Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.3 - basic charging scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any screen shots of the release notes?

Voilà - Sorry they are sideways!

Tesla43A.JPG
Tesla43B.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Question, Say I set for TOU at 9:00 pm for me. If I arrive at 10:00 pm and plug in, will it start to charge, or will it wait for the next 9:00 pm event to occur?

release notes indicate that if the plugin time is within 6 hours of the scheduled start time (after) it will start charging. if outside that window, it will wait until the next day at the scheduled time.

Question, Say I set for TOU at 9:00 pm for me. If I arrive at 10:00 pm and plug in, will it start to charge, or will it wait for the next 9:00 pm event to occur?

From the release notes image in the above post, if you plug in within 6 hours of the start time, it will start charging. If you plug in more than six hours after the start time, it will wait for the next start time. RTFM :wink:

I guess this is an OK initial attempt for a charging timer. In my case, I would like to set multiple date and time ranges to make use of seasonal TOU rates. For now, I'll have to reprogram the timer every season and set the start charge time for one of the daily off-peak times.

I guess this is an OK initial attempt for a charging timer. In my case, I would like to set multiple date and time ranges to make use of seasonal TOU rates. For now, I'll have to reprogram the timer every season and set the start charge time for one of the daily off-peak times.

I think it's reasonable to expect you to reprogram it on a seasonal basis. I don't expect Tesla to allow for an advance, 3 year charging schedule calendar. I'd rather the engineering effort go somewhere else, like sleep mode and range optimization.

I think it's reasonable to expect you to reprogram it on a seasonal basis. I don't expect Tesla to allow for an advance, 3 year charging schedule calendar. I'd rather the engineering effort go somewhere else, like sleep mode and range optimization.
Sorry, but I don't think it's reasonable to have to reprogram it.:redface:

I'm not asking for a 3-year charging schedule. I've been on the same TOU plan for 20 years. There are 2 seasons: there is one summer off-peak period and two winter off-peak periods. Weekends are also off-peak. An interface that lets you specify date ranges and charging time ranges would be nice. I know it would get more complicated with multiple locations, but hey, it's only software.

Just when we finally have "timers" working in OpenEVSE :)

The delay timer is also usefull even if you don't have time-of-use rates, for long term battery health it's better to have the charging end shortly before you'll be using the car, for 2 reasons: less vampire range loss (until they fix that issue), and spending less time at %90 SOC (standard charge) will hopefully be less stressful on the pack long term (we don't have concrete data on this, but the less time spent at high SOC, the better IMHO)

It should start charging right away (up to 6 hours from your 9PM example I believe). If it doesn't you can simply click charge now on the car or app.