Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if its related to the update, but I woke up early this morning and, remembering we were going to be driving a lot today, I popped into the app to get the car charging in range mode. I kept hitting "start charging" and nothing happened. Then I noticed my SOC was 213 miles and realized it had stopped charging before full (I go to 230-235).

Head downstairs and sure enough there's a red ring on the charge port. Dash reported error charging call tesla and another error saying error charging unplug and try again,

Unplugged and put the cable back in and all seems well, but the last time this happened I ended up needing a new battery :/

Not sure if its related to the update, but I woke up early this morning and, remembering we were going to be driving a lot today, I popped into the app to get the car charging in range mode. I kept hitting "start charging" and nothing happened. Then I noticed my SOC was 213 miles and realized it had stopped charging before full (I go to 230-235).
This is how the Tesla UMC works i Norway. In other words - seemingly noone in Norway can restart charging from the app when using Tesla UMC. Scheduled charge doesn`t work either.
But this is related to crappy european UMC, not firmware though.

Since updating somewhere between the 5.8 ".30" and the 5.8.4, the Energy Saver (Sleep) mode, which, for the last 3 months has worked perfectly, stopped working. Seems the car now never goes to sleep and is loosing range/SOC very fast. Nothing else has changed, and I have tired all the usual stuff, togging the ON/Off on the new energy saver setting, rebooting etc.

Has anyone has similar experiences? I have an email into ownership, but no news yet.

Thanks!

Got a call from Tesla yesterday stating that the field support techs had reset something in my car, after looking at the data they had, and now the sleep mode is working as expected.

This is how the Tesla UMC works i Norway. In other words - seemingly noone in Norway can restart charging from the app when using Tesla UMC. Scheduled charge doesn`t work either.

I think in Norway it's your bizarre power system that is odd in comparison to rest of Europe. My UMC has worked flawlessly for scheduled charging when I used it.

I have found this too, but also discovered a workaround. Turn on your HVAC from the app first, then start the charge cycle. Once charging has started, you can turn off the HVAC. This has been working for me.

I have found this too, but also discovered a workaround. Turn on your HVAC from the app first, then start the charge cycle. Once charging has started, you can turn off the HVAC. This has been working for me.
I like to charge mid-day when my PV system is providing carbon-free electricity, but sleep mode seems to place the S in a deep slumber from which it can't awaken. If I open the door charging starts, but if I'm not home it's a bit of a pain to remember to call up the car. Glad I'm not away on a long vacation with the battery drifting lower and lower....

"deep sleep" mode is so deep the touchscreen never wakes up, where it is ignoring the display energy saving preference and putting the car to sleep less than a minute after the fob moves away from the car (even with the driver's door open!)

Yuck! Sorry to hear that - hope they can resolve this quickly. I'm not surprised they want their engineers to look into it a bit, but sometimes they seem to replace the main screen pretty quickly for other folks, so I hope they don't take long to decide/figure out...that sounds like a very frustrating problem.

Made my annual trek from Napa to Tucson over the past couple of days. Have updated to .57 firmware. At the Shadow Hills RV Resort in Indio, CA, I had reserved a 14-50 spot for the night. When I plugged in got the warning message and couldn't get more than 30 amps. It was only showing 199v which I suspect is the problem. But it was a nasty surprise as I couldn't do a range charge. When I arrived at our place in Tucson and plugged into my 14-30 plug, that I used all of last season at 30 amps, would now only allow me 24 amps. No warning this time, just locked the amp slider. I'm thinking this firmware update may be a bit of an overreaction. Hopefully TM will modify the firmware to be a little less severe.

I think Bill's real issue is that he could only get 30A from the 50A outlet at the hotel (which should allow 40A). I agree that the performance of the 30A outlet is normal.

If Tesla doesn't do some serious tweaking, it sounds like the power-limiting function could end up being a serious headache when road-tripping. I can't see many proprietors responding with "Your car says my wiring is bad? I'll get right on that!". The realistic result is travelers will just see a 25% reduction in charge rate at many sites. Not something I would tolerate for long. IMHO, this should be prioritized over even the air suspension fix as it has much greater real-world consequences.

I think Bill's real issue is that he could only get 30A from the 50A outlet at the hotel (which should allow 40A). I agree that the performance of the 30A outlet is normal.

If Tesla doesn't do some serious tweaking, it sounds like the power-limiting function could end up being a serious headache when road-tripping. I can't see many proprietors responding with "Your car says my wiring is bad? I'll get right on that!". The realistic result is travelers will just see a 25% reduction in charge rate at many sites. Not something I would tolerate for long. IMHO, this should be prioritized over even the air suspension fix as it has much greater real-world consequences.
The lady that showed men to my $60 14-50 plug and space was astounded that Tess had an issue with there wiring. She claimed they regularly have an electrician inspect the circuits. Who knows, but I can say most of the occupants there spent an amount equal to or greater than what we paid for the Tesla. Admittedly, once a SC is installed in Cabzon/Indio, RV parks will be in my past.

My anecdote:

I often charge on a 6-50 at 40amps at my mom's who has a welding plug in her garage. I use a 30+ foot extension cord from the 6-50, and then plug in the UMC. Until 5.8.4, I was getting 40amps and 240V no problem. When I plugged in on Xmas day, it dropped down to 30A... I doubt there were "fluctuations" in the power feed, I'm guessing it somehow detects the resistance formed by the extra long extension?

In any case, it's a bummer. Losing that 10 or 12 km/h in charge rate hurts a bit. I didn't try to manually bump it back up to 40A. I was inside and it was REALLY cold that day. Would be nice to be able to adjust charging amperage from the remote app (or Visible Tesla)...

What gauge is your extension cord? 6/4 SOOW?

My anecdote:

I often charge on a 6-50 at 40amps at my mom's who has a welding plug in her garage. I use a 30+ foot extension cord from the 6-50, and then plug in the UMC. Until 5.8.4, I was getting 40amps and 240V no problem. When I plugged in on Xmas day, it dropped down to 30A... I doubt there were "fluctuations" in the power feed, I'm guessing it somehow detects the resistance formed by the extra long extension?

In any case, it's a bummer. Losing that 10 or 12 km/h in charge rate hurts a bit. I didn't try to manually bump it back up to 40A. I was inside and it was REALLY cold that day. Would be nice to be able to adjust charging amperage from the remote app (or Visible Tesla)...

Made my annual trek from Napa to Tucson over the past couple of days. Have updated to .57 firmware. At the Shadow Hills RV Resort in Indio, CA, I had reserved a 14-50 spot for the night. When I plugged in got the warning message and couldn't get more than 30 amps. It was only showing 199v which I suspect is the problem. But it was a nasty surprise as I couldn't do a range charge. When I arrived at our place in Tucson and plugged into my 14-30 plug, that I used all of last season at 30 amps, would now only allow me 24 amps. No warning this time, just locked the amp slider. I'm thinking this firmware update may be a bit of an overreaction. Hopefully TM will modify the firmware to be a little less severe.

199 volts is too low. They probably used the 3% rule. So anything less than 201v on a 208v circuit and 232v on a 240v circuit will get you a derated charge.