Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so my theory's still alive--that those that started with older SW versions but updated to 1.19.31 are having most of the issues.
I forget which version I started with. I guess I should look back at my old posts. That said, I'm certain of...
Code:
... -> v.1.15.8 -> v.15.14 (unprompted) -> v.1.17.50 -> v1.19.31
... and my car's been faring well.

Edit:
Hm, looking at the wiki I bet I started with v1.15.8 since I took delivery on 11/12/2012.

Monday eve: Had poor connectivity, rebooted just the touch screen, but the car went black while driving - both screens. No directionals (blinkers) during that time, in or out of the car. Took a few min to reboot. Was driving the whole time. Ownership is aware. I reboot due to some bug almost everyday or 3 out of five at least. Few times car remained fully functional after I left the car - with no key in car. Not annoyed. Tesla will get it right, even if my blinkers can't get right or left. In need of an update. Ben, how is it?

Sorry to throw a wrench into the prevailing theory, but I've been on .31 for > 2 weeks and have only had to do the reboot sequence once, and that was a day or two after the update. Other than that, and for the last two weeks or more, I've had no problems except for the "auto present handles" feature not being reliable. I've turned it off for now until the next update.

just a data point here: i went out of town for 10 days, left the car plugged in, 14-50 set to 24A (not sure if that setting stuck after first charge..? was back on 40 when i looked..) with about 180 miles on it.

came back, all fine. car sitting with 231 miles, happy as clam. no 12v batt issues (was nervous, slightly), no other kinks. just fyi.

this is 4.1 (.31) on VIN ~1600. (and, this is a ca car, so temps never got much below 45...)

Do you have the car displays set to sleep, or still on the original setting?

i have 'keep displays powered' set to off. not sure if that is default or not. but i never felt the need to have the car startup any faster. it's fine for me if it takes a few seconds while i put my phone down and seatbelt on, whatever. never been an issue. that said, i was also on the side of not fretting about another 3 or 4 miles a day being spent on keeping a couple microchips powered. for my use i plug in most days and my driving requirements aren't such that i need every last mile available to me everyday. if i do i'll make sure to charge with my departure time in mind. fwiw...

i have 'keep displays powered' set to off. not sure if that is default or not. but i never felt the need to have the car startup any faster. it's fine for me if it takes a few seconds while i put my phone down and seatbelt on, whatever. never been an issue. that said, i was also on the side of not fretting about another 3 or 4 miles a day being spent on keeping a couple microchips powered. for my use i plug in most days and my driving requirements aren't such that i need every last mile available to me everyday. if i do i'll make sure to charge with my departure time in mind. fwiw...

Do you have "range driving mode" set to on? If so, the displays will sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity regardless of the "keep displays powered" setting.

Know 4.2 is out, but still... This happened on 4.1 yesterday. Wife drives the car, makes a call over bluetooth, finishes the call, but now all sounds are gone. No radio, no blinkers sound, and the rearview camera doesn't come on when in reverse. I drive the car and notice there is a bit of noise coming from the speakers.

After parked for a while (I have range drive mode on) letting the screens shut down so they boot again when coming back, showing the brief Tesla logo while booting, everything is back to normal.

Thinking the car never understood that the phone call was over... Anyway, that is the first problem we've had with 4.1.

Know 4.2 is out, but still... This happened on 4.1 yesterday. Wife drives the car, makes a call over bluetooth, finishes the call, but now all sounds are gone. No radio, no blinkers sound, and the rearview camera doesn't come on when in reverse. I drive the car and notice there is a bit of noise coming from the speakers.

After parked for a while (I have range drive mode on) letting the screens shut down so they boot again when coming back, showing the brief Tesla logo while booting, everything is back to normal.

Thinking the car never understood that the phone call was over... Anyway, that is the first problem we've had with 4.1.
Which brings to mind a question I had regarding ending phone call. If the call was initiated outside, how do you end it? Because it was initiated elsewhere, the phone app isn't active on the 17". Not aware of any button on the steering wheel to end call. Do you have to activate the phone app in order to terminate. Up to now, I just let the caller's termination eventually cause my phone to terminate.

Which brings to mind a question I had regarding ending phone call. If the call was initiated outside, how do you end it? Because it was initiated elsewhere, the phone app isn't active on the 17". Not aware of any button on the steering wheel to end call. Do you have to activate the phone app in order to terminate. Up to now, I just let the caller's termination eventually cause my phone to terminate.

Related to this... The car also get confused when I use Siri and thinks I'm on a call. Then I have to "end" the call on the car's touchscreen like you describe.

Press the upper-right button on the steering wheel, (phone should be selected), then use the scroll wheel to end the call.

Press the upper-right button on the steering wheel, (phone should be selected), then use the scroll wheel to end the call.

this. (tho, hm, it may be the lower right button on steering wheel.. is upper right the voice commands..?)

but i will add a related bug: and that is that i find sometimes when i get in the car after having been listening to something on my phone when last driving, and i then select a media source other than phone -- in looking at my phone i find the last file i was playing in the car is still playing even though the car is now set to monitor something else. a bt c+c issue... could be an annoying phone battery drain if not noticed. fyi.

Last edited:
this. (tho, hm, it may be the lower right button on steering wheel.. is upper right the voice commands..?)

FlasherZ is correct. While in a call, press the upper-right steering wheel button (voice control) for the phone commands (such as mute, hold + answer, end call, etc.).

Since the manual is so flimsy right now :), I only figured this out by asking a Tesla ownership person.

FlasherZ is correct. While in a call, press the upper-right steering wheel button (voice control) for the phone commands (such as mute, hold + answer, end call, etc.).

Since the manual is so flimsy right now :), I only figured this out by asking a Tesla ownership person.

OK.. awesome.. so *where* is the FAQ that TMC has going? So much knowledge peppered around these forums….

> No directionals (blinkers) during that time, in or out of the car. [ModelS1079]

I've never driven or owned a car without HARD WIRED turn signals / 4-ways. That would be be considered a crime against nature in my book. Or at least against DOT rules. Signal lighting *should be* repairable by any auto-electric shop. What possible advantage to be gained by including traffic signalling in software/firmware? That's how Mercedes wires their steering column?? [exit stage left, babbling to self].
--

"At Tesla, we make it rocket science!"

Went out to dinner with some friends last night and was extolling the virtues of the S, including the walk-away locking. As we walked away I kept watching until we were about 25 yards away, assuring them that the lights would go out and the handles retract any moment now. We then went into the restaurant, and came back to the car a couple of hours later. While the headlamps were out when we returned, the handles were still extended with the handle lights illuminated. Is this a known issue with 4.1(1.19.31)?

me too on 4.1 (1.19.31) for many days, no issues. and i note, knock on wood, i have not had to reboot any systems at all so far since taking delivery. on ONE occasion i did have an instance of turn signal not dinging, and the radio audio cut out for a second as well, but it fixed itself after couple seconds. we are driving a computer after all. it's not gonna be totally bug free just yet. some of these things that people are 'rebooting' displays for i feel are simply sub-systems taking a second to wake up and login to the data gateway in the car, so the temp setting and things like that will probably fix themselves after a minute or two.

i agree these little glitches shouldn't happen, but i for one, as an avid tmc reader as we all are, would appreciate a little less hysteria (not pointed at anyone in particular, just in general) about things when reporting them. some things, like stranded at a snowy roadside with dead 12v, yes, get slightly hysterical, seems warranted. things like no temp readout or momentarily absent sound fx... well, can we just keep a little perspective? by all means report it, and i do wish tm had a bug reporter system in place so they can be compiling all these events and sifting for important ones and persistent ones and the like, but maybe we can keep a little calmitude in relaying info to the group about our experiences with the car/software as we go. i'm getting to the point where i don't read certain threads anymore because people are posting the same freaked out posts over and over and the actual flow of information and meaningful discussion is near zero at times... AGAIN, not in any way directed at any post/poster in particular, or even this thread in particular (it just occurred to me again here, so i mention it.)

hopefully tm is working on a direct, simple, bug/issue reporting system that will enable all of us to feel confident that the powers that be have the feedback they can use to keep making the car better and better, and we won't feel the need to howl into the tmc wind quite as much. :)

Here's to TM working on a direct, simple bug/issue/reporting/resolution system. I would much prefer being a TMC driver than a TMC reader:rolleyes: