Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 1.33.59 installed at the service center. Now intermittently, the handles will not auto present. I have to hit the fob button to open the doors.

As I mentioned before, the dash being on while charging is inconsistent. On on my blink charger, off on the Clipper Creek CS-40

Once in a while I do hear the fan, but it's mostly quiet.

And finally, the vampire load has decreased quite a bit. I just came back from a 5 day trip with the car plugged in but charge terminaled by the app. In 5 days the miles dropped from 165 to 120. That averages out to be a .37 miles per hour. And interestingly the discharge rate is higher at 165 miles than at 120. It's about .5 miles per hour at a higher charge and about .25 (roughly) at 120.

And this morning I took the car through the touch less wash, now I get a ground fault when I try to charge. Water was dripping from the car onto the ground under the charge port.

Ranger came by today for some minor service. Said he wanted to update the firmware... when I opened the door there was .61 sitting there waiting on the screen! Saved him some minor bother...

Oh, and I never had the fan noise. The bug must only affect certain versions of the MCU hardware.

I got 1.33.59 installed at the service center. Now intermittently, the handles will not auto present. I have to hit the fob button to open the doors.

My FOB battery was replaced 2 months after delivery. Auto presents again. One of the best car tricks

I found out some interesting information. Here is the direct quote from Tesla.

· Auto-present handles will not work if the car has not received an unlock event or a door is not opened within 24 hours.

· Walk-away locking will not work if the key fob is detected near the car for more than 5 minutes after a door event.

That explains what I've been experiencing. My car just sat for five days

Another interesting thing happened tonight. I was sitting in my car adjusting the charge rate when the air suspension started up and raised the car a little bit. I did a main screen reboot after that.

I also found out that the dash will light up while charging when the car is unlocked. So if you have auto lock turned off the dash will be on all the time during charging.

Yesterday, is the first time I heard what I think is the fan noise people have been concerned with. I'm on .59 firmware. It didn't last long but it was definitely a noticeable sound.

Brian, I had the fan issue with .44. It was continuous, and obvious, even if I powered down the car, even if the car sat for hours. When I got the update to .59, it stopped, and now I hardly ever hear it during normal operation. And if I power down the car, the car is completely silent. No other outward differences for me.

Edit: @Michael... Your first bullet makes sense, from a vampire loss perspective. To preserve power over the long haul, there is no need to stay in a high state of alert.

The second bullet makes sense if you're washing the car, or other nearby continuous activity. I've noticed this one. Handy.

Last edited:
Yesterday, is the first time I heard what I think is the fan noise people have been concerned with. I'm on .59 firmware. It didn't last long but it was definitely a noticeable sound.

The fan is variable speed and dependent on temperature is supposed to go on and off. The reported previous problem was that when the fan hit hi/full speed it never slowed down again and even when the car was cool it would keep running at full speed. The FW update seems to have fixed that bug so that if/when the fan hits full speed it now does slow back down again.

The fan is variable speed and dependent on temperature is supposed to go on and off. The reported previous problem was that when the fan hit hi/full speed it never slowed down again and even when the car was cool it would keep running at full speed. The FW update seems to have fixed that bug so that if/when the fan hits full speed it now does slow back down again.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I wasn't suggesting .59 has the bug. I was merely making note that this is this first time I've heard (what I think is) the fan noise that people were talking about. I can see how it would be terribly annoying if stuck on.

updated this morning to .61

I just updated this morning to .61. It took about 20 minutes, lights flashed, date and time went weird (see photo). Car runs fine.

date.JPG
countdown.JPG

Last edited:
.61 now shows my grey wheels on the 17" display (but still shows chrome on the smaller display).

When I use voice control button the steering wheel, I get a little burst of static out the speakers after I finish talking and stop pressing the button. Is that happening to anyone else?

ms-4.5-61.jpg

Last edited:
.61 now shows my grey wheels on the 17" display (but still shows chrome on the smaller display).

When I use voice control button the steering wheel, I get a little burst of static out the speakers after I finish taking and stop pressing the button. Is that happening to anyone else?

Yup. I infrequently use it so I'm not sure when it started happening (although I've seen reports of it that go WAY back). This is on .61

I found out some interesting information. Here is the direct quote from Tesla.

· Auto-present handles will not work if the car has not received an unlock event or a door is not opened within 24 hours.

· Walk-away locking will not work if the key fob is detected near the car for more than 5 minutes after a door event.

That explains what I've been experiencing. My car just sat for five days

Another interesting thing happened tonight. I was sitting in my car adjusting the charge rate when the air suspension started up and raised the car a little bit. I did a main screen reboot after that.

I also found out that the dash will light up while charging when the car is unlocked. So if you have auto lock turned off the dash will be on all the time during charging.

This also explains the behaviour I have been seeing. We sometimes go more than a day between uses of the car (mostly retired), so the auto-present does not happen on the second day.

Also, it explains why some people have found their car left unlocked if they leave one of two fobs in the car. My wife often wants to leave her fob in the car, in her purse (out of sight), during a short rest stop. I have now found that I have to manually lock the car with my fob, to get the car to lock with a fob inside it. It WILL lock though, so N.B.!

There seems to be a 1:1 correspondence between the first two numbers in the versions, e.g., 4.3=1.25; 4.4 = 1.31; 4.5=1.33; 5.5=1.35 Only the third number in the 1.xx.yy sequence changes for maintenance releases. To simplify references to software versions, how about we start mashing the two together - so instead of 4.5 (1.33.59) it becomes 4.5.59?

Then we can say "today I updated from 4.5.59 to .61" instead of whatever more complicated phraseology people are choosing to use.

If at some later date the xx part changes during a single "version", then we can go back to the more complicated way. What do you think?