Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went out to dinner with some friends last night and was extolling the virtues of the S, including the walk-away locking. As we walked away I kept watching until we were about 25 yards away, assuring them that the lights would go out and the handles retract any moment now. We then went into the restaurant, and came back to the car a couple of hours later. While the headlamps were out when we returned, the handles were still extended with the handle lights illuminated. Is this a known issue with 4.1(1.19.31)?

no chance there was a fob left in car...?

Parked car in my garage tonight. Put in park, closed doors and slacker radio stayed on and display stayed on. I used the fob to lock the car, but they stayed on. After a minute they were still on and so I went back in the car and put the radio on pause, closed and locked the doors, but the display stayed on. After a while it went off. I still have 4.1. I add this to the list for my service center visit tomorrow.

My MS was delivered with 4.1. I have had most of the normal bugs with 4.1 but I have disable the sleep mode and have not plugged in for two days and everything is fine. I wonder if there is a combination of charging/sleep that is causing the bugs.

I always look and check. Sometimes I just tap the FOB so it does it right away.

i spent the first week waiting till the handles retracted before officially leaving the parking area, but it always did it (except when once a door wasn't fully closed).. so i'm now just walking away, like a 70s tv show cop, and it's always locked when i come back. to have distrust in this function would be awful.. gotta trust that the car will lock itself if you walk away. that's fundamental. so, any glitches in this area need solving pronto afaic.

i spent the first week waiting till the handles retracted before officially leaving the parking area, but it always did it (except when once a door wasn't fully closed).. so i'm now just walking away, like a 70s tv show cop, and it's always locked when i come back. to have distrust in this function would be awful.. gotta trust that the car will lock itself if you walk away. that's fundamental. so, any glitches in this area need solving pronto afaic.

The reason I don't trust just walking away is I once had my rear right door pop open to the second click when I parked, and that caused the car not to lock. Only happened once, but forever careful now.

One question just so I'm absolutely certain. If you walk away from the car and somebody jumps in before it locks they can't go anywhere right? Doesn't the car have to sense the fob in the proximity of the drivers seat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Went out to dinner with some friends last night and was extolling the virtues of the S, including the walk-away locking. As we walked away I kept watching until we were about 25 yards away, assuring them that the lights would go out and the handles retract any moment now. We then went into the restaurant, and came back to the car a couple of hours later. While the headlamps were out when we returned, the handles were still extended with the handle lights illuminated. Is this a known issue with 4.1(1.19.31)?

I've had this happen when my wife didn't close the passenger door all the way. Since I pulled the drain plug cover at the bottom of the door, this hasn't been a problem, and the door latches with a normal amount of effort.

I've needed to reboot the main screen 3 times in as many days with 4.1 because the screen is not functioning correctly.

1) Stays in 'Night Mode'
2) Turn signals work, but don't get the 'ding ding' audio. Which as quickly become my indication that I need a reboot.
3) General flakiness, noticed this morning the air suspension wouldn't work (fixing a curb rash today, so needed to enable JACK mode).

Reboot fixes it. This might be related to screen sleep (which is enabled).

Anyone else have this problem?

Note to Mods: Probably should have a separate sticky thread per firmware version.

I had the exact same problems this afternoon. I didn't reboot, but after sitting for about 6 hours, everything is working again.

datapoint: been on 4.1 since new years, no issues. today i came back from dinner and the car had unlocked, screens on. upon driving, the rear cam wouldn't come on, the temp readout was dashes, blinker sound fx not working, etc.. the usual as we've read recently. i drove for a while to see if it would reset itself but finally had to reboot the 17" with the roller wheels, which fixed everything. just wanted to post that this finally hit me, and to note that this is the first time i've had to reset a screen since taking delivery. point of interest: i have had my car on 'keep displays powered' set to off... i have now switched that to on. at least until 4.2 dl's. will see what happens...

I've had same issue with display going on fritz (temp, turn signals, milage, etc.) 1 time only during 4 weeks on 4.1. Once I learned to reboot, it was fixed and haven't had any recurrence.

I, for one, am NOT changing sleep mode (display off) setting - nor will I necessarily install 4.2 when it arrives. I frequently drive to second house, which is 90 miles away with limited (110) charging. I'll gladly trade 4.1 occasional (once for me) reboot in exchange for keeping sleep mode and thereby reducing overnight drain.

If reboot issue gets chronic, then I'll reconsider the sleep mode setting, but that has not been the case.

I lost 3G connectivity while driving (showed no signal, no map data), even though there's a strong signal here, but rebooted while driving and it came back in 30 seconds. I'm on .31.

This is such a scary thing to do. You're basically driving blind for 30 seconds. Those 30 seconds or so seem like forever because you don't know how fast you're going, and i'm not even sure the indicator (signal) lights work.

This is such a scary thing to do. You're basically driving blind for 30 seconds. Those 30 seconds or so seem like forever because you don't know how fast you're going, and i'm not even sure the indicator (signal) lights work.

The 17" screen can reboot separately from the smaller LCD screen as well so sometimes you don't lose that information assuming both don't reboot at the same time.