Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...snip...
* audio system midbass and bass seems more balanced and volume level has been adjusted. Where as I was running my volume at 6 to 7 before, now running it at 5 to 6 seems to have the same volume level.
I haven't checked audio since the upgrade last night, but I'll try again tonight. I'd thought +4, 0, -1 with +12 to the rear was pretty good with the previous version using the original upgraded sound.

Other than being warm the UMC 14-50 adapter & contacts looked fine. Called Tesla and they said it looked like the line voltage... which was around 203/204V on a 208V 3 phase outlet, that caused the 25% current reduction. Thinking this is going to become a big issue for people on 5.8.4

Indeed. I regularly see voltages in that range, and sometimes even lower, on public 208 volt systems.

Ours has been 40amps every time I have checked since the update. Lowest voltage I have seen is 234 and it was still at 40Amps.

It would be nice to see what the variance is to see if the current reduction is due to voltage or something else.

I haven't checked audio since the upgrade last night, but I'll try again tonight. I'd thought +4, 0, -1 with +12 to the rear was pretty good with the previous version using the original upgraded sound.

Just got the upgrade today. after the upgrade my Radio was off. First I tried to change the volume with no results. mute/unmute didin't work. I had to manually go back into the audio selections and reselect my FM station to hear the sound. From this and earlier posts, it looks like they did some audio system tweaking in this revision.

Just started remote charging after the software update...charging limited to 30 amps now.

Update: Started charging the car while in the car and that is when I noticed that after the update, the amps were set to 30. I increased it back to 40 and charged at 40 no problem. My bad, lol..

Last edited:
Ok, got this update Sunday morning. Strange thing was that we got in the car the main screen wouldn't come on! I tried a few times to reboot it as I was driving and it finally rebooted. Can't blame the new firmware because it wasn't installed yet! I was on the latest like most everyone else.

Noticed soon that my average wh seemed finally back to normal. We've been averaging over 400 since 5.8! Now it is back to just over 300. So I tried to take a screen shot but that doesn't seem to work any more! Pressing and holding both lower steering wheel buttons no longer will provide a screen shot. I held it for at least half a minute once. Has anyone else noticed this in recent updates? It's been a while since I had tried this.

Then today I'm noticing that Slacker Radio suddenly is very unreliable. It has always been good for me before. Songs skipped, dropped and restarted, paused for a long time...

Here's a camera shot of the change in power usage.

pa2evy7u.jpg

Note that I just caught the tail end of the previous higher usage due to playing with the screen shot issue..

My car is currently charging at 234V, 40A on a UMC. No sign of it pulling back the power.

Our office charger only sources about 200V at 70A, since the source voltage is only 208V from 3-phase. I'll check and see if that causes it to pull back on the power. If it pulls back current on lower voltage, not "voltage fluctuations" as claimed, then it's going to be a big problem on road trips. Most of the 70A stations I have encountered are on 3-phase sources and are around 200V.

Edit: actually I think this may be a real concern. A fellow from Montreal stopped by for power today, and when he quickly checked his app the car was NOT drawing full power. I assumed it was still warming up, but maybe it was actually pulled back.

Last edited:
If it pulls back current on lower voltage, not "voltage fluctuations" as claimed, then it's going to be a big problem on road trips. Most of the 70A stations I have encountered are on 3-phase sources and are around 200V.

This actually might be a deal-breaker for me if it proves to be an issue. :eek:

I'm already going to spend huge amounts of time charging when on road trips and have accepted this fact. However, that doesn't mean I want any more delays.

Well, Tesla, you've got about 2 months to fix this or I may have to delay ordering.

I'm confident in your ability, but I hope this doesn't get missed in the rush to fix the air suspension controls.

If it bumps the rate down, can you bump it back up from the touchscreen? If so, will it stay back up at the higher setting?

I think Tesla may need to tweak this so that it only throttles if the voltage is actually fluctuating which would be more common with a loose connection.

If it bumps the rate down, can you bump it back up from the touchscreen? If so, will it stay back up at the higher setting?

I think Tesla may need to tweak this so that it only throttles if the voltage is actually fluctuating which would be more common with a loose connection.

I don't think so.

The release notes said "fluctuations". We'll see if that's what really happens.

I have .4 and last night, for the fun of it, I plugged into the chargepoint at the PCC in Edmonds WA, using the J1772 adapter. the car attempted to run up to 40A and then shot down to 7A with an alert popping up on the dash to the effect of: either you have plugged into an extension cord or there is faulty wiring. I called Chargepoint and let them know there may be a problem with their plug or Tesla's latest software iteration has resulted in the car being hyper sensitive. the J1772 plug is a bit on the old and worn side so chargepoint is likely going to replace it. I also contacted Tesla after hours and reported the issue. The Tesla guy I talked to by phone said there have been several such reports on various home and public chargers and it's being looked into. I would hope this new update is revealing real issues and not causing unnecessary reductions in charging speed. If these are real, then "yay" lets get the wiring/plugs brought up to par!