Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Low ride height has NOT been restored. It's different now sort of but still broken in this latest update - 1.49.30. If anything, it seems even more broken now than before. Let me explain.

thoroughly tested this on my way to work this morning.

First thing to note that when parked and set to low, when you change to drive it auto raises back to standard. Ok. Trying to change to low at very slow speeds < 10 mph will get rejected.

However, above 10mph you can manually set to low and it *seems* to stick. Even stays low at highway speeds. For a while. I'll get back to this.

It also still auto-lowers at 97mph too (really? you guys haven't fixed that yet???) and sticks until you fall back below 65 mph at which point it auto returns to standard height again.

So this brings me back to my earlier point. If you set low manually it stays low. If you speed up to 75 mph then slow to 50mph it stays low. BUT if you set low manually and then go above 97mph then drop below 62 it will auto raise again and then it will NOT let you manually set to low anymore. I had to come to a complete stop and park to reset again so that I could start driving and manually set to low for it to stick.

Now at 75mph changing to standard works but then manually going back to low is rejected.

Finally I did a full system reboot and now none of that manual lowering is working anymore.

This is really starting to piss me off.

At first I thought the takeaway from this is to AVOID going over 97mph. But now I am thinking that the UI is just more susceptible to being broken and showing the wrong ride height. Obviously as I'm driving I can't really tell if those ride heights were actually working at all anyway.

My conclusion on this is that low suspension remains disabled. If anything, the UI seems more broken.

Does anyone else find it interesting that 5.8 came out almost overnight. No notices. Noticeably lacking Release Notes. No communications as to what was affected. No mention of dumbing down the "Smart" air suspension. But it was pushed out to EVERYONE virtually overnight? The carrot to get EVERYONE to bite was faster charging. But the incremental updates that have come out since (.24; .25, .29; .30) have been VERY slow to reach the user base. I have yet to be notified of any incremental updates. It seems clear to me that Tesla knows exactly what they are doing and the user base seem to be the lab mice in these maneuverings.

Does anyone else find it interesting that 5.8 came out almost overnight. No notices. Noticeably lacking Release Notes. No communications as to what was affected. No mention of dumbing down the "Smart" air suspension. But it was pushed out to EVERYONE virtually overnight? The carrot to get EVERYONE to bite was faster charging. But the incremental updates that have come out since (.24; .25, .29; .30) have been VERY slow to reach the user base. I have yet to be notified of any incremental updates. It seems clear to me that Tesla knows exactly what they are doing and the user base seem to be the lab mice in these maneuverings.

Do not judge reality by forum posts. I have not been pushed any flavor of 5.8.

Pace of rollout of all releases save 5.8 has been deliberate. People have griped on forum ad infinitum about pace of rollout, not getting yet, where is it? Etc. Also have cursed when pushed fast (5.8). In a forum, everyone is happy zero percent of time. Tesla knows right answer is slow, but 5.8 was (perhaps misguided) one off attempt to get out ahead of NHTSA investigation. There's not a lab experiment, just a company trying to find way in market where they are under constant microscope.

For my part, my only complaint is lack of communication. I understand legal land mines here but they need to improve among employees and ownership. Adopting TSB approach would be a start.

PS Hey, my car is 1 year old today!!!!!!

My car was in for service last week & they upgraded me to .30.

The service consisted of fixed my alignment issue & they changed out a lot of suspension components.

So I noticed an issue & I wondered if it was the service, the update or the cold & salt. The car is in a semi-heated garage at night so it is in the 50's inside.

When I start in the morning, the front brakes are semi-seized. I have to accelerate a little to unlock them out.

Anyone else having this issue?

PearlModelS: High performance brake pads and disks all seem to have this characteristic. My CTS-V would do the same thing after washing or driving in the rain. Cadillac makes a statement in the owner manual that this is "normal" and not a concern. Seems the pads lightly "rust" to the disk surface overnight.

Just found out that the new 1.49.30 update contains an updated manual section about the "Active Height Suspension" that is now called "Smart Air Suspension".

They removed the now "obsolete" info about height based changes relative to driving speed.

Screenshot from 5.8 1.49.25
View attachment 38374

Screenshots from 5.8 1.49.30
View attachment 38375

View attachment 38376

I have not seen anything about Smart Air Suspension.

Hey guys, I just found out from the SM that rev .30 ups the amps on the USB ports, too. 2.1A for the driver's side and 1A for the passenger side.
No more need to have the higher amp charger stuck in my 12V socket now! W000T!

Also, the .30 update discovered that I have a malfunctioning (mechanical) passenger rear door exterior handle actuator. C'est la vie.

And yeah, I would LOVE to get a line-by-line breakdown on what these updates fix. Of course, if this was normal software/hardware OEMs, you'd get a large list of good and bad. Maybe Tesla only wants us to see the new whizzbang enhancements.

I tried plugging my iPad to charge on the driver's side USB port and it still doesn't charge. Not sure if this is truly happening with .30.

OK, so I posted just this AM that I had not yet had any variety of 5.8 pushed (still on 5.6). Also that my car is celebrating birthday today, yippee!

Of course, as soon as I got in the car this morning: yellow alarm clock.

Should I, shouldn't I… 5.6 > 5.8 ? Votes, suggestions? By post or PM. Thx

OK, so I posted just this AM that I had not yet had any variety of 5.8 pushed (still on 5.6). Also that my car is celebrating birthday today, yippee!

Of course, as soon as I got in the car this morning: yellow alarm clock.

Should I, shouldn't I… 5.6 > 5.8 ? Votes, suggestions? By post or PM. Thx

Yah, I struggled with the same thing. I was very happy going from 4.5 to 5.6, and resisted the 5.8 update for about 2 weeks, because of the suspension change. I finally figured out that "resistance is futile." There will be a steady stream of updates which will continue to improve the car, so no matter how long you put it off, you will eventually have to give in and do the installs! And, the suspension change has had virtually no effect on my range! BTW, I've got a b-day celebration coming up soon, as well! Picked up my car on 12/30/12!

Low ride height has NOT been restored. It's different now sort of but still broken in this latest update - 1.49.30. If anything, it seems even more broken now than before. Let me explain.

thoroughly tested this on my way to work this morning.

First thing to note that when parked and set to low, when you change to drive it auto raises back to standard. Ok. Trying to change to low at very slow speeds < 10 mph will get rejected.

However, above 10mph you can manually set to low and it *seems* to stick. Even stays low at highway speeds. For a while. I'll get back to this.

It also still auto-lowers at 97mph too (really? you guys haven't fixed that yet???) and sticks until you fall back below 65 mph at which point it auto returns to standard height again.

So this brings me back to my earlier point. If you set low manually it stays low. If you speed up to 75 mph then slow to 50mph it stays low. BUT if you set low manually and then go above 97mph then drop below 62 it will auto raise again and then it will NOT let you manually set to low anymore. I had to come to a complete stop and park to reset again so that I could start driving and manually set to low for it to stick.

Now at 75mph changing to standard works but then manually going back to low is rejected.

Finally I did a full system reboot and now none of that manual lowering is working anymore.

This is really starting to piss me off.

At first I thought the takeaway from this is to AVOID going over 97mph. But now I am thinking that the UI is just more susceptible to being broken and showing the wrong ride height. Obviously as I'm driving I can't really tell if those ride heights were actually working at all anyway.

My conclusion on this is that low suspension remains disabled. If anything, the UI seems more broken.

I tested this today too with some slightly different results.

I can enter low in park and have the same results. Sometimes I can get the display to say the car is in low when going between 10 and 14 mph. I get the error message every time at 15 and above.

If I enter low using this method after I stop the car it still says it's in low. When I hit the standard button the display changed to standard but the car doesn't change heights. For this reason I do not think the car is actually entering low despite it reporting that it is in low mode.

At these speeds you can hear the pumps working to adjust the height if the radio and fan are off. When going from standard to high and back I can hear the pumps. The low to std and back do not make any sounds. When I am parked the sondes between low and other levels are all identical.

I also could not always get the car to "display low" when between 10 and 15.

My car was in for service last week & they upgraded me to .30.

The service consisted of fixed my alignment issue & they changed out a lot of suspension components.

So I noticed an issue & I wondered if it was the service, the update or the cold & salt. The car is in a semi-heated garage at night so it is in the 50's inside.

When I start in the morning, the front brakes are semi-seized. I have to accelerate a little to unlock them out.

Anyone else having this issue?

Me too. Although not every time but seems worse during the winter. Not at all surprising though. Every car I have owned thus far has done this.

Do not judge reality by forum posts. I have not been pushed any flavor of 5.8.

Pace of rollout of all releases save 5.8 has been deliberate. People have griped on forum ad infinitum about pace of rollout, not getting yet, where is it? Etc. Also have cursed when pushed fast (5.8). In a forum, everyone is happy zero percent of time. Tesla knows right answer is slow, but 5.8 was (perhaps misguided) one off attempt to get out ahead of NHTSA investigation. There's not a lab experiment, just a company trying to find way in market where they are under constant microscope.

For my part, my only complaint is lack of communication. I understand legal land mines here but they need to improve among employees and ownership. Adopting TSB approach would be a start.

PS Hey, my car is 1 year old today!!!!!!

Cool.

The difference is that in previous roll outs the Regional Manager didn't call to find out why you weren't upgrading.