Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.3 - basic charging scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but I don't think it's reasonable to have to reprogram it.:redface:

I'm not asking for a 3-year charging schedule. I've been on the same TOU plan for 20 years. There are 2 seasons: there is one summer off-peak period and two winter off-peak periods. Weekends are also off-peak. An interface that lets you specify date ranges and charging time ranges would be nice. I know it would get more complicated with multiple locations, but hey, it's only software.

Since it usually takes less than all night to charge the car, why not just set it once to start at a time that fall within the low rate for all seasons. For example in California PG&E off peak hours start at 9:00pm in the summer and 8:00pm in the winter so setting a charge start time of 9:30pm puts you well into the cheap rate window any time of the year - set it and forget it. :)

I guess this is an OK initial attempt for a charging timer. In my case, I would like to set multiple date and time ranges to make use of seasonal TOU rates. For now, I'll have to reprogram the timer every season and set the start charge time for one of the daily off-peak times.

A very reasonable request. The Chevy Volt has summer and winter TOU schedules with peak, mid-peak, and off-peak times.

It also has "charge based on departure time," and you can program a different departure time for each day of the week. Charge based on departure time is a "must have" feature for all EVs in my book.

GSP

Since it usually takes less than all night to charge the car, why not just set it once to start at a time that fall within the low rate for all seasons. For example in California PG&E off peak hours start at 9:00pm in the summer and 8:00pm in the winter so setting a charge start time of 9:30pm puts you well into the cheap rate window any time of the year - set it and forget it. :)
Thanks. That's a good idea. My off-peak schedule is:

Winter: 11:00am-6:00pm; 9:00pm-7:00am
Summer: 8:00pm-1:00pm
Weekends: 24hrs

I'm just preconditioned from low range EVs and have always wanted the car to be charged as soon as possible, in case I needed the car at some other part of the day/night. With 85kWhs and a HPWC, I guess I don't need to worry. I'll have to just remember to manually start charging on weekends and holidays.

I wish weekend and weekday was different. I have 12 to 7 on weekdays, but the weekend has more cheap time I think, but can't remember the hours with e9

Yep, this. Weekends the cheap rates start at 9 p.m., weekdays at midnight. Seasons be damned, but weekdays vs. weekends could have been useful... as well as end time instead of some arbitrary six-hour window.

But like someone else pointed out, six hours is enough for most overnight charging and there is always overriding it with the phone app, so... Did anyone say sleep mode?

SDG&E apparently has their own idea of when daylight saving time begins and ends, so the times are an hour off between March 10th and April 6th and again between October 27th and November 2nd. Crazy, right?

2013 Daylight Saving Time Calendar - EV-TOU2 | San Diego Gas Electric

Very interesting, indeed.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the version numbers? 4.3 is reported as 1.25.x, while 4.2 is 1.19.x. Seems like a big jump in version number to me just for scheduled charging. When I upgraded from 3.5 to 4.2, I went from 1.15 to 1.19. Obviously, there were a heck of a lot of changes between those versions.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the version numbers? 4.3 ...
Some guy or gal with a major or minor in marketing has a powerpoint deck explaining how it totally makes sense to 4 people on the planet and is a useful tool for selling more vehicles.

As an engineer, I prefer to just see the sync time of the build instead. It's harder to play games with it.

Happy to see this, and grateful...and wow, a car getting a software update--cool!...but...am I a jerk to say I was expecting way more?

This can't possibly be the major update we were hearing about. OK, don't mean to be negative. Yay, charge scheduling!

Oh my gosh, this! It seems as though everyone has been touting 4.3 as the be-all-end-all upgrade. If it took them 4 months to add something simple as a charging timer, how long will it take them to add a shuffle button to the audio page or enable WiFi? But, yay charging schedule!

Oh my gosh, this! It seems as though everyone has been touting 4.3 as the be-all-end-all upgrade. If it took them 4 months to add something simple as a charging timer, how long will it take them to add a shuffle button to the audio page or enable WiFi? But, yay charging schedule!

I don't think this was the rumored "big update". More likely they decided to release an interim update with a few new features and a bunch of bug fixes.

Any other car would require a trip to the dealership for an update so the fact you can update the car in your garage is a bug plus. I think we all knew there are a number of missing features and things that need improvement. Overall though the speed of the interface and the layout is great I think.