Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a good 700 miles on v5.8 I can firmly state I hate the new regen settings. Not only does it take much longer to kick in full regen, but regen also seems to ramp down at certain speeds too.

At first I didn't really notice this because I have always started to depress the accelerator before disengaging Cruise. I played around a bit with it and find I very much like the new settings, especially with winter coming on. A concern of mine has been the potential loss of control if the re-gen comes on too fast in slippery conditions. (I spun out on black ice a few years ago when my RWD ICE downshifted, effectively doing the same thing to the rear wheels that re-gen does).

What is the ambient temperature you are driving in? If it's in the 30's you may have a small power limit that does NOT show up with the dotted yellow line.

The first time I noticed it was the first time I took my foot off the pedal after the upgrade. It was in the low 50s. And I've noticed it every single time since without exception. It's different. Period. And without looking back through the thread for everyone's location, I do remember a report from Phoenix as well. There are too many reports noticing the change at the exact time of upgrade for it to be a coincidence with weather anyway.

I think the regen difference is incredibly subtle and can be easily adapted to. I'm sure many on here like myself only are only aware of the difference after reading about it. (Much like the air suspension height difference)

The first time I noticed it was the first time I took my foot off the pedal after the upgrade. It was in the low 50s. And I've noticed it every single time since without exception. It's different. Period. And without looking back through the thread for everyone's location, I do remember a report from Phoenix as well. There are too many reports noticing the change at the exact time of upgrade for it to be a coincidence with weather anyway.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but with v5.8 the J1772 adapter never unlocks from the vehicle.

Previously, when I unplug the charge point, the J1772 would always just come right out with it.

Now, it stays locked to the car, and the only way to unlock it is to go to the console and manually push the unlock charge port button.

The thing that I don't know what the behavior of this pre-v5.8 if you didn't have your key fob with you. I just assumed that the adapter would always stay locked to the car unless you have the key fob within range.

Regardless of that previous behavior, now the adapter is always locked and only can be unlocked via the console screen. It doesn't matter if you have the key fob within range. The door handles extend so I know the car detects the key fob. Even manually unlocking the car with the key fob doesn't release the adapter. You always have to use the console screen now which I find slightly annoying. I have to unplug the car, open the door, lean in, push the charge point button, then get out and pull the adapter out.

I'd prefer the adapter to stay locked to the car, but it should unlock when I am within range.

As it seems natural the unplug the car first (instead of unlocking from the console screen) I wonder if they made this change so that people would stop leaving their adapters attached to the charging station plug.

Again, this is a behavior that should be configurable in a menu - not Tesla dictating its behavior to us. It's annoying.

Huh? I don't have this issue at all. And I use the J1772 adapter every day to charge. The adapter comes out with the nozzle every time exactly the same as it ever did. I'm on the .22 flavor of 5.8.

The first time I noticed it was the first time I took my foot off the pedal after the upgrade. It was in the low 50s. And I've noticed it every single time since without exception. It's different. Period.

Me too.

I think the regen difference is incredibly subtle and can be easily adapted to. I'm sure many on here like myself only are only aware of the difference after reading about it. (Much like the air suspension height difference)

I'm not hysterical, or a conspiracy kook. However, this is why I'm suspecting that 5.8 is "weird" and is affecting different vehicles differently. I drove my car through subfreezing temps a lot late last Winter. This is NOT temp related. In my car it is NOT a subtle difference. The difference is vast, and I noticed it immediately on the first drive after 5.8 and every subsequent drive. I'm not saying I don't like some facets of it in some situations. But in my car the difference is real, and large.

Me too.

I'm not hysterical, or a conspiracy kook. However, this is why I'm suspecting that 5.8 is "weird" and is affecting different vehicles differently. I drove my car through subfreezing temps a lot late last Winter. This is NOT temp related. In my car it is NOT a subtle difference. The difference is vast, and I noticed it immediately on the first drive after 5.8 and every subsequent drive. I'm not saying I don't like some facets of it in some situations. But in my car the difference is real, and large.

OK, perhaps another poll. But I would call my regen changes since 5.8 "subtle" as well (as opposed to "drastic" or "what change?"). Again, I'm on the .22 variety of 5.8.

@yobigd20, I can't tell any difference with the J1772 adapter situation. I've posted about this before; the only reliable way for me to pull the adapter out is to hold the adapter alone with my left hand while holding the charger plug with my right and pulling both out together. Works every time. If I unplug the charger first, the adapter stays locked in even if the car's unlocked. The only recourse then is to unlock the chargeport via the touchscreen or the mobile app; frustrating that way. I've had this behavior from day one (firmware 4.1) and it's the same with 5.8.

I didn't read this whole thread, but I did some Ctrl-F work and didn't find mention to two things I really like with 5.8.

The auto bright/dim on the 17" display is wonderful. I now don't have black displays at dawn and dusk due to my 0% brightness night setting. Tesla thank you so much. Next step is have a 100% brightness 'night' option for day, and just dim the brightness for night.

The second thing which is wonderful is that text message notifications now break into my music with the alert. With my Windows Phone it asks if I want it read, and voice commands go to the phone. And I can reply with voice to text as well. This is so wonderful.

Last edited:

I am one of those who didn't notice the re-gen changes at first. I tend to drive a lot on the freeway where there isn't a lot of start/stop and when I use Cruise, I always start depressing the accelerator when I disengage it to prevent the "jerking". After reading the concerns here, I did some playing around, and yes, I can see the difference. I like it. It doesn't "slam" in to full re-gen if you drop the decelerator like it used to, but I still get the full 60 kW. As you say, it is not temperature related. It is different even in warmer temps with a fully warmed up battery. There are, of course, times when re-gen is limited due to temperature, but that is a different subject. I'm not sure I characterize the change as "large", but it is real and I very much like the change.

I have seen a number of people using comments such as "absolutely no change" to describe what some people are experiencing.
I am one of those that loves the new regen. However, I do notice a change, it just isn't the drastic one some are seeing.

Temps in my are have been in the 30s to 40s. Driving both a 85kW and 60kW although the 85 gets driven most often.

Overall stopping distance has not changed and the immediate 'Break checking' is gone, replaced with a much smoother start to regenerative braking. This has been tested once the car is warmed up and regenerative braking is fully enabled.
Prior to that, regenerative breaking is limited as it normally is in cold temps.

My wife, who also drives both cars, has not noticed any differences whatsoever.
While the initial smoother behavior is subtle, I believe if the overall slowing distance were changed, she would notice as we both love the one pedal driving.

I will repeat my earlier question. Has anyone experiencing a reduction in regen power reported it?

I will repeat my earlier question. Has anyone experiencing a reduction in regen power reported it?

My short answer is no. I feel that the total regen achieved (certainly not scientific) is the same. However, while I like certain aspects of the new regen in particular the lack of rapid decel when the cruise is turned off; one pedal driving while certainly possible due to the laws of physics, is not practical anymore on level terrain. Specifically, if you want to come to a full stop at a stop sign on level terrain the point at which you have to begin your slowdown is way too early to be practical in traffic. You have to start your slowdown later and eventually use the brakes to come to a full stop. Certainly not earth shattering, but I don't like it.

I noticed the regen changes immediately as well. If I hadn't gotten used to the way the car drives in the last few months, it wouldn't be a big deal. I had my timings and pedal play all figured out and the next day everything is off. Slightly less annoying is the accelerator pedal change. I liked the harsh acceleration versus the more gradual pedal now. I enjoyed not having to mash the pedal to get full torque when needed.

What bugs me the most though is how it was done. They changed the way my car drives overnight and I personally don't like that. Had we been given a choice or even a heads up as to why, I would be more forgiving.

Slightly less annoying is the accelerator pedal change. I liked the harsh acceleration versus the more gradual pedal now. I enjoyed not having to mash the pedal to get full torque when needed.

I don't love this either. I'd like the old "curve" back. Maybe another user selectable setting? I'm hoping we get it back somehow anyway. I've suspended test drives until we maybe get it back. I think it takes away one of the most impressive abilities of the car. When not demoing this ability I never had any problem accelerating smoothly on my own. I feel I'm using more energy to get up to speed and not any less to keep it there.

Odd. I haven't noticed any significant change to stopping distance on regen, except for the fractional second of feathering when you drop cruise control. As long as the pack is toasty I get the full 60 kW of regen. However the cold definitely is significantly affecting stopping distance - just as it did last year.

That's why I'm wondering if there is some confusion between the very subtle change with the update and the not-at-all subtle change in regen caused by comd weather.

Sometimes it's zero, sometimes it's one, and sometimes I forget to look. I'm parked in an underground garage so I doubt the temperature fluctuates more than 1 or 2 C. What I assume happens is that on waking the system does a fresh estimation of the SOC and displays a new number. Measuring a battery's SOC has more to do with art than it does with science.

Interesting... I haven't compared religiously, but I don't think I've ever noticed the car gain estimated range after I've had it parked at work after the drive in...

I am quite unhappy with the new regen behavior. No more single pedal driving.
Yes, I get 60kW, but it feels nowhere near to what it did with 4.5. I drive the same commute every day. This is frustratingly different. I have to hit the breaks All. The. Time.
I dislike the fact that they took one of the things that I enjoyed the most about my car away from me. And there is no recourse.
That's not what I had in mind when I heard that I'd get upgrades over time. :-(
Not happy.
I agree, and used to enjoy one pedal driving(can't do it with 5.8). An upgrade to one may mean a downgrade to others, just like one man's junk is another man's treasure.