TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Firmware 4.5

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by pilotSteve, Apr 28, 2013.

1. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

#1 pilotSteve, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013
    I've been running 4.3 since March. Reading about 4.4 from other owners I alternate between (a) wanting it and (b) happy to not have it! 4.3 has been quite reliable for me and it added the timed charging feature.

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to skip 4.4 entirely and go right to 4.5 which (is rumored) to have better/fixed audio and possibly reduced vampire load. Can one skip an "intermediate" updates or would we always get 4.4 followed by 4.5?

I'm reminding myself that waiting can be good :cool:

Moderator Note: Please see Post #54 for 4.5 Release Notes

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I think you're more likely to have issues with mis-matched module versions if you try to skip an update; the only reason I'm guessing that is my problem which arose from incomplete downloads, so I could be wrong.

3. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

thanks PilotSteve

curious about the better/fixed audio. What are the rumors on that about? Is there a thread on it that u can post?

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

There's no threads on v4.5 yet. There seems to be a few rumors out there that it's coming soon though.

(Mods will put up a sticky as usual as soon as somebody confirms they have v4.5)

5. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

I hadn't had any problems with 4.4 and it's been the best firmware so far on my car. It fixed a couple of really annoying bugs I was dealing with in 4.3.

I'm glad I haven't had the issues that others have experienced but I guess I'm just trying to say that it's probably ok to simply install it when it becomes available for your car.

6. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

Nigel, have you checked the settings under Apps for the fonts? Listed are 1x, 1.5x, and 2x.

7. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Interesting to hear about 4.5. I would've assumed the next version would be 5.0 since that was supposed to be due out by the end of April. Any word on the "big one"?

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

When I picked my car up in early March, it had 4.2 installed, but my DS alluded to a "big" update he referred to a v5 coming in late spring or early summer. So far, I've received 4.3 and shortly after 4.4. No problems with either update.

9. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Next update could be 4.5 or 5.0 or any number that Tesla chooses of course. I was a bit surprised that I've been on 4.3 for about five weeks and all previous updates came within ±10 days of others on the forum mentioning they had received them. That led me to wondering if Tesla has stopped rolling out 4.4 to those that haven't already received it..... and the next version will be the rumored "big update".

(sorry I have no real information, just asking others for thoughts/speculation while waiting....)

10. derekt75

derekt75 Member

Some of us hear a crackling sound in current (and previous) firmware when listening to internet radio. This is supposed to be fixed in a future firmware update.
    Audio crackling with slacker - sounds different from FM to Slacker - Page 2

11. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

FWIW, I still have 4.3 as well and am still waiting for the update. Not sure I have any issues major enough to push for 4.4, as my biggest pet peeves are still issues in 4.4 as well.

I'm getting a little weary of these incremental updates that add little to no functionality and that don't seem to address a lot of reported issues. It seems like the software development pace is going really slow. I'm hoping that they've been doing TONS of work on 5.0 and that they're saving it all for the big update. If not, I'll start wondering how many years we'll have to wait before we get features promised at delivery :).

OK, off my soap box. I love this car!

12. K Hall

K Hall Member

4.5 will be rewarding.

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

It is v4.5

It is a big one.

Makes no sense for Tesla to hold back and the constant updates are part of the fun of owning this car. The updates have been addressing issues and v4.5 will address some.

Yup! :)

14. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

4.5 is suppose to be out soon. Rumors says that Supercharger location will be on the map after the update.

15. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

That will be cool but useless for me in Wisconsin. I would like hibernate mode.

16. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Alright, what do you guys know?!? I wanna know too!

- - - Updated - - -

Unless the changes are so substantial that it makes tying it with existing code difficult. In that case, they'd probably initiate a branch in their source code management software and work on a separate fork of the software independently.

17. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Hmm. Some kind of Tesla social networked game in which awards are granted for achieving low wh/mi? Using data from other tesla owners tied with GPS to indicate average wh/mi over a specific route would be interesting.

18. kinddog

kinddog Banned

that would be cool to see other floating T icons on the map to locate other Model S drivers in real time. sorta like a Grindr for EV owners.

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Is this the same dog that would rather walk than have his car tracked? :wink:

20. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

LOL.