Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've repeated it in several threads now. A good tesla source (Walter Frank) has indicated that the car does not actively heat the pack unless it's REALLY cold (sub 20°F?)

I learned last night that's not true. It was 37 deg. F. When I got into my car and within a minute of driving a "Battery is heating" notice popped up below the speedo. The fine print said something about normal power returning once battery is warm. The power dotted lines showed power cropped to about 75% and regen cropped to 25% of max.

I have FW 5.6.

So just to clarify, TM has halted the rollout until an updated build is available (1.45.xx)? Or are they actively pushing 1.45.45 OTA and will also be releasing minor bug fixes at some future time? If the latter, I would be very surprised as there is essentially no evidence of OTA updates within the past several days. If the former, I would find myself very frustrated. The deadline was several months ago for this update and, at this point, I just want the update no matter what.

Actually, its not that big of a deal if you live in a warm climate. The only noticeable UI change is the map orientation and the only big advantage is the energy saving mode (aka sleep) so unless you have circumstances to worry about vampire drain there's no reason to feel frustrated.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect they're implementing some rolling fixes and will send an updated build to the remaining folks...then go back and push the updated build to those who already have 5.6. Again, just my hunch.

I'm not sure I'd agree. All the test drive cars have v5.6 and it wouldn't make sense for Tesla to be putting buggy software in front of potential customers; also there seems to be very few bugs at all aside from the odd reboot after install.

I learned last night that's not true. It was 37 deg. F. When I got into my car and within a minute of driving a "Battery is heating" notice popped up below the speedo. The fine print said something about normal power returning once battery is warm. The power dotted lines showed power cropped to about 75% and regen cropped to 25% of max.

I have FW 5.6.

He was talking about the pack being heated while the car is not being driven.

He was talking about the pack being heated while the car is not being driven.

Correct. The pack *absolutely* actively heats up when you start driving--but while parked, there is no active heating unless it's really cold (I think <20degF was the number, but it might be even colder). And I suspect when it's really cold, it only heats up enough to stay in a temperature range to prevent damage to the pack.

- - - Updated - - -

So just to clarify, TM has halted the rollout until an updated build is available (1.45.xx)? Or are they actively pushing 1.45.45 OTA and will also be releasing minor bug fixes at some future time? If the latter, I would be very surprised as there is essentially no evidence of OTA updates within the past several days. If the former, I would find myself very frustrated. The deadline was several months ago for this update and, at this point, I just want the update no matter what.

No. I was speculating based on the fact that we've seen virtually no OTA update reports here in the last week or so, whereas last week we saw many. I was just guessing that they found some issues (perhaps not with all cars) that they may be correcting before pushing to the rest of the folks still on 4.5.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure I'd agree. All the test drive cars have v5.6 and it wouldn't make sense for Tesla to be putting buggy software in front of potential customers; also there seems to be very few bugs at all aside from the odd reboot after install.

I think perhaps it's not an issue with all cars. For instance, it seems like there are a lot of 60 owners that think their cars aren't sleeping very soundly. It may not be a critical issue, so existing cars--perhaps 85s, for instance--wouldn't be of concern. Just thinking they're putting some fixes into a minor build before pushing out to additional cars.

Has anyone else noticed that the magnitude of deceleration from the regen when initially taking your foot off the pedal doesn't seem as aggressive with 5.6? Trying to figure out if this is my imagination or not. Sure feels like it's been reduced by 25% or so, although the magnitude of energy recapture in the display wouldn't suggest it.

Hi! We've only seen temps that low the last few nights. Usually it doesn't get below low 70's at night. I don't pay much attention to overnight losses anymore, so I'll start tracking it just to see if anything changes with the weather. I've become so used to driving electric now all range anxiety is gone. I just plug in when I get home, unplug and go in the morning without looking, really. I sort of checked it the first couple of days after getting 5.6 and was still losing about the same, though.

My lifetime avg wh/mi is 315, which seems pretty good to me so that's what I pay most attention to!

From what I have been seeing it seems as those of us with 60s are getting the brunt of the bugs on this release.

From what I have been seeing it seems as those of us with 60s are getting the brunt of the bugs on this release.

"brunt of the bugs" sounds like a lot; got any specifics? The only thing I have really been noticing in this thread is comments on the range calculations which seem to be primarily from 60s rather than 85s. Hard to see how bugs could impact based on battery pack size but it would be useful to add them to the bug tracker wiki if you have more.

Actually, its not that big of a deal if you live in a warm climate. The only noticeable UI change is the map orientation and the only big advantage is the energy saving mode (aka sleep) so unless you have circumstances to worry about vampire drain there's no reason to feel frustrated.

Well, it is a big deal for those of us who feel that our car shouldn't waste a megawatt of power per year sitting in the garage. I've been a big proponent of sleep mode and have been waiting for over 1 year for a fix. So I would actually disagree that there is no reason to feel frustrated when there is a fix available and TM continues to push back the deadline.

Well, it is a big deal for those of us who feel that our car shouldn't waste a megawatt of power per year sitting in the garage. I've been a big proponent of sleep mode and have been waiting for over 1 year for a fix. So I would actually disagree that there is no reason to feel frustrated when there is a fix available and TM continues to push back the deadline.

I agree with your concerns.

"brunt of the bugs" sounds like a lot; got any specifics? The only thing I have really been noticing in this thread is comments on the range calculations which seem to be primarily from 60s rather than 85s. Hard to see how bugs could impact based on battery pack size but it would be useful to add them to the bug tracker wiki if you have more.

I posted my issues up thread a bit. Sleep mode doesn't work to save range at all, I actually seem to lose more range with it on. If I have it enabled when the car comes out of it the Bluetooth, WiFi, and voice commands don't work and it takes multiple reboots to get them to work right. The passenger door response seems slower too, and the only thing that has changed with all of this is the 5.6 update. Personally I think there are some bugs and that the release should be fixed before rolling it out to anyone else. Of course there are those that seem to disagree with that opinion.

For the time being I have just turned off sleep mode so that the car is livable. When I have time I will get it into the service center if another update hasn't been pushed out by then. In the meantime I have let them (and ownership) know about the bugs I have been seeing.

I posted my issues up thread a bit. Sleep mode doesn't work to save range at all, I actually seem to lose more range with it on. If I have it enabled when the car comes out of it the Bluetooth, WiFi, and voice commands don't work and it takes multiple reboots to get them to work right. The passenger door response seems slower too, and the only thing that has changed with all of this is the 5.6 update. Personally I think there are some bugs and that the release should be fixed before rolling it out to anyone else. Of course there are those that seem to disagree with that opinion.

For the time being I have just turned off sleep mode so that the car is livable. When I have time I will get it into the service center if another update hasn't been pushed out by then. In the meantime I have let them (and ownership) know about the bugs I have been seeing.

What I find strange is that many people seem to be having problems while many others (like myself) have none. I am not an IT/computer person so my next comment may be quite naive....Is it possible that the 'bugs' people are seeing are the result of a problem during their download? I ask because if it were an overall problem in the 5.6 firmware shouldn't everyone have the same 'bug'?

What I find strange is that many people seem to be having problems while many others (like myself) have none. I am not an IT/computer person so my next comment may be quite naive....Is it possible that the 'bugs' people are seeing are the result of a problem during their download? I ask because if it were an overall problem in the 5.6 firmware shouldn't everyone have the same 'bug'?

Sometime subtle issues with the hardware show up after an update that changes functionality.

Since Sleep/wake cycling was not available for testing/QA when the car was made a module that has issues waking properly would not have been caught at that time.

I would take the car and have service check it out. If it consistently takes multiple reboots to get things working, the logs should have info that will help them track it down. Then they can either fix the hardware if it's a unique case, or modify the software to work with/around the hardware behavior if it's a common issue.

1 MW vampire drain would put a different slant on things. Just curious how you calculated that amount of loss?

1 MW vampire drain would put a different slant on things. Just curious how you calculated that amount of loss?

At 320Wh/mile. 1MW would be about 8.65 miles loss a day, which was pretty common before sleep mode.

Remember, the vampire loss it there even when plugged in, you just don't see it as lost range, since they are replenished from shore power. But it's still wasted electricity.

To put that in perspective, my entire house (not counting the Volt) used less than 7MW last year.

Assuming that Tesla has followed very basic rules for field upgradeable software, if there was a problem with the download it would not do the update. With that said, in my case it was installed by service when I was getting my tires rotated. Also just because one some people are seeing the bug and others aren't doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometime subtle issues with the hardware show up after an update that changes functionality.

Since Sleep/wake cycling was not available for testing/QA when the car was made a module that has issues waking properly would not have been caught at that time.

I would take the car and have service check it out. If it consistently takes multiple reboots to get things working, the logs should have info that will help them track it down. Then they can either fix the hardware if it's a unique case, or modify the software to work with/around the hardware behavior if it's a common issue.

I plan to do that, but it's a matter of having the time to get there.

Just another data point with v5.6 Sleep feature.

Sleep seemed to be working OK for me, but it was a bit hit and miss. One time I would run inside a store for 5-10 min and come out to find the car sleeping and have to wait those few seconds to boot up. Other times it would sit a few hours and no sleep mode...but that was less frequent.

This week I'm away at a meeting with my car left at the airport. When I checked the charge after 24 hours away I'd only lost 2 miles and the app had the expected longer delay to connect. Today, 24 hours later, I'd lost about 6 miles and there was almost no connection delay, suggesting that the car did not sleep after I checked the charge level the day before...possibly.

I've been wondering if the app itself might be a factor for those not seeing sleep mode...could the app be frequently pinging the car preventing sleep?