Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firmware 5.8.6/7

Its 5.8.7. I thought before it told you the new version you were about to install so you could see what version it was and read the release notes before committing to the install.

I also discovered holding down in the T until it pulses brings up an access code screen. Perhaps for Tesla service.

I'm also wondering if the service center pushed the update to our car since we have a UMC-charge port connecting problem that they are sending a new UMC to resolve.

Last edited:
I'm also wondering if the service center pushed the update to our car since we have a UMC-charge port connecting problem that they are sending a new UMC to resolve.
I was told that recently the policy shifted and they are, shall we say, more aggressive about almost always updating firmware -- especially when componentry is changed.

Its 5.8.7. I thought before it told you the new version you were about to install so you could see what version it was and read the release notes before committing to the install.

I also discovered holding down in the T until it pulses brings up an access code screen. Perhaps for Tesla service.

That has been known for a long time.

I've got the OTA update installing right now.

I asked them to push it to my car a week ago as I was having issues with the foldable mirrors being finicky and they told me that 5.8.7 fixed that, but they have not yet pushed it to my car :mad:.

SmartPhone App Suggestion: Would be nice to be notified about OTA updates in the app (for iOS could use notification center to push alerts up on the lock screen; don't know the counterpart API on Android) and be allowed to accept and schedule installation from the app.

Okay, my OTA update was V5.8.7 (1.49.84).

Release notes are the same as 5.8.

IMG_2526.JPG

It says "charging improvements" so maybe they've done something about the voltage fluctuation false detections. (That is something I have complained about - maybe that's a reason I got it early? Will have to make a point of charging on our 70A station for the next while to see if it trips.)

Note: mine was an OTA update to a WiFi connected S.
Just checked and there was an update waiting on WiFi connected S already running 49.57. Will see what I get in an hour or so.

(later...)

Got the 1.49.84 version of 5.8.7.

I think they improved the stereo. It actually sounds pretty good when using the Dolby. I'd tried first without Dolby, setting +2.0, +1.0, +0.5 and 9 to the rear on fader where I'd previously had +1.0, 0.0, 0.5 and 12 to the rear on fader. With Dolby, however, I use only 5 to the rear on fader and it sounds pretty nice.

May fiddle with it some more, but pretty happy with it as it stands.

Last edited:
Just had a minor glitch: after going through a car wash the auto screen brightness setting refused to go back to night mode. Had to reboot.

Seems to me every time there's an update, I have to reboot it the next day due to glitches. I should probably just always reboot whenever I get an update.

Other than that, it's all working well. Charged at the office 70A charger and it didn't back off 25%. But we'll wait and see how that goes. I'm going to Montreal in a couple of weeks; will try the Hotel Mortagne, which reportedly always trips it (very low voltage).

Other than that, it's all working well. Charged at the office 70A charger and it didn't back off 25%. But we'll wait and see how that goes. I'm going to Montreal in a couple of weeks; will try the Hotel Mortagne, which reportedly always trips it (very low voltage).

Let us know how you make out, Doug. According to Plugshare, many of the SCH stations are reporting sub-200 voltages. I.E. Prime candidates for charge current reduction.

Let us know how you make out, Doug.

I tried it today, so far so good.

According to Plugshare, many of the SCH stations are reporting sub-200 voltages. I.E. Prime candidates for charge current reduction.

That's not surprising, due to the 208V source from 3-phase power that you usually see in larger buildings. Including our office - at full power it's always under 200V. (In comparison I often get 237V/70A at home, from 2-phase).

My suspicion is that the algorithm was more sensitive to fluctuations when it also saw low voltage, because I don't see the same false triggers at home. Hopefully they've adjusted it to correct for that. (I suggested they go back to the old algorithm for power levels greater than 40A, since they obviously aren't plugged into a UMC).

Firmware 5.8.6/7

Still trips for me, so I have now adjusted my scheduled start time to avoid the trip (always between 06:15 and 06:30).

As far as I can tell the only thing that was fixed is the case where charge current increased to 30 A when you selected something less than that. And maybe the >40 A case as Doug says.