Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I look at the LEDs when I plug in to make sure it mates properly, due to previous problems. My UMC and charge port were replaced a couple of months ago so I doubt the contacts are dirty. This is why I thought maybe firmware issue. But if no one else has encountered any problems then maybe it's just a glitch.

Oh well... I'll keep an eye on it.

My car skipped it's normal 1am time and started charging at 3. No explanation. It's only done this once, a few months ago

Last edited:
Here's a weird glitch I've been getting ever since 5.11 (1.59.56) was installed:

IMG_3144.JPG

It keeps asking me to set up a WiFi network. You'll notice from the top of the screen, that it is already connected to WiFi!

I get the same message every day, and I'm still on 5.9 (and also connected on WiFi when I see it). I was hoping 5.11 would fix this...

Interestingly, I just started getting this message every morning. The one thing that changed is that I took the access point closest to the garage temporarily offline. My MS is now connecting to an AP further away, and the indicated signal strength went from 4-5 bars to one. So possible theories are: 1/ Even though the MS is indicating a weak signal, it isn't actually getting an IP address and therefore is not connected (layer 2 vs layer 3) and the lack of a connection forces the prompt/window. 2/ It could be programmed to prompt the user if the signal strength is weak and while scanning it sees stronger potential "better" candidate networks.

Edit: Just saw @sacrament055's note that he is prompted with a strong wifi connection, so that is a datapoint against my theory.

It could be a timing problem. The car wakes up, isn't yet connected to Wifi, prompts the user, and then subsequently the Wifi completes the connection. You would end up with the screen shot above - the user prompt with strong WiFi indicated.

Last edited:
Interestingly, I just started getting this message every morning. The one thing that changed is that I took the access point closest to the garage temporarily offline. My MS is now connecting to an AP further away, and the indicated signal strength went from 4-5 bars to one. So possible theories are: 1/ Even though the MS is indicating a weak signal, it isn't actually getting an IP address and therefore is not connected (layer 2 vs layer 3) and the lack of a connection forces the prompt/window. 2/ It could be programmed to prompt the user if the signal strength is weak and while scanning it sees stronger potential "better" candidate networks.

Edit: Just saw @sacrament055's note that he is prompted with a strong wifi connection, so that is a datapoint against my theory.

It could be a timing problem. The car wakes up, isn't yet connected to Wifi, prompts the user, and then subsequently the Wifi completes the connection. You would end up with the screen shot above - the user prompt with strong WiFi indicated.

^^ This^^^
I too have a strong (full bar) wifi connection in my garage and wake up every morning to the message. Does not bother me.

Actually I'm on 5.9 and get that as well and I have a strong Wifi connection (full bars) I think it's a defect

I'm on 5.9 and had it for a while. It turned out that it was seeing my neighbor's wifi as well as mine. It's super weak but present. So I told it to connect to that and never saw the message again. it never actually connects, though. And yes, the neighbor doesn't use security on his wifi, I've told him and he doesn't seem to care. Not much chance of getting hacked, though.

I have a theory about why I was seeing this error. I have 3 APs in the house, and I had set them all up with the same SSID, to allow devices to "roam" between APs as you walk around the house. With "inter-access point handover" enabled on the device (and the same SSID on all APs), it will switch to the AP with the strongest signal as you move, rather than waiting for the connection to drop completely before switching. The car was connecting to one AP as I drove in, but apparently not the one that's strongest in the garage, and it appears the car doesn't support inter-AP handover, so it would just hang on to the weak connection, and then it would fail sometimes in the garage when I got back in.

So I changed the APs to all have different SSIDs, and set the car to only connect to the one that's strong in the garage. So far so good, but it has only been a day.

This may not be the cause for everyone, but it supports the theory that the message comes up when the car is associated with the AP on WiFi but either not getting an IP address or experiencing high packet loss due to a weak signal.

Here's a weird glitch I've been getting ever since 5.11 (1.59.56) was installed:

It keeps asking me to set up a WiFi network. You'll notice from the top of the screen, that it is already connected to WiFi!

Try deleting and re-adding your WiFi connection. It's a very common issue and from what I understand, re-adding it will fix it.

I have this problem every day and it also seems to have started with 1.59.56 for me. Pretty sure it wasn't happening with previous 5.11 versions.

Same issue as everyone else on the WiFi notification every morning. I have more evidence to dis-spell some of the guesses so far.

- My WiFi signal strength is very good in the garage
- I had multiple AP with the same SSID before, and now, I have them uniquely named. No difference.
- I have deleted and re-connected my SSID. No difference.
- I know it is connected to my network because I see it on the Tomato FW router.
- The timing hypothesis probably isn't true -- I watch it connect to my network when I pull into the garage, I see it on my network all night (router and Visible Tesla), and I watch it disconnect from my network as I drive away in the morning.

And this was never an issue before 5.9.

I get the same message every day, and I'm still on 5.9 (and also connected on WiFi when I see it). I was hoping 5.11 would fix this...

Tesla service said to remove your WiFi connection from the list, and then reconnect it. That worked for me.

Edit:

Try deleting and re-adding your WiFi connection. It's a very common issue and from what I understand, re-adding it will fix it.

What he said.

I've only had my S for a few months so I'm unfamiliar with the update process. Why hasn't my S received 5.11? Can you request it?
michael

It's a watched pot .... that never boils.

You can go to an SC and have them update for you to the latest (probably 5.12). Otherwise, you will get it eventually unless your car has no real connection. (as in no wifi/cell coverage)

You can go to an SC and have them update for you to the latest (probably 5.12).

Mine was updated by the SC last week during a service visit. It fixed the bug where it would remember the charging amps by location, but still show max amps on the charging screen. It now shows the "remembered" charging amps on the screen as it did prior to the last update.

I've only had my S for a few months so I'm unfamiliar with the update process. Why hasn't my S received 5.11? Can you request it?
michael

Normally, they push out the updates slowly so that if anyone has problems with them, they can issue a fix before it goes out to everyone. Although you can sometimes get it installed at the Service Centre, it's generally a happier experience if you just wait until they push it wirelessly.