Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.5 in EU Spec Cars...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke with an inside source. Wiring harness is there and leads to the LR tire area. Issue is that there is no "brain/ECU" or sensors installed. That individual didn't now whether it would have retrofits for existing cars though.

The ability to create revenue after delivery is certainly one of the interesting differentiators for Tesla.
The parking sensors are obviously something that can't be done as "just" a software upgrade. But if the rumors are correct and the main wiring harness does have the wires needed, then changing out the bumpers seems feasible. Rest assured it will be VERY expensive. They charge EUR500 for the factory option in the EU - that appears to translate to a USD500 factory option here (if you compare other prices). My bet is a retrofit will be at least $3k.

WTF does Typical mean? If it's the new name for Ideal it's a huge step backwards. If Typical is more like Projected, then the world may make sense again.

I'm hoping it's based on driving history (the way most people think that a driving-history rating would work, I mean). But it's probably based on aggregate data from many cars...which also would be okay.

If they kept the functionality and wanted to rename Ideal, it should have been renamed to Imaginary or just i.

Yay, a math joke! :-D

- - - Updated - - -

Just because they have that in Europe doesn't mean it will change here. Grammatically speaking "typical" is much more correct than "ideal" in describing how much range you may have left. E.g. The number shown is "typical" of that you could expect if you drive in an ideal manner. Being shown an "ideal" number doesn't actually make much sense.

I disagree; "typical" is generally used to mean what most people, or the average person, would get, so by removing the word ideal, people won't think it means "typical of ideal driving"--by that logic, you could also call rated miles "typical," since they're "typical of people who drive like an EPA test." ;-) People will think "oh, most people/I will get this # of miles."

Changing that word, they'd better be using a different calculation--and I bet they are. Their "ideal" calculation is misleading; few people seem to get that in the real world--it's not a typical (!) result.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. to clarify, I'm disagreeing that "typical" is better, grammatically, in this context. Used in a sentence like you did--great. As a single word to describe something--grammar's irrelevant, but it would be a very misleading word to use if it's still the current "ideal" calculation. Sorry, my comment was unclear on what I was referring to!

If you have kids you will be able to appreciate that they can't control their own seat heating device (or any device associated with interesting buttons/controls) or at least that you can override it from the front. ;-)

I do have a daughter. But she's only 6-months old and can't reach anything from her infant carrier... :tongue:

I took some pics today in FW5.5 that I believe are new? At least only belong to the Cold weather package:
View attachment 26263
Alarm settings that might belong to the new "Safety option"??

I don't have knowledge about if these features were there on previous versions.

If you mean the safety option at the very top, it is a setting to disable the passenger airbag. That is because in Europe, it has been proven safer to have rear-facing kids seat in the front passenger seat.

I actually made a forum entry requesting this a while back and caught some criticism for it, but if you want to hear the other side you can read my links to the studies done by a Swedish insurance company in the thread. Although I would have liked to see that option here, I'm glad to see that Tesla adapted their cars to the local market (probably local regulation so maybe it wasn't their choice, but anyway.)

Sorry meant to say Sequrity, not safety.
The button saying Tilt/Intrusion, although it seems to be disabled (compared with the other buttons), the same with the Airbag on/off for passenger side.
The Tilt thing is a feature in the SEQURITY package option, which is the only option I did not go for.

Last edited:
Sorry meant to say Sequrity, not safety.
The button saying Tilt/Intrution, although it seems to be disabled (compared with the other buttons), the same with the Airbag on/off for passenger side.
The Tilt thing is a feature in the SEQURITY package option, which is the only option I did not go for.

Oreo - what does the "fog" button do in lighting controls? Rear fog? This is something I'd like to see if I can activate on my car through service. I live in SF and have found it to be useful. I've been able to retrofit it on other cars by buying a European headlight switch but that's obviously not possible with Model S.

I've owned plenty of cars in Europe where there was one switch for fog lights, front and rear combined. Maybe it changed in recent years?

Must have. All of the recent European cars I've owned have had 2 switches for front and rear. Volvo and Audi seem to ship cars here with a rear fog switch. VW and BMW do not.

Anything I can do to make myself more visible in fog or heavy rain is a bonus to me.

Also, on most VAG cars (and others, I'm sure) the fog light switch pops back in when you turn the lights off, so you don't get people driving around with rear fog lights on weeks after the fog went away.

Based on 20yrs of driving in the UK, I'm not sure if rear fogs are safer - people are so prone to leaving them on, or turning them on when they shouldn't, making the brake lights far less obvious. I think the Highway Code says that visibility should be <100yrds before using them, but very few people observe that rule. There was a period when the police started to pull people over for incorrect use of rear-fogs, but they don't seem to do that any more.

I'd assume the "Fog" button activates the fog lights, but I have no idea if it is front, back or both. I didn't check that unfortunately.
Maybe as Laumb says, there could be a combination button. Therefor we should be able to see tha car from the back as well as the front. Next upgrade perhaps??? (or I doubt it). Agree that it's really annoying when people don't turn their rear foglights off, I don't mind the front ones.