TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Gizmotoy, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I got notified last night that a new firmware build included a fix for folding mirror issues, which I'd had in the past, and that my car got pushed to the top of the queue. It was waiting when I took it to work this morning. I'll get it installed tonight and see what's new.

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

So I got 1.49.83. I didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages of the thread, but maybe it's an old one, because I see no changes to the charging screen, or anything else for that matter. The release notes were the standard 5.8 notes.

3. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

When I picked mine up from service today (drive inverter was swapped) I noticed they did a minor update from .57 to .83 , did not notice any difference on my way home, no changes in release notes either.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390654067.923103.jpg

4. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

Has anyone been able to confirm that 5.8.x enabled higher amperage on the driver's side USB port? There was a post a while back, but I didn't see any confirmation of this from other users, and when I've checked in my MS, I don't see any change. I installed a couple of battery apps/widgets to try & confirm, but they are still reporting 500mA charge rates, which is why I'm asking to see what the consensus is.

Thanks!

5. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Hmm, no firmware pushed to me either and I have a ticket open with charging issues and was promised they'll try to push it to me amongst first people.

6. dave

dave Member

I also installed some battery widgets after that post and confirmed that the driver side USB port does have higher amperage. Can't remember the numbers, but it was still less than my 12V adapter, so I just stook with that for charging my phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Here we go again. Let's please not clutter the thread up with folks posting that they don't have a new firmware update yet. Especially when if hasn't been confirmed that ANYONE has it yet.

7. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I get a chuckle from it ....

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

9. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

Actually noticed there is now no more mention of the charge current reduction in the release notes, and they use a version 5.8.6 in there while the version number just says 5.8

Previous version 5.8.4 (1.49.57):
    View attachment 40070

Current version 5.8 (1.49.83):
    View attachment 41833

Current release notes mention version 5.8.6:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390727039.894769.jpg

10. hans

hans P631

I bet the "charging improvements" relate to better balancing of the pack to avoid the range degradation some people are seeing.

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

In the words of the immortal Smokey Robinson...I second that emotion! ;-)

12. Aurvandil

Aurvandil P85

The "charging improvements" are mainly a fix for some charging issues specific to Norway, as far as I know.

13. GDH

GDH Banned

#13 GDH, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Firmware 5.8.6

I tested my vampire drain last night, I only lost 2 miles. It had been sitting since 4pm yesterday.

Last night:
    4ydagaje.jpg

This morning
    berydapu.jpg

The weather
    esevuqu3.jpg

Not to shabby.

14. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Mod Note: thread title updated. As these seem to be maintenance releases without new release notes, I'm leaving .6 and .7 combined for now.

16. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

I got 5.8.6 last night and installed immediately. Tesla also called me that this is the release to fix my scheduled charging issues where the car was cold soaked after standing in -16..-22C weather for 8+ hours before charging was to start. I can confirm that I left the car standing for 16h and it was -19C today (car interior reported -15C so it was really cold soaked) and it started charging without issues now. This should also fix a number of the norwegian and others issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Tesla also told me that this release changes the behavior slightly for the 12V battery. Previously if you opened the charge port the 12V wasn't backed by the large battery pack until you either started charging or closed the port and pressed brake pedal. Now with this release it will use the wall power to support the 12V until charging starts. This means that there should be less 12V issues with scheduled charging where you wait for long time before scheduled charge starts.

17. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

So Mario, what was the cold soaked charging issue anyways? Just that the car wouldn't charge if it got left in the cold too long? Sounds like a big problem!

18. pbrulott

pbrulott Member

19. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

This is my hope as well. That charge-limiting will make travel a pain.

20. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

#20 J in MN, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Mine drops every single weekday now. The exact time varies by a few minutes, but otherwise exactly the same. According to my SC it only fixes the case where charge current would increase above the user selected value after a disruption.