Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2020.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my car from the service center for the HW3 (FSD) computer retrofit and spoke to a tech about firmware updates (mine was still on 2020.4.1).

According to him, batches of VINs are released by the mothership every 24 hours for new updates, and service centers can't request the update until they appear as valid for your specific VIN.

The tech checked my car's status and it only showed 2020.4.1 as the latest available, however he also noticed I was due for Nav data update (the FSD computer regressed it from 2019.20 to 2019.6) and according to him, that needs to be done before he can check for latest firmware versions.

Last edited:
I own a December 2016 Tesla MCU1/AP2 Model S90D and installed 2020.8.1 at 1:00 am this morning. The only things updated were:
  • Bluetooth Improvements
  • Improved Voice Commands
A495EF8B-E814-4FE2-B34D-DFE017312154.jpeg

THIS IS GETTING old..where the hell is the update?

seriously losing it here

just send out the damn update to all the performance cars please..why the hell are some of us just left waiting around?

Whoa dude, settle down. I’m sure the update will start rolling out again soon. Could be many reasons why Tesla paused the deployment. It’s rare for a new update to get pushed out to a majority of cars immediately. This is a completely normal rollout for a new update.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
THIS IS GETTING old..where the hell is the update?

seriously losing it here

just send out the damn update to all the performance cars please..why the hell are some of us just left waiting around?

since you have a 2020... I'm assuming you're new to the software update process. This is how it goes. They do a small number, then a day or two later, slightly more, eventually they hit the "everyone" button. Sometimes you are in the first batch...sometimes in the "everyone" batch. Sometimes an update suddenly stops and the next day a .x release starts. Note this one started with 2020.8 for just a few, then it was 2020.8.1...

They do this so they don't push a bug to several hundred thousand cards all at once (and also their servers would melt down if every single car tried to download on the same day).

The only thing you can do is make sure your software update switch is set to "Advanced" although there is yet to be any evidence that this does anything. Some people have more than one Tesla with one set to Advanced and the other not... and it's random for them which one gets updated first.

It's a crap shoot. Every. Single. Time. So if you're gonna lose it each time, it's gonna be a stressful ownership experience. Especially if/when they pick up the pace like last year and the updates come every couple of weeks.

since you have a 2020... I'm assuming you're new to the software update process. This is how it goes. They do a small number, then a day or two later, slightly more, eventually they hit the "everyone" button. Sometimes you are in the first batch...sometimes in the "everyone" batch. Sometimes an update suddenly stops and the next day a .x release starts. Note this one started with 2020.8 for just a few, then it was 2020.8.1...

They do this so they don't push a bug to several hundred thousand cards all at once (and also their servers would melt down if every single car tried to download on the same day).

The only thing you can do is make sure your software update switch is set to "Advanced" although there is yet to be any evidence that this does anything. Some people have more than one Tesla with one set to Advanced and the other not... and it's random for them which one gets updated first.

It's a crap shoot. Every. Single. Time. So if you're gonna lose it each time, it's gonna be a stressful ownership experience. Especially if/when they pick up the pace like last year and the updates come every couple of weeks.
thanks..I literally havent cared about any past updates until this track mode v2 update..
to show you how much this update means to me, I will share a tweet of mine from before I even took delivery of my p3d+
Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 7.09.48 PM.png

iPhone 11 Pro Max. Apple Music.
Ah, what’s your artwork issue? I play music from my iPhone, and sometimes it uses totally the wrong album art. Usually the right artist, but wrong album.

While we’re on the topic, it’s annoying that longer titles are truncated. They could scroll, or let you touch for a more complete display or something.

Oh, and a time bar would be nice too.

Wish list for tonight. ;)