Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very cool Flash. Do you love it?

It includes much of the toolkit you might expect to have as an owner, and I am very pleased with it. There are a few things that will probably have to come later. I agreed that I would only demonstrate its capabilities at the show starting next Thursday, so I can't say too much right now about specifics. Most owners will be happy with the functionality.

They've completely removed the sleep mode option from the settings screen. So yes, I guess it is using more 12V and main battery power but I will make the system more stable.

I guess the continuous draw from the screens might help to prevent overcharging the 12V aux battery?

Given the number of issues that cropped up with 4.1 I wouldn't be surprised to see 4.2 rolled out those cars first.

Lately, nearly all firmware releases were halted mid-rollout because new bugs popped up. Eventually TM will sort it out, but IMHO they need to spend more time with testing, or slow down the "new features" pace.

It includes much of the toolkit you might expect to have as an owner ...

Including the ability to stream video or even just still photos from the rear camera? Okay, so I know you can't answer but it just occurred to mr today as an interesting potential feature. The expected core feature set will make for a nice enough start.

... and I agree 100% on addressing stability first and foremost and features as a secondary concern. A vehicle needs to feel absolutely reliable, and most people would find it extremely disconcerting to reboot while driving. (Of course I had to do so just for the experience. Even knowing full well that the dashboard user experience isn't responsible for my control over the vehicle didn't stop it from feeling a little unreal.)

As for convenience, you can schedule the update for any time you want it to update. So I see o issue with convenience. I have found it seemless.

OK, if that is the case, then I am assuming that charging continues uninterrupted during updates? I can just picture having a few day stretch with a lot to do and crazy hours needing a quick charge here and a quick charge there, which would effectively prohibit updating for a number of days (particularly for updates that take a couple of hours) UNLESS you can just do it during the 2 hours you were going to have to charge the car anyway.

My schedule is a bit more irregular than most, with constant switching between days/nights/evenings etc. for work so if I was working a lot of oddly juxtaposed hours for a few days in a row I might only have 4 hours at home to sleep before getting up and turning around to go back at it again. In that case, does the car charge normally while updating? OR does updating put charging on hold while the update occurs?

I appreciate the info/impressions of others immensely.

Cheers.

It might be due to the fact the car isn't asleep but the iPhone app connects in seconds now instead of a minute or two. Much better.

That sounds like they've implemented the car side in the display computer rather than the core VMS. That worries me, as how are they going to get this to work effectively if the computer that runs the display can go into deep sleep (to avoid vampire drain)?

That sounds like they've implemented the car side in the display computer rather than the core VMS. That worries me, as how are they going to get this to work effectively if the computer that runs the display can go into deep sleep (to avoid vampire drain)?

I would imagine it's the same as Tesla reaching out to your car to collect information -- in my case, for example, Tesla had to log into my car to expunge some bad album art cache entries. A "wake-up" signal could be sent via the 3G, and then the app will connect to the broader management stack running on the now awake computer.

When you are talking about them not including sleep mode in this update is that the same as the setting to not let the screens go to sleep (stay powered ON)? If so, the warning given if you try to set to keep the screens powered ON says that this can adversely affect the main battery over time and also reduce the life of the 12V battery. Is it ok to still do this???
I believe it says "adversely affect the electrical system". Warning seems a little strong. I'm leaving mine ON as it was in 4.0 Never had any issues.
Otherwise might not get update 4.2 :wink:

4.2 (1.19.41) installed on my Model S. The pano roof appears to be a bit more responsive but still jumps to vent first before opening upon first test. Will see if my other issues resolve around the staying on, temp going to "---", etc...

Pano opens immediately to any position now with 4.1, so fixed that bug. If your Pano still stops at 'vent' and does not open directly to what you choose call tesla, you probably have a defective roof or sensor.