Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.3 - basic charging scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they just programed the finish time like the Rav 4EV setup, that would be great!!

Rav 4EV has:
1. 7 day program finish schedule
2. 7 day climate pre-condition
3. Both charge and precondition schedule
4. Charge now button
5. Range charge button

I would at minimum expect all of these functions to be present.

I not only want to set the time to start but also the level to stop. If i only travel 30 miles per day, 150miles may be fine.

How about a setting that will time out the charge based on when you will next need the car? Doesn't slower charging extend battery life? If you know you won't need the car until 7am, it could use just enough juice to have a finished charge by the time you set it for.

How about a setting that will time out the charge based on when you will next need the car? Doesn't slower charging extend battery life? If you know you won't need the car until 7am, it could use just enough juice to have a finished charge by the time you set it for.
Even with twin chargers, you'll be charging at <0.25C. Charging at rates above 1C can be problematic, but we're well below that threshold. Taking longer to charge simply reduces the overall efficiency of the process.

The Tesla Watertown service manager told me a certain well known Model S owner might already be beta testing 4.3, I'm not going to name him, but all of us know him. Maybe he'll chime in :)

I suspect that, like the beta-testing of the mobile app, that those involved are bound by non-disclosure agreements and it's unlikely you'll hear from those individuals.

Even with twin chargers, you'll be charging at <0.25C. Charging at rates above 1C can be problematic, but we're well below that threshold. Taking longer to charge simply reduces the overall efficiency of the process.

But wouldn't you also be creating some heat the higher the current, leading to the battery management to need to cool the pack which would reduce overall efficiency?

But wouldn't you also be creating some heat the higher the current, leading to the battery management to need to cool the pack which would reduce overall efficiency?

It depends on how high is high, how low is low, and the ambient temperature. My BORTF-WAG is that anything over 30 amps is going to be efficient except in the hottest ambient temperatures in which case charging at greater than 50 amps will cause excessive cooling power to be used. We'll know this summer.

Apparently 4.3 has so many fixes that it needs time to test thoroughly which I appreciate, but I keep falling asleep without charging my car at 12 and my wife hates the $200 electricity bills. She keeps asking me why I said charging would be practically free :(

While you're waiting, how about turning the charging amps down so that it takes all night to charge? That way at least you'd be getting some of your charging at the lower electric rate.