Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.5 in EU Spec Cars...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EU has a standard for light switches identification (guess you saw that the main lights selection bar had changed from text In the US cars to icons?).

When figuring out what fogs the switch is for think like this; what direction is the light on the icon pointing - left or right?

Then, imagine yourself looking at the car from the side. The drivers side. Then right would be the back, and left would be the front? Good.

Now take a look at the icon on the screen of the EU Model S. Its direction is right, meaning its the rear fogs.

:)

^^^ Red rear fog lights are mandatory in the EU, although they're usually/often on the same circuit/switch as the front fog lights.

Not entirely correct. Mandatory yes. Rear fog lights may not be used unless visibility is <50 m (at least in Germany - "Deutsche Straßenverkehrsordnung (StVO) § 17 Abs. 3" and so must be separately switchable from front fog lights which may be used in fog, rain and snow. Some (I.e. MB, Audi) have combo switches for both in sequence. I hate it when people in N.A. don't know what those are and turn them on whenever ...

But yes, that's what that button would be for.

Hello

This ist the Light Switch of my Audi S5 Cabrio:
Lichtschalter.jpg

On the left is on the top the Front Fog Light
And at the bottum is the Rear Fog Light.

This is from the Model S
Lichtschalter.jpg

So it seams to be the Rear Fog Light.

But is there no front Fog Light?

Sorry for my bad englisch.

Greetings from Germany

Karsten

Hello

This ist the Light Switch of my Audi S5 Cabrio:
View attachment 26746
On the left is on the top the Front Fog Light
And at the bottum is the Rear Fog Light.

This is from the Model S
View attachment 26747
So it seams to be the Rear Fog Light.

But is there no front Fog Light?

Sorry for my bad englisch.

Greetings from Germany

Karsten

Thanks Karsten. Your English is great!

Yeah - BMW/Audi typically have buttons now. When the headlights are cycled, the fogs turn off (so you can't keep them on). On my VW, you couldn't use fogs (front or rear) in Auto mode. You had to switch to "on" and then pull it out one or two detents to turn them on/off.

Model S doesn't have front fog lights. I wish it did.

I've never found front fog lights to be of any help. If it's dark they're inadequate in most cases, and when it's daytime they don't make a difference. I know some people feel their cars look better with only fog lights, and some use them to reduce wear on their xenon bulbs (totally pointless), but as actual help when it's foggy- no help at all in my experience.

Rear fog lights though can be quite the safety feature in dense fog as lots of people do not adjust speed in low visibility weather.

Model S doesn't have front fog lights. I wish it did.

They'll be an available option again, targeted for later this year.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never found front fog lights to be of any help. If it's dark they're inadequate in most cases, and when it's daytime they don't make a difference. I know some people feel their cars look better with only fog lights, and some use them to reduce wear on their xenon bulbs (totally pointless), but as actual help when it's foggy- no help at all in my experience.

Rear fog lights though can be quite the safety feature in dense fog as lots of people do not adjust speed in low visibility weather.

I actually like them as driving lights. They typically augment the headlight illumination the lower/wider area. In dark areas with drainage culverts (common in the country areas where I live), they can help with the deer and varmints that like to jump out on to the road at night...

It's a rear fog light icon. The "light beams" are to the right.

This is the approved symbol: View attachment 26756 The indicator light in the dashboard is required to be yellow.

Probably somebody at Tesla goofed. But hey, that's the bonus of having a touch screen. One software update later and the beams could be pointing the right way (or left, as it were).

I do that on cars without DRLs.
In two years ive only used te Xenons for ~5'000km of a total ~45'000,-

I guess In the long run it saves you some - as Xenons Are more expensive and complex to swap bulbs.

It`s both pointless and dangerous.

Pointless: My family has driven a total of about 500.000km with xenonlamps ON without any of them going dark
(Golf about 130.000km, 9-5 about 150.000km, newer 9-5 about 140.000km, Passat 30.000km). I`ve never seen a dark bulb on any of my neighbours` cars either, but every now and then I see broken xenon bulbs on the road. In other words, pointless. You`re probably going to experience xenon bulbs going dark anyways due to some sort of external shock, electric failure/fabrication error. Switching them off to avoid them breaking due to wear is just pointless hazzle. In the long run it saves you peanuts.

Dangerous: you may say you`ve never forgotten to switch on your headlights when it goes dark, in tunnells etc, but I would`nt believe you :)

Point: it saves me peanuts In cash, but gets rid of the hassle of getting it fixed when the Xenons eventually turn pink and kill themselves.

Dangerous? On my Saab I would like to believe Ive never forgot them (except tunnels where I don't care as long as others see me coming).
On my Audi they were VAG-COMed to be fog+park and then turn to Xenons automagic when the light sensor told ut too.

But, hey... You don't believe me. :)

It`s both pointless and dangerous.

Pointless: My family has driven a total of about 500.000km with xenonlamps ON without any of them going dark
(Golf about 130.000km, 9-5 about 150.000km, newer 9-5 about 140.000km, Passat 30.000km). I`ve never seen a dark bulb on any of my neighbours` cars either, but every now and then I see broken xenon bulbs on the road. In other words, pointless. You`re probably going to experience xenon bulbs going dark anyways due to some sort of external shock, electric failure/fabrication error. Switching them off to avoid them breaking due to wear is just pointless hazzle. In the long run it saves you peanuts.

Mine didn't go dark, one started to flicker off and on again when I hit bumps in the road. I swapped both as they are usually bought and replaced in pairs.

Video of Norweigan MS delivery: parking sensors, WiFi, door handle, interface changes

Just found this video on the teslamotors.com forum. A nice overview of some changes, including the very much coveted parking sensors!

Please, please, Tesla: offer the Parking sensors as a retrofit! (See the other thread on this...)

Last edited by a moderator: