Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was talking to my service advisor yesterday--said the 5.6 rollout should be done by the end of November.

O

which is perfect because in munich elon just said software updates would be coming out in December.

maybe he is finally taking the tesla correction factor into account.

or maybe he knows that we all know that by December he means next June and he was talking about the update after 5.6.

or maybe, in his world it currently is the end of June 2013 (the time by which he promised we'd have our current total of 27 superchargers) and December for him will be next September for us because time moves much slower for him. These updates he speaks of are the 6.0 software.

which is perfect because in munich elon just said software updates would be coming out in December.

maybe he is finally taking the tesla correction factor into account.

or maybe he knows that we all know that by December he means next June and he was talking about the update after 5.6.

or maybe, in his world it currently is the end of June 2013 (the time by which he promised we'd have our current total of 27 superchargers) and December for him will be next September for us because time moves much slower for him. These updates he speaks of are the 6.0 software.

Given the features that he was talking about (navigation that takes total travel time into account, including wind speed, elevation gain, etc and then suggests a route past chargers and even recommends the speed that will get you there the fastest) I am 100% certain that he is talking in Tesla time and meant "the first pre-alpha version will be installed onto one of our test cars in late December and we will make it available to all of you within 6-12 months after that". But that's hard to say, so he just said "will be available, I think, in December".
:)
(and yes, I SO​ want that improved navigation system he is talking about...)

Was talking to my service advisor yesterday--said the 5.6 rollout should be done by the end of November.

O

This is getting ridiculous. The most anticipated vampire drain feature fix will now be available to us 4.X people by end of November??? How is this fair? Tesla should at least allow owners that need this to be upgraded at the service center. At a 200 mile round trip commute and the weather slowly getting colder the vampire drain fix is very important to me. I don't care if there could be minor flaws.

O

Hmmm. The inherent ambiguity in language. By "done," did the service advisor mean all of the cars on 4.5 will have the upgrade by then, or, more pessimistically, Tesla will be "done" working on the upgrade and will start rolling it out to people who have 4.5?

Last edited:
Hmmm. The inherent ambiguity in language. By "done," did the service advisor mean all of the cars on 4.5 will have the upgrade by then, or, more pessimistically, Tesla will be "done" working on the upgrade and will start rolling it out to people who have 4.5?

I asked also when I got my car back after service today. I was told that if I didn't get an update by Thanksgiving, that could bring it in and they can do it directly.

There's no ambiguity. The release 5.6 is already out there. That means it is "done". There's ample evidence they are rolling it on all new cars, europe, 5.0 cars, and beginning 4.5 cars. So what they say is what they mean. End of November is a month, and there's no reason to doubt that is realistic.

Just stop with the software release anxiety. I can understand the frustration of the guy with the 200 mile commute, but for 99% of us, I really think it's just something to fret about -- got the greatest toy in the world, but can't be happy unless it's on the absolute latest software release. Seriously, just be happy and not so darned cynical about a company that has delivered an amazing car and by and large has lived up to every commitment?

There's no ambiguity. The release 5.6 is already out there. That means it is "done". There's ample evidence they are rolling it on all new cars, europe, 5.0 cars, and beginning 4.5 cars. So what they say is what they mean. End of November is a month, and there's no reason to doubt that is realistic.

Just stop with the software release anxiety. I can understand the frustration of the guy with the 200 mile commute, but for 99% of us, I really think it's just something to fret about -- got the greatest toy in the world, but can't be happy unless it's on the absolute latest software release. Seriously, just be happy and not so darned cynical about a company that has delivered an amazing car and by and large has lived up to every commitment?
To be fair, lots of us park at the airport, and as I park for longer and longer trips, it is indeed getting more and more stressful. At some point, prior to getting 5.X, the stress of returning to a car with barely enough range to get home (or worse) will finally outweigh the stress of letting my wife drive the car the whole time I'm out of town!