Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received .30 yesterday... Exactly 1 month after receiving 5.8.

On the .24 variant of 5.8, sleep was mostly not functioning. Most days, I'd lose 5-6 miles of range while parked at the office. I saw 1 mile lost once. That was 2x the vampire loss of 4.5!

Today on .30, I lost 3 miles while parked for a bit under 10 hours. Similar to the loss I saw on 4.5. Will keep monitoring to see if I'm back to the 4.5 vampire levels...

Hey guys, I just found out from the SM that rev .30 ups the amps on the USB ports, too. 2.1A for the driver's side and 1A for the passenger side. No more need to have the higher amp charger stuck in my 12V socket now! W000T!
You'd know for sure with a device like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z1E3IY/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
31qfZI-bYXL.jpg

I tested my 2011 Volt and got these results. It couldn't keep up with my large screen Razr Maxx HD:
RBMu.jpeg

Updated to .30 two days ago.

Vampire sleep mode: <2 miles per day with Energy Savings ON; ~4 to 5 miles per day with Energy Savings OFF.

I restarted both central and dash screens after the update.

I did notice that the Slacker previous searched list was blanked out (but the Favorites List remained). The mysterious Slacker reception problems while under Energy Savings ON mode seemed to have gone away with this version upgrade.

New oddities - Auto dimming of central screen wasn't working until I cycled it to Night mode and then back; Auto ON headlights were switched to OFF - that caused a few seconds of panicked probing of the screen as I drove downhill from the garage last night.

When I start in the morning, the front brakes are semi-seized. I have to accelerate a little to unlock them out.

Anyone else having this issue?

I also have this, but only when the brakes are wet when I park. This is due to the fact that the car locks the brakes when parked. Most people do not use their parking brakes, but put the car in park, using the transmission. I have similar problems with my ICE cars if I use the parking brake when they are wet.

For my part, my only complaint is lack of communication. I understand legal land mines here but they need to improve among employees and ownership.

Agree 100%. I don't think it is too much to ask that they disclose what the changes are. Any lawyer worth thier pay ought to be able to construct the language so as to avoid possible land mines. Legally, I beleive they are much better off disclosing - disclosing - disclosing!

I have not seen anything about Smart Air Suspension.

So with these latest changes in the release notes with regards to the now missing smart air suspension and lowering, is this confirmation that they are never going to restore this functionality to us? If that's the case then I want my money back. I paid for a smart air suspension system that lowers at highway speeds and with a low ground clearance level - not this other horse **** whatever they are calling it. I could care less about changing ride height to go up a steep driveway. I want the system that I paid for which is the lowering at highway speeds.

I had the balloon sound about 30% of the time under 4.5. After getting 5.8 (.28) I was pleased to note the balloon whine has not happened. (Granted its been cooler weather so its not a controlled experiment). Am traveling but home this weekend. Will see if it returns with .30

Since .30, I am noticing a new sound when accelerating. Not the usual whine, but more of a bird-whistle sound. Much louder, much more frequent even at mild acceleration. Started just this week, which happens to be when I got .30. Coincidence?

So with these latest changes in the release notes with regards to the now missing smart air suspension and lowering, is this confirmation that they are never going to restore this functionality to us? If that's the case then I want my money back. I paid for a smart air suspension system that lowers at highway speeds and with a low ground clearance level - not this other horse **** whatever they are calling it. I could care less about changing ride height to go up a steep driveway. I want the system that I paid for which is the lowering at highway speeds.

I believe they said they'd (do something about it) in January. I guess we'll see. I had the impression it would come in the form of a user selectable option (ostensibly on or off).

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: It's also my understanding that the "balloon squeal" is a hardware induced issue and is not software related.

I had the balloon sound about 30% of the time under 4.5. After getting 5.8 (.28) I was pleased to note the balloon whine has not happened. (Granted its been cooler weather so its not a controlled experiment). Am traveling but home this weekend. Will see if it returns with .30

I have the < 20kW acceleration whine, at least since 5.6 (though it could have been coincidence). I still have the balloon sound with 5.8, and it's gotten worse.

No one's mentioned this (maybe because most folks have given up on Dolby and keep it off), however it seems that the bass response is more authoritative under 5.8 and the overall sound has more "warmth" to it. That observation is made with Dolby on. I am probably one of the few posters who likes Dolby on. I feel like it adds more "spaciousness" to the sound and provides better stereo seperation. I only listen to music via my USB stick. I use CD and better sampling rates. Give it a try and post your observations.

No one's mentioned this (maybe because most folks have given up on Dolby and keep it off), however it seems that the bass response is more authoritative under 5.8 and the overall sound has more "warmth" to it. That observation is made with Dolby on. I am probably one of the few posters who likes Dolby on. I feel like it adds more "spaciousness" to the sound and provides better stereo seperation. I only listen to music via my USB stick. I use CD and better sampling rates. Give it a try and post your observations.

I've listened with Dolby on and off and honestly can't tell any difference. I suspect that it's the source material more than it is Dolby. If you're using one of the POS streaming services rather than a thumb drive with FLAC or other lossless encoding there's likely no way to get decent sound when listening critically.

Has anyone done a timed 0-60 mph with 5.8? I would bet that it's slightly slower now - probably on the order of 10ths of a second.

Just did in my 60. Can't get better than 7.1 that's quite a difference from 5.9

Anyone else... car seems to have less torque, and eases off at the top of the kw/km output (orange bar) which might be where the lost time is (it never hits the full 320 (or whatever the top is... doing this from memory on my computer)

Just did in my 60. Can't get better than 7.1 that's quite a difference from 5.9

Anyone else... car seems to have less torque, and eases off at the top of the kw/km output (orange bar) which might be where the lost time is (it never hits the full 320 (or whatever the top is... doing this from memory on my computer)
You might want to put some units in this post. On first read I came away wondering if "5.9" was a typo (thinking you meant firmware 5.x where x < 8).

I may be missing something but I thought that an S60 couldn't hit 320KW output. I thought that model was battery limited on output. See this thread for more. Below is a snippet:

Comparison drivetrain power output versus battery power output:
* S60: 285 kW vs
227 kW (battery limited)
* S85: 285 kW vs 320 kW (drivetrain limited)
* P85: 350 kW vs 320 kW (battery limited)

Conclusion:

• S60 is limited by maximum battery discharge rate of 60 kWh battery
  • S85 is limited by maximum power of drivetrain
  • P85 is limited by maximum battery discharge rate of 85 kWh battery

@ACDriveMotor
I'm having trouble reading your phrasing, so in an attempt to clarify...

For your green text, are you suggesting that the left number is the sustained max of drivetrain and then battery, respectively? And then from that one can derive the sustained max for the vehicle is the lower of the two?

If that's the case, are you suggesting the following?

S60
(277,285] kW consumption is "drivetrain sustained, battery in brief peak mode"
(285,infinity) kW consumption is "drivetrain and battery in brief peak mode"

S85
(285,320] kW consumption is "drivetrain sustained, battery in brief peak mode"
(320,infinity) kW consumption is "drivetrain and battery in brief peak mode"

P85
(320,350] kW consumption is "drivetrain sustained, battery in brief peak mode"
(350,infinity) kW consumption is "drivetrain and battery in brief peak mode"

If so, then I tend to agree: a peak that is 12% (drivetrain) and 41% (battery) above the sustained rate is pretty hefty.