Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 320Wh/mile. 1MW would be about 8.65 miles loss a day, which was pretty common before sleep mode.

Remember, the vampire loss it there even when plugged in, you just don't see it as lost range, since they are replenished from shore power. But it's still wasted electricity.

To put that in perspective, my entire house (not counting the Volt) used less than 7MW last year.

Indeed. At 2.5-3 kw/day 4.5 losses total roughly 1 MW/year. Looking at my trip meter, the idle consumption accounts for ~15% of the total power used in my first year of ownership. For those that don't drive as many miles, that percentage could be 20-30%. I'd say that's significant and it's a big reason why I have been advocating for sleep mode.

I've been wondering if the app itself might be a factor for those not seeing sleep mode...could the app be frequently pinging the car preventing sleep?

That's an interesting theory. I wonder if you force kill the app upon exit if it would prevent the app from running in the background.

Just another data point with v5.6 Sleep feature.

Sleep seemed to be working OK for me, but it was a bit hit and miss. One time I would run inside a store for 5-10 min and come out to find the car sleeping and have to wait those few seconds to boot up. Other times it would sit a few hours and no sleep mode...but that was less frequent.

This week I'm away at a meeting with my car left at the airport. When I checked the charge after 24 hours away I'd only lost 2 miles and the app had the expected longer delay to connect. Today, 24 hours later, I'd lost about 6 miles and there was almost no connection delay, suggesting that the car did not sleep after I checked the charge level the day before...possibly.

I've been wondering if the app itself might be a factor for those not seeing sleep mode...could the app be frequently pinging the car preventing sleep?

I think the app is certainly a factor, there was some discussion on this in the VisibleTesla thread.. if you keep making API requests, it keeps the car from going to sleep. The app should know not to make permanent updates if its going to prevent sleep mode, but you can try and manually kill it to prevent it from doing that (on Android, at least). Would be worth an investigation.

For instance, it seems like there are a lot of 60 owners that think their cars aren't sleeping very soundly.
The cars are dreaming about being an 85 or having nightmares about being 40. They keep waking up in cold sweats either way.

Or maybe with the fob nearby they're constantly awake worrying that you plan to go trade them in for a P85++++ with track tuning, AWD, and ... hmm ... hovercraft mode.

Last edited:
I think the app is certainly a factor, there was some discussion on this in the VisibleTesla thread.. if you keep making API requests, it keeps the car from going to sleep. The app should know not to make permanent updates if its going to prevent sleep mode, but you can try and manually kill it to prevent it from doing that (on Android, at least). Would be worth an investigation.

This is the best theory I've heard yet. Remember, the latest app update came out way before sleep mode even existed. So the app doesn't even know not to keep pinging the car! (I can't imagine it would ping the car when not an active app, but stranger things have happened). Maybe the Tesla app needs an update? Would be nice if a few of you 5.6ers who think you have sleep issues test this theory by killing your app (terminating it, not just closing it) on your phone and seeing if that fixes your Model S's insomnia.

I was going to try to get 5.6 pushed to me today since I had a doctor's appt very near the Scottsdale SvC. I had arranged with them to get it and they happily agreed. Unfortunately, I had a last minute appt. pop up precluding me from going there after the doctor's.

I'm waiting for a part replacement that should arrive in the next week or so. So, I'll probably get upgraded when I go in for that.

This is the best theory I've heard yet. Remember, the latest app update came out way before sleep mode even existed. So the app doesn't even know not to keep pinging the car! (I can't imagine it would ping the car when not an active app, but stranger things have happened). Maybe the Tesla app needs an update? Would be nice if a few of you 5.6ers who think you have sleep issues test this theory by killing your app (terminating it, not just closing it) on your phone and seeing if that fixes your Model S's insomnia.

I dunno. I have 5.6 and use the app to wake up the car or start the heat prior to leaving home or work.

My car seems to go to sleep without problem despite my using the app a couple of times per day.

I was going to try to get 5.6 pushed to me today since I had a doctor's appt very near the Scottsdale SvC. I had arranged with them to get it and they happily agreed. Unfortunately, I had a last minute appt. pop up precluding me from going there after the doctor's.
I was at the Scottsdale Service Center last week and got the 5.6 update. They told me it would take 2 hours or so. I asked them why it would take so long to upload, since I thought they did it by hooking the car up to their ethernet network. They told me that the update is still sent over the air. So you really don't need to physically be there for them to do the update. Maybe they can just start the update for you when you are in a good reception area.

easier yet just turn off mobile access in car to test.

I was at the Scottsdale Service Center last week and got the 5.6 update. They told me it would take 2 hours or so. I asked them why it would take so long to upload, since I thought they did it by hooking the car up to their ethernet network. They told me that the update is still sent over the air. So you really don't need to physically be there for them to do the update. Maybe they can just start the update for you when you are in a good reception area.

I was at the Burlingame service center last week and asked them to push 5.6 to me while I took a P85+ for a test drive. Just having fun.

It took about 45 minutes and they needed to bring the car into the service center to do the update. This leads me to believe that was not over the air update

When I called to schedule it yesterday they said it would take about an hour.

Since I have a 60 I am interested to hear other reports of issues with the 60s in the meantime.

When I called to schedule it yesterday they said it would take about an hour.

Since I have a 60 I am interested to hear other reports of issues with the 60s in the meantime.
I've had 5.6 for well over a week in my 60. No issues. It sleeps, wakes up quickly, all new features work... I thought I was still losing about 7 miles overnight, but I don't really pay attention. Last night I did check how many miles I had when it stopped charging, and when I checked this morning it was exactly the same.

I've had 5.6 for well over a week in my 60. No issues. It sleeps, wakes up quickly, all new features work... I thought I was still losing about 7 miles overnight, but I don't really pay attention. Last night I did check how many miles I had when it stopped charging, and when I checked this morning it was exactly the same.

Thanks for the update. Great to hear it's not all 60s. But disconcerting that some have such different experiences.

Thanks for the update. Great to hear it's not all 60s. But disconcerting that some have such different experiences.

I have a 60 and have had no issues with any of the functionality. My rated range loss has decreased although there are some nights it's more than others even with roughly the same temperature. I am going to try killing my iPhone app at night to see if that helps at all. (By "killing," I think that means closing it down completely as opposed to minimizing it where it stays hidden and potentially running).

I have a 60 and have had no issues with any of the functionality. My rated range loss has decreased although there are some nights it's more than others even with roughly the same temperature. I am going to try killing my iPhone app at night to see if that helps at all. (By "killing," I think that means closing it down completely as opposed to minimizing it where it stays hidden and potentially running).

Correct on the iphone. Close completely. Minimizing 'may' still ping the car periodically. I do have an 85 but my greater than 1 week experience with 5. x series is sleep mode only loses 1-2 miles in 12 hour period. To save phone battery I close all my apps completely every night so you may find closing the phone app may help with the vampire loss.

Yes, THAT is unusual. Have you tried pulling the touchscreen fuse (Fuse 51), letting it sit without a fuse for about 10 minutes (let all capacitors drain), then replacing the fuse? Just a suggestion.

Also, I wouldn't wait a week if I were you. Call Tesla tomorrow, and ask them to pull the logs. If there's a bug in 5.6 that's keeping your car from proper sleep, Tesla will want to find out ASAP. That way I get the fixes in my build when they finally push me 5.6 in, say....2015?!? :)

The SC updated my firmware to 5.8 today to address my car's sleep insomnia problems (actually brought it in for a different reason - a 12V battery warning).
Will let you know how well that goes :)

Update: No response as of today on my INCREASED range loss since going to 5.6 from 4.5
I proceeded to DISABLE sleep mode. Suprise, my losses went back down to about 10 miles/day, instead of 16-20 miles in a 6-12 hr period. Go figure @_@

I am going to call tomorrow (trying not to be a pest), and see if their is a solution, or if they can either downgrade me for now to 4.5 or upgrade me to 5.8