the car hijacking your phone audio until you are ready to go for a drive.

I love that new feature by the way. I usually start my day by listening to a podcast via AirPods. Sometimes, as I get ready to bike to work, I realize I forgot something my car, but if I open any door the audio redirects from going to my AirPods to the car. It used to be very frustrating as I would lose a few seconds of the podcast, then it would just pause after I closed the car doors. Thank you Tesla for fixing this!

Hi, I did checked the Max setting but is was not changed and still set to 24 A and cannot go above (see picture below)

I just checked the lights on the portable charger and they were all green.
When I start to charge, the green lights are circulating toward the direction of the car

I have a power switch next to my charger, so I turned it off and on but still charging at 1 kWh?
The portable charger is hold by a bracket so it is no hanging under the plug.

I will go to to a public L2 charger and a Tesla Supercharger, to see if there is any speed limitation?
I cannot use my car if I have only 1 kWh charging... luckily I still have my previous car.

Note: I have the Scan My Tesla diagnostic information, I wonder if I could find any additional information.
I think the total battery capacity displayed is about 76 kWh.

What kind of socket are you plugging in your charger to? This sounds like an issue with the power from the socket.
The car is saying you can go up to 24A but it's not able to draw more than 5A, which points to a power source limitation.

Definitely try it at a public L2 charger. At superchargers, the car bypasses the onboard AC/DC converter, so that won't help you troubleshoot.

Use SMT to check the max charge power. I'll bet you it's much higher than 1kW!

What kind of socket are you plugging in your charger to? This sounds like an issue with the power from the socket.
The car is saying you can go up to 24A but it's not able to draw more than 5A, which points to a power source limitation.

Definitely try it at a public L2 charger. At superchargers, the car bypasses the onboard AC/DC converter, so that won't help you troubleshoot.

Use SMT to check the max charge power. I'll bet you it's much higher than 1kW!
Hi, Thank you for following up, but I have my portable charger connected to a NEMA 14-30
for more than a year with no problem getting 24 A even when I try getting 100%.
I also I have a Wattmeter next to my NEMA plug, so I can check Voltage and current.
It's just since I got 2020.4.1 and a new FSD 3.0 installed that I I have those charger issues.

Arghh!!!! So, they introduce XFAT support, but only for dashcam and sentry? What is the point of that? I formatted a 128 GB USB drive with XFAT and copied a bunch of music to it but the car will not even recognize it!

Thanks for adding a new version of track mode that I might use once a year, but still stuck with 1990's FAT32 and non-resuming USB music for the daily commute!

C'mon Elon, this is a $65k car!

ianc

Hi, Thank you for following up, but I have my portable charger connected to a NEMA 14-30
for more than a year with no problem getting 24 A even when I try getting 100%.
I also I have a Wattmeter next to my NEMA plug, so I can check Voltage and current.
It's just since I got 2020.4.1 and a new FSD 3.0 installed that I I have those charger issues.

Do you mean 2020.8.1? What does the current read on your wattmeter while charging? Have you had an electrician check your power source?

Here's another idea: have a friend with a Tesla stop by and charge with the same charger on the same socket. If they can charge at the full 24A, then it's your car that has the problem. If not, then it's your power source.

Do you mean 2020.8.1?
What does the current read on your wattmeter while charging?
Have you had an electrician check your power source?
Here's another idea: have a friend with a Tesla stop by and charge with the same charger on the same socket.
If they can charge at the full 24A, then it's your car that has the problem. If not, then it's your power source.
The Wattmetter displays the same values than the one on the car display panel.

I also tested my portable charger with a NEMA 5-15 (120 V 15 A) and a NEMA TT30 (120 V 30 A) plug and got also 5 A max.
It seems that my internal AC-DC converter get limited to the 5 A minimum value that you can set on the display.

The L2 Public chargers that I know are often full during the day, so I will try tonight to be sure that this is not a problem with my portable charger.

Yes, sorry, I got the 2020.8.1 and I have other issues, such I cannot use the car icons on the left side display to open the frunk and trunk.
But I can still open them using my phone app.

Model 3 2020.8 Slow Charging 120 V 5 A.jpg

Note: Sorry, I wish I could just put a Thumbnail but only the Full Image can be inserted.