Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.61 has been really stable for me.

The iphone bluetooth issue I had on previous versions hasn't surfaced (yet). However, this morning I hopped in the car and could not connect to my phone. Similar to before it was listed, I'd connect and it would then disappear from music after a few seconds. A few seconds after that I got the "waiting for bluetooth" message as the bluetooth hardware seemed to reset and then all was fine. Perhaps they have a watchdog on the bluetooth hardware now. I'm fine if it continues to do that... much easier then having to delete all the associations and reboot.

No, it's mostly working just fine. I have two minor issues that have appeared since its installation:

• Homelink menu popping down causes rear view camera image to disappear if you have it displayed in the top panel. Slightly annoying, 100% repeatable, but fairly easily worked around (i.e. force the menu back up again)

I have the same issue. But I can't reliably make the camera work again once it happens. I have tried hiding the menu and that doesn't do the trick for me. Sometimes it woks to hide the menu, go back to park, then back to reverse. But at least once that didn't work, either.

The problem is getting the handle to extend when you picking some one up. I hate having to open the driver side door to do it.

I feel like the there is some voodoo going on in the car - stuff doesn't work and then it works the next day (or week). The engineer in me says this can't be good.

Same issue here as well with the camera greying out during Homelink.

I was told by my SC that it is a known issue with v .61, and that the easy solution is to switch the camera to the bottom half of the screen. Not a big deal, just have to remember to do it when nearing home.

Interestingly yesterday I had the camera on top, and when I got home the Homelink menu opened automatically, and the camera image moved down a bit and stayed on (like it did in 4.4). I have not yet reproduced this behavior.

Since there haven't been any reports on updates later than .61, it appears that may be the final and "stable" 4.5 release.

Funny you say that. I made the same assessment last night and decided to take the plunge and update to 4.5 finally. It had been queued up for me for a couple of weeks and kept postponing it cuz the car has been rock solid for me ever since I got it and I came with the last 4.4 release.

So far, so good. Touch wood. Observations:
- I was plugged in when I did the update. When I went to check on it this AM, it was still plugged in. I got in, 'started the car'by pressing on brake. Got the warning sayin it is still plugged in. Then I rebooted the dash. When it came back, it momentarily threw the 'car needs service' warning. But went away on its own and then continued to show the 'plugged in' warning. The console showed the 1 warning message indicator, and it was the same plugged in warning. This is all normal I'm assuming. Just noting I did get the fleeting service warning. I drove it in to work with no issues today. I also rebooted the console as I think it's a good practice after an update.
- I did notice the screen fan noise after the reboot completed (since it was silent during the reboot). But then stopped after about a minute. (It was about 93 degrees in the garage at the time) so, good news is it isn't persistent. I'm wondering if I ever heard the fan before. I don't think so. I think in 4.4 the algorithm for it was off and it never turned on even though it clearly would get above 120 degrees in the car. Never had any issues, but perhaps the fan will help the screen have a longer life. I'm assuming. As long as it is isn't on all the time that's what matters to me.
- I did notice a very slight more of a rumble in the AC. Bt I think it's been there and I only noticed it because I was trying to notice everything.
- Even after the Reboots, I noticed the Dome light setting somehow got changed. I always had it set to auto. It was reset to off. I changed it back and seems to be working as it should now. Not sure why it got reset.
- no issues noted with handles thus far. Seem to be working as they should
- since I left it plugged in and got to a full 4.4 standard charge, it went to 191 rated miles on my 60. I noticed the charge bar was slightly beyond the new 4.5 full standard setting recommendation. This to me is consistent with the notion that 4.4 went to 93% whereas the new 4.5 standard high end is only 90%. Tis would explain possibly why some people see their 'full standard' charge range drop after 4.5 install.
- That it was 191 was a slight surprise to me also. I don't think that had anything to do with 4.5. I don't ever go to a full standard charge much. Bt the last 2 days I had. 190 had been the previous max I'd seen on such a charge. But 2 days ago, I only got 188 with a standard charge on 4.4 using 208v/30a. Last night I did 208v/16a. So maybe I got the benefits of a 'slow' charge, ths I was higher. Happy to see the number. G forward, I will set my daily charge to 75% since my typical daily commuters between 60 and 75 miles.

I'll note any other observations as I use it the next few days. So far, so good. Again knocking on wood.

Only issue I'm seeing on .61 is the door handles not extending on touch some times.
Here are some of the scenarios it happened:
- I'll leave my car unlocked as it's charging overnight and in the morning a press on the passenger front side door handle doesn't extend the handles. Used the FOB button
- Out at a store for 30min or more with the car locked and same as above.

So, one thing I've definitely noticed since the upgrade. After plugging in after a drive, and locking the car, I can still hear the fans cooling while it is charging. I never heard this before. I take this as a good thing. I was always surprised that it didn't keep fans running while charging in a 100+ degree environment. It makes sense that it does. And now it does.

Only issue I'm seeing on .61 is the door handles not extending on touch some times.
Here are some of the scenarios it happened:
- I'll leave my car unlocked as it's charging overnight and in the morning a press on the passenger front side door handle doesn't extend the handles. Used the FOB button
- Out at a store for 30min or more with the car locked and same as above.

Same here but the drivers side front always seems to extends on touch....

a couple of issues I noticed after the .61 update.
  • putting car into park to extend handles stopped working. worked before the update (and yes, I rebooted the console).
  • horn stopped working from the wheel pad. still works via the app.

I have .61 and both of these work fine. Contact Tesla, that's not a widespread bug.

I just received this update yesterday.

So far I have not experienced a problem in either of these areas.

Larry

Same issue here as well with the camera greying out during Homelink.

I was told by my SC that it is a known issue with v .61, and that the easy solution is to switch the camera to the bottom half of the screen. Not a big deal, just have to remember to do it when nearing home.

Interestingly yesterday I had the camera on top, and when I got home the Homelink menu opened automatically, and the camera image moved down a bit and stayed on (like it did in 4.4). I have not yet reproduced this behavior.

I was able to reproduce this. It seems the hardware the cannot do an overlay on the video viewport. I wonder if this is also why there are also no guidelines on the camera view.

If the camera is on the upper half of the screen, any of the dropdown menus will blank it out. Homelink and driver profiles both do this.

If I have the car controls popup window up and throw the car in reverse, it automatically moves the camera window down a little to avoid the dropdown menus. This only seems to work when that controls popup in in place. If it's just the normal two pane screen it won't move the camera view.

I was able to reproduce this. It seems the hardware the cannot do an overlay on the video viewport. I wonder if this is also why there are also no guidelines on the camera view.

If the camera is on the upper half of the screen, any of the dropdown menus will blank it out. Homelink and driver profiles both do this.

If I have the car controls popup window up and throw the car in reverse, it automatically moves the camera window down a little to avoid the dropdown menus. This only seems to work when that controls popup in in place. If it's just the normal two pane screen it won't move the camera view.

I'm hoping it's just an implementation limitation in the software and not a hardware limitation...hopefully overlays on video will come in a future update.

I'm hoping it's just an implementation limitation in the software and not a hardware limitation...hopefully overlays on video will come in a future update.

It has to be software because it never happened in 4.4. I wrote ownership about this and they phoned me about it (the ownership person had never heard of this before). He came back with "known issue, will be fixed in a later release".