Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my S for a few months so I'm unfamiliar with the update process. Why hasn't my S received 5.11? Can you request it?

5.11 was a service release with no new features. If you have no issues it's not worth updating - Along with many other folks I'm still happily on 5.9.

5.12 was to fix bugs on 5.11 but based on some accounts seems buggier than the earlier version.

As Jerry says above, best to wait till it gets pushed to you. You'll get an on-screen notification and just follow the instructions; btw the car needs to be left for a while during the actual install. Tip: install it at home in the evening when you're unlikely to need the car. It's highly improbable you'll have issues but that's just the safest way to avoid hassle.

As I recall 5.9 changed range calcs (once again!) resulting in increased rated range at any tick for most owners.

A few months ago, I was showing 225 miles rated @ 90% and 251 @ 100%. I believe that was on 5.9.

This week, after a while on 5.11, I did my first 90% charge in a while: 237 rated! Haven't done 100% yet, but that extrapolates to 263, which would bring me back around 265, which is where this all started.

I'll probably never know if that was a) real degradation that's been buried in formula, b) reduction, then increase, due to software algorithm, c) out of balance battery, restored by improved BMS in software, or d) something else!

In the end it doesn't really matter anyway I guess; your hardware didn't change, but the UI did.
Agree BUT... Software is what tells me the hardware status - which is information I use to determine how far to go, how to drive, etc. etc. frankly I only experience hardware capacity if I make bad decisions and run out. So, you could make a case that perception is reality.

I've had a couple of incidents of Bluetooth going offline. Rebooting the center screen recovers it. Never used to see this... 5.11 glitch?

I believe the 5.11 notes say that it is supposed to improve Bluetooth connectivity, but I too have had two instances where I had to re-boot. In both cases, I got a center screen message saying something like "Bluetooth Malfunction, Contact Tesla for Service".