Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which further confirms my suspicions that it is soley a hardware problem so there is no foreseeable risk to Tesla by pushing out 5.0 now.

Regarding trying to give people the option of faster wake up times, why not just make sleep mode an option? Same thing they did in 4.0 and 4.1 so it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. I'll just take sleep mode now as it is and if they're able to improve wake up times in a future release that's great, but IMO this shouldn't be a show stopper.

I agree. Techs are working on trying to speed up the app connection time in sleep mode and the option of sleep/low vampire drain vs always awake/larger vampire loss. Rest of 5.0 seems to work fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible that 5.0 to run properly requires some new hardware upgrade that older VINs might not have?

I do not believe this to be the case as some of the Beta testers are sig and early VIN number people.

Which further confirms my suspicions that it is soley a hardware problem so there is no foreseeable risk to Tesla by pushing out 5.0 now.

I picked up my S60 on 9/12 and it had 5.0 build 1.35.102.
ModelS-Firmware-v5.jpg

My maps/GPS are completely wonky - it is rarely accurate for more than 3-5 minutes at a time. After that it will start to randomly locate my car between 50' - 1 mile away from its actual location, and almost always heading in the wrong direction. Even more impressive is the Model S "blender":

Last edited by a moderator:
My maps/GPS are completely wonky - it is rarely accurate for more than 3-5 minutes at a time. After that it will start to randomly locate my car between 50' - 1 mile away from its actual location, and almost always heading in the wrong direction. Even more impressive is the Model S "blender"

Have you contacted your local SC regarding the issue? They should be able to recalibrate the GPS for you. Interestingly, this problem isn't related to 5.0.

Has any 5.0 owner seen any changes in the charging port unlocking buttons?

They might only show during J1772 charging. Anyone in that category seen new button layout?

I was told that a new software revision would include a new button for explicitly unlocking the charge port after ending charging, even without external 'disconnect' signalling. Anyone seen that, presumably on the "Charging" screen ??

david

Last edited:
Has any 5.0 owner seen any changes in the charging port unlocking buttons?

They might only show during J1772 charging. Anyone in that category seen new button layout?

I was told that a new software revision would include a new button for explicitly unlocking the charge port after ending charging, even without external 'disconnect' signalling. Anyone seen that, presumably on the "Charging" screen ??

AFAIK, J1772 charging and HPWC charging are indistinguishable from each other, but perhaps there is something there that can tell the difference.

In 5.0, there are no buttons on the "charging complete" screen when the car has finished charging, the contactor is open, and the cable is still connected giving a pilot signal of 80A.

My maps/GPS are completely wonky - it is rarely accurate for more than 3-5 minutes at a time. After that it will start to randomly locate my car between 50' - 1 mile away from its actual location, and almost always heading in the wrong direction. Even more impressive is the Model S "blender":

In the upper right hand corner of the Nav screen there is an X. This X should be blue, not grey. If it's grey it's in free-form mode, if it's blue it tracks the car. Press the X to toggle between the two modes.

Tesla has assured me that with 5.0, when charging is complete (with J1772 or otherwise), the Charging Screen should dispaly a 'stop charging' button. If pressed, a second 'unlock port' button should appear, and the 'stop charging' button will become 'restart charging'. In no case is the charging handle button pushed in this description.

I want to validate that situation and those buttons appearance. I may have to borrow a 5.0 car to be sure.,..

AFAIK, J1772 charging and HPWC charging are indistinguishable from each other, but perhaps there is something there that can tell the difference.

In 5.0, there are no buttons on the "charging complete" screen when the car has finished charging, the contactor is open, and the cable is still connected giving a pilot signal of 80A.

Tesla has assured me that with 5.0, when charging is complete (with J1772 or otherwise), the Charging Screen should dispaly a 'stop charging' button. If pressed, a second 'unlock port' button should appear, and the 'stop charging' button will become 'restart charging'. In no case is the charging handle button pushed in this description.

I want to validate that situation and those buttons appearance. I may have to borrow a 5.0 car to be sure.,..

My cousin is 5.0. Need me to check?

I just tested this by setting my charge limit to lower than my range. I got the message "Charging Complete" but no other button. See attached image.
IMG_1664.jpg

If the "charging complete" screen is displayed, there is no button (like 4SUPER9 posted).

Here is the sequence...

First, "Starting to Charge" is displayed, and a button says "Cancel Charging".
If you hit that button, you go to a screen that says "Charging Stopped" with a button that says "Start Charging".
If you allow it to progress, the screen displays "Charging" with a button that says "Stop Charging".
If you hit that button, you're given the "Charging Stopped" screen, once again with a button that says "Start Charging".

There is no "unlock charge port" button that appears. This is with the HPWC connected. I don't have a J1772 nearby to try for you.

Thanks to everyone helping me on this one. It's really appreciated.

The reason I am reopening this question is that the changes in 5.0 have been promised to support more explicit unlocking - this will benefit users of CapturePro and allow me to restart sales, but it will also help anyone who might be faced with a broken J1772 charging 'disconnect' button, or a broken UMC. This change would at least allow disconnection in those case

One more thing - it is now supposedly possible to unlock the port with the 'Stop Charging' button, then going to the Controls screen and hit 'Charge Port', in that order. Without any exterior buttons this should stop charging then unlock the port. As you can imagine, I now don't make any assumptions and I'm trying to get access to a 5.0 to test these configurations before I restart sales.

David

Last edited:
One more thing - it is now supposedly possible to unlock the port with the 'Stop Charging' button, then going to the Controls screen and hit 'Charge Port', in that order. Without any exterior buttons this should stop charging then unlock the port. As you can imagine, I now don't make any assumptions and I'm trying to get access to a 5.0 to test these configurations before I restart sales.

David

Yes. I just tried this. The charge port button unlocked the port. I removed my UMC without pushing the button.