Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
a4u2ysyh.jpg

abyda6y2.jpg

It was a little dark this am. But you can see the lower part of the screen that shows the area you are backing into.

I think you'll find that this is just parking sensors, not the lines on the camera that everyone is alluding to.

Something like this is what people want:

16dmh-camry-atara-sl-reversing-camera-940x529.jpg

Lines are useful for parking spots especially since the camera isn't centered. Back in and done. Easy with lines. Thats what i thought you meant because they are super easy to add.

From my reading of the specs of the nvidia chip used that may not be the case. It seems that chip has issues with graphics overlays on top of video streams. That's why the backup camera picture moves down when the homelink drop down opens.
So this may be impossible without a hardware update. Well, they could stream the video into a memory buffer, copy the frames, do the overlay and render that on screen, but they'd lose hardware acceleration and would likely have an awful framerate.

On the topic of charging....I have had the power issue warning and current reduction to 30 amps on my 14-50 showing up also.

I emailed the local Service Center and Ownership and they tracked the issue for a while and will be replacing my master charger in the car tomorrow.

When charging the voltage went from 240 volts at no current to 220 volts under full load for a voltage drop of almost 10%. The calculated voltage drop on all of my feeders to the receptacles is less than 2%, not accounting for saturation of the utility transformer.

I was told that they new firmware makes the acceptable tolerances to power and voltage at the charger much tighter which may be causing them to find issues with their own equipment on the car, as in my case.

I will update after the installation tomorrow.

On the topic of charging....I have had the power issue warning and current reduction to 30 amps on my 14-50 showing up also.

I emailed the local Service Center and Ownership and they tracked the issue for a while and will be replacing my master charger in the car tomorrow.

When charging the voltage went from 240 volts at no current to 220 volts under full load for a voltage drop of almost 10%. The calculated voltage drop on all of my feeders to the receptacles is less than 2%, not accounting for saturation of the utility transformer.

I was told that they new firmware makes the acceptable tolerances to power and voltage at the charger much tighter which may be causing them to find issues with their own equipment on the car, as in my case.

I will update after the installation tomorrow.

So was your car showing 220v when charging?

So I checked ours. Car is showing 236v. At the breaker we have 255.6v. There is less than 6' of #6 wire so I know there is no voltage drop from the breaker to the outlet.

I think you may have uncovered something.

Yes, 220 when charging or heating the cabin from shore power.

I hadn't thought about it too much until the charging power error's started showing up 10% voltage drop is pretty high considering the load and cables in involved. As i never had the charging fault during the day ( only at night ) I assumed that it was a case of the heat pump and charger coming on at the same time and really overloading the utility transformer on the pole ( which is only 25kVA, but should not drop that much voltage even at that load level ).

Perhaps the voltage measured via Model S is in the electronic of the charger itself and after some kind of mechanical connection or contactor that is introducing excessive resistance into the circuit, hence the high voltage drop. I may know tomorrow but the Rangers are rather cagey with releasing too much information around here...

I have a very long "favorites" list for my USB - which worked great until the 5.8 software releases. After the car's been sitting for a while, when I try to resume playback in the favorites list, the same song will be played back repeatedly - and the only way to move to the next song is to manually scroll through the long favorites list and click on the next song - and everything works great again - until the next time the car sits.

I suspect this is a bug in how the current media playback status is being saved and restored when the car enters sleep mode.

Since I really only need sleep mode in the few occasions when I'm taking a trip and the car will be parked for extended periods without a charger (at the airport), there doesn't seem to be any real benefit for having the sleep mode enabled. So, at least until the favorites playback problem is fixed, I'm going to try disabling sleep mode - and see if that corrects the favorites playback problem.

I have a very long "favorites" list for my USB - which worked great until the 5.8 software releases. After the car's been sitting for a while, when I try to resume playback in the favorites list, the same song will be played back repeatedly...

I have had this happen twice, dating well back before 5.8.4. Although I am listening to Slacker more often than my USB.

@Bob_p - I noticed this as well after my first 5.8 version, never under 4.5 Someone previously posted that if you have the same title more than once on your USB (example different artists or version of the same song) that is the cause of "duplicates" showing up, but it is truly a bug because the multiples are NOT the different versions, simply the one song that should be there played n times.

Hope this get resolved and shuffle is implemented soon.

Also as some have previously posted, I noticed a significant improvement in sound quality (I have the original sig Sound upgrade). Perhaps the DSP codecs or Dolby firmware changed. In any event I was startled how much clearer the stereo imaging was and the mid-bass now clearer, was quite muddy before.

Color me happy!

Ring of death struck me for the first time; really unpleasant experience. Not sure if it's related to 5.8.4 but god this was stressfull. There seems to be 2 or more things at play here, it's not only the -25% current draw but also, in my case, charging stopped every now an then with the red charging port ring every time.

Story:

Left my place with 291km of range, arrived at destination - Bromont - with 123km (a 102km ride took 168km of range)
Stayed there 2 days, needed 175km of range to be comfortable to come back
I plugged at 10am the first day on a 110V outside outlet with my usual extension cord (gage 14, 50 feet) - I plugged many times with it without issue
After the ski, at around 5pm, I noticed that the car is not charging anymore and has 108km of range ... => red ring
I pulled the UMC and plugged back a couple of times, I reset the screen before it works again, checked all the connections and all looked good (I was getting messages like "bad wiring or extension cord, reduced current and then unable to charge, contact Tesla service" alternatively depending if it was charging or if charging was stopped; it finally charged from 6pm to noon the next day at 4km/h which was ok for what I needed (the last time I checked before going to ski I was at 164km of range)
Called Tesla hotline and they were not helpful at all; they said the Service Center would call me the next day which they didn't
The next day, I went to ski and checked the app while skiing => charging had stopped
Came back to the cottage and red ring again with 160km of range
Needed to leave so I plugged it back for maybe 15 min and when it started to work (after a couple of unplug/plug) I got 0km/h of charge but range started to increase (it was -17C/0F outside) so battery must have been heating before charging.
Left with 164km of range, put the heating on at minimum (64F) and drove at 55 mph
I finally reached destination with 10 miles remaining but quite a bad experience of charging in a remote location
Not something my dad or my wife would have been able to deal with

Anybody knows what could have happened. I sent the same message to the Service Center

_____

forgot to mention that I charged at my place with the extension cord and UMC when I arrived home and was getting 6km/h no messages...

PB

Ring of death struck me for the first time; really unpleasant experience. Not sure if it's related to 5.8.4 but god this was stressfull. There seems to be 2 or more things at play here, it's not only the -25% current draw but also, in my case, charging stopped every now an then with the red charging port ring every time.

forgot to mention that I charged at my place with the extension cord and UMC when I arrived home and was getting 6km/h no messages...

PB

Hey Pat,

This is not a great story. Sorry to hear about your experience at Bromont. I've actually been to Bromont and back twice with my car and although it gobbled about 280 Wh/km, I didn't try charging there, so I'm not sure how it would go.

I think that your experience must be related to the 5.8.4 firmware. I never had issues before charging at my mom's on a 6-50, and all of a sudden, it goes from 40A to 30A. It can't be a coincidence. It seems like TM was a bit TOO cautious in implementing this upgrade.

I would guess that the 120V feed at the cottage in Bromont just wasn't very stable so the car's charging system (due to 5.8.4) decided to stop working. TM should maybe implement some kind of disclaimer override (ie. your car's charging system thinks your power feed is unstable, charge anyway?).

Please keep us posted with the outcome of your experience!

Rob

Also as some have previously posted, I noticed a significant improvement in sound quality (I have the original sig Sound upgrade). Perhaps the DSP codecs or Dolby firmware changed. In any event I was startled how much clearer the stereo imaging was and the mid-bass now clearer, was quite muddy before.

Color me happy!
Absolutely agree. The bass now no longer needs to be turned up as much and both mid and treble can be set to 0. Also, with and without Dolby the volume levels and EQ levels are more commensurate though Dolby still has less volume at the same setting.

Hey Pat,

This is not a great story. Sorry to hear about your experience at Bromont. I've actually been to Bromont and back twice with my car and although it gobbled about 280 Wh/km, I didn't try charging there, so I'm not sure how it would go.

I think that your experience must be related to the 5.8.4 firmware. I never had issues before charging at my mom's on a 6-50, and all of a sudden, it goes from 40A to 30A. It can't be a coincidence. It seems like TM was a bit TOO cautious in implementing this upgrade.

I would guess that the 120V feed at the cottage in Bromont just wasn't very stable so the car's charging system (due to 5.8.4) decided to stop working. TM should maybe implement some kind of disclaimer override (ie. your car's charging system thinks your power feed is unstable, charge anyway?).

Please keep us posted with the outcome of your experience!

Rob

I agree Rob, we should have an option of saying charge anyway. This way Tesla could protect themselves since they have a proof that the owner did it on purpose.

I fear the time where I will travel to my parent's place in Quebec City. I normally use a 50 feet extension cord gage 8 Soow with Nema 14-50 that connects to their oven plug. I normally go there for a weekend (36-48 hours) so I can't use 110V outlet to charge, I need the 240V 25-30A. And, if ever I hit the ring of death again because I use an unstable circuit what will I do.

Hopefully that was an isolated event maybe related to the new update and the fact I was using a gage 14 extension cord coupled with long and bad inside wiring/cheap chineese outlet (it is a brand new cottage). In retrospect, I should have tried other outlets closer to the main electrical panel.

PS for the last couple of days, I'm in the same situation (remote from home with access to charging but using extension cords) and decided to use my ICE. No chance to take with -33C last night (-27F). Prefer to keep my baby in a warm garage.

PB

I agree Rob, we should have an option of saying charge anyway. This way Tesla could protect themselves since they have a proof that the owner did it on purpose.

I fear the time where I will travel to my parent's place in Quebec City. I normally use a 50 feet extension cord gage 8 Soow with Nema 14-50 that connects to their oven plug. I normally go there for a weekend (36-48 hours) so I can't use 110V outlet to charge, I need the 240V 25-30A. And, if ever I hit the ring of death again because I use an unstable circuit what will I do.

Hopefully that was an isolated event maybe related to the new update and the fact I was using a gage 14 extension cord coupled with long and bad inside wiring/cheap chineese outlet (it is a brand new cottage). In retrospect, I should have tried other outlets closer to the main electrical panel.

PS for the last couple of days, I'm in the same situation (remote from home with access to charging but using extension cords) and decided to use my ICE. No chance to take with -33C last night (-27F). Prefer to keep my baby in a warm garage.

PB

Pat,

If it's any consolation, I've charged on a 6-50 using an extension cord and gotten 30A instead of 40A, not a ring of death, so I'm thinking you'll still get at least 22-24A on a 30A circuit using extension cords.

Did you ask TM to look at your logs to see what the ring of death was all about? Curious to know their take on it.

PB

Pat, I went to Quebec city for 7 days around Christmas and used the 70A charger at Hotel Sepia, its a SunCountry Highway charger and works very well, worst case you can leave your car there for 2-3 hours and get it full before you leave for Montreal.

Had another new firmware glitch on the weekend. I would enter a GPS destination, and it would immediately pop the directions up on the display. About 2 seconds later they would quietly vanish!

This was 100% repeatable every time and no matter what destination I entered.

I actually had something like this happen recently, despite the fact that I don't have the Tech Package. I searched for a location (by voice IIRC, saying "navigate to xyz"), and for a split second I saw it start to draw a list of directions (the only text I remember seeing was the "Mute" button), but then it disappeared quickly (less than 1s).

Since disabling the sleep mode - haven't lost position playing USB favorites list - so that appears to confirm there's a bug in saving and restoring of the entertainment system status when using sleep mode.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update (really wish they would list the bug fixes in each release...).