Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.3 - basic charging scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my upgrade to 4.3 a couple of days ago. But ever since the update I can not turn the air conditioning off anymore. Changing the setting from AC On to AC Off isn't doing anything. Today was a warm day (>30C) and while the sunroof was open I didn't want the AC running. But despite turning it off it continued to blow called air. Anyone else noticed that?

I think this may be on purpose. HID (Xenon) lamps are life limited by on/off cycles (specifically cold on/off cycles) versus burn time. So you really don't want your lamps turning on and off all the time. So if you lamps turn on they should stay lit, at least until they are fully heated up. In Atlanta we have so many wide bridges over the interstate around down town I see people's lights go on and off a whole lot. I cringe about burning down their HIDs.

I cringe whenever I flash my lights when they are not already on. As my car kicks on the HIDs then off in a second. Really bad for lamp life.

are the Model S's headlights Xenon? i thought they were LED.

edit: they are halogen. the cat-eyes are LED. so no need to worry about flashing...

Got my upgrade to 4.3 a couple of days ago. But ever since the update I can not turn the air conditioning off anymore. Changing the setting from AC On to AC Off isn't doing anything. Today was a warm day (>30C) and while the sunroof was open I didn't want the AC running. But despite turning it off it continued to blow called air. Anyone else noticed that?

try rebooting, both center console and instrument cluster, although it's probably only the former that requires it. i'll bet it clears up your issue.

- - - Updated - - -

The headlights are HID (Xenon) when you get the tech package. You can hear the arc strike when you flash the bulbs. And there is about a 0.5 second delay for the ballasts to build up some voltage.

i don't think that's exactly right. i think what you hear is the reflector sliding back and forth. i believe that's how they make high and low beams in these systems, by adjusting the reflector, and that actually the lamp is a constant brightness. could be mistaken...

EDIT: unless you mean from an off position, firing up the lamps, yes, then that would be an arc striking situation. sorry, think i misunderstood.

Are you giving it time after turning off the A/C to let residual cold air exit the system? It'll remain cold for a little bit even after turning off the A/C.

i think what you hear is the reflector sliding back and forth. i believe that's how they make high and low beams in these systems, by adjusting the reflector, and that actually the lamp is a constant brightness. could be mistaken...

I can definitely hear the shutter sound going from Low to Hi Beam. I could hear it in my previous Cadillac too, but it is more noticeable in the Model S. I don't hear anything when the lights come on, but they do seem to come on with a bright flash that settles down after a second or two. I did not notice that on my previous car (both with Xenon lamps). Interestingly, my Cadillac had no daytime "flash-to-pass" feature with the Xenons, and the dealer said it was because they take a second to fire up, and it's not good to "flash" with those kind of lamps. My Model S seems to allow it...