Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5 hints at Tesla self-confidence on batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The firmware 4.5 release notes where just leaked on this forum.

What struck me was that they removed the "standard" and "range" mode, and just replaced it with a "% charge" slider. It is seems reasonable to assume that this will lead to much more charging to 100%, since there is no longer a sub-100% default.

The intention behind standard/range was to limit the frequency of owners charging to 100%. I have several times heard Elon Musk urge people to charge to 100% as often as they feel they need it, and not worry about the battery.

The question of battery degradation has been one of the main concerns regarding the long-term viability of the car.

The change Tesla have made in 4.5 indicates that they view "battery anxiety" as a bigger issue than the potential degradation of the battery by people charging to 100% all the time. Is not this a very strong indication that they are not very worried about battery degradation at all?

Removing the range charge warning fits with the "manual should not be required" thinking. Taking that a step further "just charge to whatever max you like" really drives that home and delivers a feature that some "battery degradation micromanagement OCD" folks really want.

Taking the new no-manual philosophy and this new firmware as a pair, some folks at Tesla must have been chuckling to themselves when the "should I just range charge every day now?" thread popped up.

This is (would be?) an important item for anyone who cares about how they use electricity, the cost of the electricity they use or who simply lives at the top of a hill and ends up with a wasted regen opportunity.

Another example of Tesla's unceasing improvement.