Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't worried about a short stop to shop--more thinking about the daily grind. But I'm not "freaking out" (did you have to be so dismissive to everyone who would like it optional? sigh) . . . just bummed because it'll be a minor annoyance every day until it's optional.

On the other paw, as FlasherZ points out, it's from opening the door. Maybe I'm overestimating how quickly I get into the car. I'm no Roscoe, nor Duke brother! ;-) I may be slower than I think, and not even notice it. I'll try to reserve judgement. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Huge?!

...for you. I'm happy to save a little more money, but I doubt this will have a dramatic effect on my power bill. The bulk of that comes from cooling our house in the summer, not from charging the car a little longer. YYMV.

I'd like Sleep Mode to have an ON/OFF button. I only drive 40 miles a day and the Vampire loss doesn't affect me. Unfortunately I often don't remember to pre-cool my car until I walk outside (hey it's hot out here!), and at that point I'm generally 30 seconds from my car. If I always have to wait 45 seconds for the app to connect it will be very annoying and the great pre-condition feature will be lost for me. Giving the user the control of Sleep Mode is the right thing to do; those who want to save every kW can, and those who want to access their car quickly are also considered.

Don't get me wrong; I'm happy the've added this--I know this bugged a lot of people (some purely for OCD reasons, IMHO; a few for actual "I need every mile in the tank" reasons).

Others because we expect the fleet of Teslas to grow quickly, and I'd rather not see 300W per car (or whatever) wasted when there are 100,000 cars or more out there... that'd be almost $5,000 in electricity each and every day wasted by the fleet, even with "only" 100,000 cars on the road. And that's unacceptable.

Note that the 10-11 seconds are counted from when the door is opened, apparently. I timed myself today, and it takes me 10 seconds to get in the car, close the door, and put on my seatbelt. It took me another few seconds to get an ICE car started and past the initial sequence... I don't think we are likely to face any real-life delay.

For those of you using 4.5, how long does it take for you to connect to your vehicles? It takes me between 1-2 minutes on 5.0. However, I just left my car about 15 minutes ago and it only took me about 5 seconds to connect again just now, so I guess sleep mode is not active yet.

For those of you using 4.5, how long does it take for you to connect to your vehicles? It takes me between 1-2 minutes on 5.0. However, I just left my car about 15 minutes ago and it only took me about 5 seconds to connect again just now, so I guess sleep mode is not active yet.

The app on my android phone takes over 2 minutes to connect to my car. It times out after 2 minutes, I have to hit Retry, and then it finally connects after another 10 seconds or so. ( I am still on 4.5 too.) This happens every time I use the app. Am I the only one that has to wait so stinking long for the app to connect??? For now this is an annoyance, but come winter I will be using the app daily to warm up the car so I am hoping I only have to wait 45 seconds.

And please do a 24 hr test if possible (sorry, I know that's asking a lot if you use the car regularly).

Ask and ye shall receive. 9:00 pm last night to 10:15 pm tonight, lost only 4 miles of range (and that was with waking it up this morning to post my status). With 4.5, that would have been 8-9 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you (if you have not already) repeat this "test" on more than one occasion? Are your results reproducible?
Thanks

I can confirm that 5.0 has, for me, reduced my vampire loss by about 50% on repeated measurements. Of course, winter will be the real test. :)

Oh hey, has anybody done a Supercharge with 5.0?

Any change to rate (120KW?) or current ramp-down profile??

I have done a Supercharge with 5.0. Unfortunately, I had not done a Supercharge prior to 5.0. But based on what I've heard of the experience, the rampdown was just as annoying as previously. I don't think the Supercharger was 120kW (Fort Myers). The rate I got is posted at Supercharger in Ft. Myers confirmed - Page 15

The app on my android phone takes over 2 minutes to connect to my car. It times out after 2 minutes, I have to hit Retry, and then it finally connects after another 10 seconds or so. ( I am still on 4.5 too.) This happens every time I use the app. Am I the only one that has to wait so stinking long for the app to connect??? For now this is an annoyance, but come winter I will be using the app daily to warm up the car so I am hoping I only have to wait 45 seconds.

This is a known bug in the Android app. Force-kill the app and start it fresh to avoid this problem.

I just tried to run a really fast errand. I ran down to the garage, door handles presented immediately. I jumped in and pressed drive. Nothing happened. Screen was off, car asleep. I had to wait another 15 secs and it woke up.

While at home, I don't need this sleep mode. I just need it when out. Also, this 1-2 min to connect with my iPhone is annoying.

As mentioned earlier up-thread, the car takes 11 seconds between the time I open the door (when the contactors click on and things begin starting up) and the time I can place the car in reverse. I suppose if you're Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane, this might worry you 'bout chasing them fast-acting Duke boys, but for me it's been a complete non-issue.

Yea except what you lose in startup time you'd more then make up for in acceleration :biggrin:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so how about 30 seconds of 30 pictures per second (900 pictures for the equivalent of 900K words) demonstrating just how fast waking up from sleep mode is with v5.0?

(Note: I'll leave this video here for a while, but if it gets deleted, it's because we've moved on to a new version or something has materially changed or I'm finding my YouTube video manager to be a bit clogged.)

It's about 13 seconds in this video from door opening to ready-to-go... the center screen is still available, so I can use it to open the garage door while I'm waiting for the instrument cluster, etc. Yes, I recognize I spent a few seconds waiting once I was in the seat, but I rushed to get in so that I could show you what happened. Normally, the Tesla logo is in full swing by the time I get seated, and the car is ready by the time I get my seat belt fastened.

Last edited by a moderator:

The app connection time depends on what type of phone you have, and whether you are on 3G, 4G, or WiFi. I have a brand new Android phone on 4G, and I connect in 4 to 5 seconds. With my old phone it used to take twice as long.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a known bug in the Android app. Force-kill the app and start it fresh to avoid this problem.

This was an issue on my 2 year old Android phone. Not with my brand new Galaxy S4. Now it connects fast and every time.

Ask and ye shall receive. 9:00 pm last night to 10:15 pm tonight, lost only 4 miles of range (and that was with waking it up this morning to post my status). With 4.5, that would have been 8-9 miles.

I can confirm that 5.0 has, for me, reduced my vampire loss by about 50% on repeated measurements. Of course, winter will be the real test. :)

Thank you. Thats great news, I'd still rather it was less but leaving Model S at the airport when I'm on a trip is finally possible (I don't worry about winter weather.....).