Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was in for 12K service and some other issues at the San Rafael SC for several days and I specifically requested the update. It is even on my work order but they refused to do it. It seems like the Bay area SCs are not installing the update whereas other places are. Very frustrating to say the least. They are unnecessarily annoying loyal Tesla owners. On top of that I took delivery in Nov 2012 so its not like I just got the car a few months ago.
I just got a note from my service center (Portland). I have scheduled my 5k miles tire rotation for tomorrow and they told me that "as of today" they are installing 5.6 on all cars that are coming in for service.
Very strange that San Rafael refused to do this...

My car was in for 12K service and some other issues at the San Rafael SC for several days and I specifically requested the update. It is even on my work order but they refused to do it. It seems like the Bay area SCs are not installing the update whereas other places are. Very frustrating to say the least. They are unnecessarily annoying loyal Tesla owners. On top of that I took delivery in Nov 2012 so its not like I just got the car a few months ago.
My psychic powers tell me that Tesla "released the hounds" sometime yesterday (or perhaps the day before) but word of this takes some time to reach the various service centers. I bet if you call San Rafael back today (well, tomorrow by now) they'll say yes.

@SuperGizmo - Prove me wrong; give them a call!

I bet if you call San Rafael back today (well, tomorrow by now) they'll say yes.

That may be true, but if San Rafael is anything like Costa Mesa down in So Cal, he wouldn't be able to get an appointment for several weeks. By that time it ought to arrive OTA.

However, if I'm wrong and it's as easy as giving our local SC a call, please let me know because that's what I'd be doing first thing tomorrow.

Local service center manager told me they've been inundated with car owners requesting the upgrade to 5.6. I can't imagine what it's like in California service centers, but I'd imagine it's on the order of 10-50x worse. I'd imagine requests to get cars upgraded falls pretty low on the service centers' priority lists and the OTA updates will come soon enough. At some point - if it hasn't already - it's going to affect their ability to fix other customers' priority issues. They can do the upgrades when the gates are opened by engineering & release management.

My suggestion is to be patient and it will arrive soon.

Local service center manager told me they've been inundated with car owners requesting the upgrade to 5.6. I can't imagine what it's like in California service centers, but I'd imagine it's on the order of 10-50x worse. I'd imagine requests to get cars upgraded falls pretty low on the service centers' priority lists and the OTA updates will come soon enough. At some point - if it hasn't already - it's going to affect their ability to fix other customers' priority issues. They can do the upgrades when the gates are opened by engineering & release management.

The service center in Portland doesn't appear to have a lot of requests. Give them a call and just drive up here :)

I just had my tires rotated and got 1.45.45 while the car was there...

Well, the good news is that once you have 5.6 the car will automatically connect to any Service Center's WiFi. So when 5.7 or whatever comes out you can just sit in the SC parking lot for a couple hours and get the update without having to bug them.

Yes I know you can do WiFi at home too but just had a funny vision of a bunch of TMC members parked in front of SC's in the middle of the night.

I had a problem with my charge port this morning (would not release, no matter what I did). Had to use my wife's Sienna to get to work.

A ranger came to my house while I was at work, and replaced the whole unit.

While here, he updated my car from 4.5 to 5.6.

As mentioned above, he noted that Tesla HQ had authorized wide distribution of 5.6 less than 48 hours ago.

The vampire claimed 5 miles of range last night. Is that about right for the new "energy saving" mode?

What was the average ambient temp? That sounds right if it was really cold.

But if Austin last night, then that sounds high as the temp looks to be in the mid 50's. I'd expect the drain to be more like 3 miles. But it is still way better than it used to be.

Last edited:
It went from 135 to 130 over about 10 hours. Ambient temp, garaged in Austin, so likely in the 70s. Need more data points, mine could have been 134.5 to 130.4, rounding ecould change things.

I was wondering if it takes some time to fall into deep sleep, or if it happens when the doors are locked. I've not noticed any lag with the dashboard, so i am a tad confused. I have verified that the energy switch is set to on (it's now the default).

I had my car into Philly SC today and they updated my car to 5.6. I was hoping to see less "vampire" loss. A few days ago I charged my car to 200 miles. I then drove 97 miles over next couple days without recharging and last night I had 37 rated miles left. Ouch. Last night I charged again to 200 miles, and as of this evening I've driven 67 miles today and have 102 rated miles left. Still not good.

It went from 135 to 130 over about 10 hours. Ambient temp, garaged in Austin, so likely in the 70s. Need more data points, mine could have been 134.5 to 130.4, rounding ecould change things.

I was wondering if it takes some time to fall into deep sleep, or if it happens when the doors are locked. I've not noticed any lag with the dashboard, so i am a tad confused. I have verified that the energy switch is set to on (it's now the default).

70's should be close to optimal so more data points would be great!