Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone posted earlier that Tesla HQ told them that no changes had been made to Regen profile. There are also folks who say they don't feel any difference and others who say it now makes the car undriveable. Quite a spread of opinions there… Wouldn't it be funny if they hadn't done anything to the Regen or the Accelerator Curve and this is all just mass hysteria? :redface:

Is there anything we actually KNOW they changed? Besides the fact that the "Low" setting has been disabled and cars with Gas Shocks have been raised 5/16"? Is there anything from Tesla confirming they did anything to the regen or the acceleration curve?

Wouldn't it be funny if they hadn't done anything to the Regen or the Accelerator Curve and this is all just mass hysteria?

Let me just put it out there that I observed a noticeable difference before we began discussing the issue here on TMC. Therefore, it is not something that I was even concentrating on or thinking of when I first drove 5.8. This reduces the odds of it being "mass hysteria" at least in my case.

Let me just put it out there that I observed a noticeable difference before we began discussing the issue here on TMC. Therefore, it is not something that I was even concentrating on or thinking of when I first drove 5.8. This reduces the odds of it being "mass hysteria" at least in my case.

I felt it too. I remember wondering if something had changed as well. Then I came in here and of course read all the other testimonials. Still… unless that guy is lying, Tesla did tell him that they made no changes to Regen. That's why I keep asking if we actually KNOW anything or if this is all just anecdotal at this point.

Perhaps they are doing some A/B testing. Some of the cars have a change and some do not. Tesla monitors the telemetry, and perhaps these forums too!

For the record, I don't notice any change in regen behavior--30F to 40F here. I do see for the first time the yellow regen limited line when at a 90% charge at 40F. Previously the only time I saw that bar was after a 100% range charge.

A/B testing is a very interesting thought woof. That might be. Change some, see who notices/complains. Monitor energy graph telemetry. Interesting idea. Can anyone who does notice a regen change provide a qualitative assessment of how the new regen compares to the old LOW regen setting? I started driving today (on 5.6) with regen set to LOW to see how it feels. I am trying hard to overcome my anxiety over the changes in 5.8. I don't hate LOW, though I do find I have to use the brake now. It makes the MS feel like an ICE car. It is definitely not a deal-breaker. Its just an odd feeling after getting used to the aggressive regen. I didn't buy my car for range or the race track so neither the suspension or regen changes bug me overly much. My remaining mental hurdle are acceleration changes. I don't want to give up the angry brute force of the P if I don't have to :) Someone make me feel better that the grin will still be there, please.

In any case if we all felt (or better knew) that these changes were necessary to extend the life of our battery and drive-trains we would probably say that is a good thing right?

- - - Updated - - -

Just read here that you can get your Inch back at 87 MPH. Hope that helps.
Tesla CEO expects feds to clear Model S in fires - Yahoo Finance

Well that is an interesting article but both 50 MPH and (based on reports here) 87 MPH seem to be incorrect figures. My car on 5.6 lowers above 60 (perhaps 62?) MPH. The values are in the manual. Several people on the forums have reported that with 5.8 the car lowers at 96.2 (I think) MPH.

Umm... creep should only affect it at low speed (<5 mph). I think most of us here are talking about regen while exiting a freeway at speeds greater than 60 mph. At least this is when I find it most noticeable.

I know what creep is. I'm just trying to put out hypotheses for the large variances in regen experience post 5.8. Perhaps some seemingly unrelated settings are causing the regen to behave differently.

And as for A/B testing. As I posted previously, I have the .22 variant of 5.8. I see others have a .24 variant. Anyone figure out the reason? I saw speculation it had to do with air vs. std suspension or 60 vs. 85. But haven't seen anything definitive. But there definitely are 2 variants out there and they haven't pushing .24 to me yet.

Last edited:
. My remaining mental hurdle are acceleration changes. I don't want to give up the angry brute force of the P if I don't have to :) Someone make me feel better that the grin will still be there, please.
It's all still there if you punch it. You just have to push the pedal further for the same result. Basically, they gave the pedal more room to get an easy pull off the line rather than having to be very touchy and intentionally trying to not fly off the line.

i was still getting 0-60 in about 4.3 yesterday :biggrin:

I am on .22 and have regen changes.

It's all still there if you punch it. You just have to push the pedal further for the same result. Basically, they gave the pedal more room to get an easy pull off the line rather than having to be very touchy and intentionally trying to not fly off the line.

It's very odd that they would rollback the "improvement" originally brought to us in 4.0. Your post basically reads the exact opposite of these lines from the 4.0 release notes:

Throttle Response - Advancements in powertrain control now provide you an improved throttle response. These improvements simultaneously deliver torque even more rapidly than before while minimizing any harshness to the acceleration of your vehicle. Whether in stop and go traffic or overtaking on the highway, your Model S now has a smoother, crisper pedal feel for an even more enjoyable drive.

OK, that's good to hear. So no sense that they are limiting or ramping the torque? Would you say that it feel like they changed the sensitivity of the go pedal so you have more control on start-up even if you don't have fine foot control? I have no issues with gentle start-up but get that not everyone is the same. As long as all the torque and accel are still there its all good.

OK, that's good to hear. So no sense that they are limiting or ramping the torque? Would you say that it feel like they changed the sensitivity of the go pedal so you have more control on start-up even if you don't have fine foot control? I have no issues with gentle start-up but get that not everyone is the same. As long as all the torque and accel are still there its all good.
Yeah... I'd say exactly that. I have more ability to put in low acceleration inputs, but if I want more, it's there, just farther down.... Just ask the guy who tried to box me in today by accelerating to maintain his spot next to me.... Or the motorcycle that couldn't keep up with me off the line (and I didn't even fully floor it). According to my wife, who was behind us in the ford focus, he was hunching over to do anything to reduce drag. He gave me a big thumbs up and a smile afterwards though.

Apache guy, yeah, I dunno. I think all that is there, it's just further into the pedal push now. That statement itself almost contradicts itself "torque more rapidly while minimizing harsh acceleration". My car was 4.5 when I got it in June.

I will add that I don't really feel that I needed the acceleration to have been changed, but it probably makes it easier for others. It is less likely to surprise someone who isn't expecting it. Now you definitely have to intend to accelerate fast, there will be less unintentional jumping the line. I'll learn to just press the pedal a little more.

I'm sure also this is where a lot of the wh/mi is likely to be made up. A minimal press now will use way less energy to get up to speed. If people have maintained a minimal press that they used before, they will see less wh/mi and feel like the car is accelerating less.

Last edited:
I'm sure also this is where a lot of the wh/mi is likely to be made up. A minimal press now will use way less energy to get up to speed. If people have maintained a minimal press that they used before, they will see less wh/mi and feel like the car is accelerating less.

This is exactly the opposite of what I'm experiencing. My car needs more energy to get up to speed. This is with actual driving on the same stretch of road I've been driving on for 20 years. Granted, only 7k on the MS. However, I'm all about the energy game and it is clearly taking more power output from the motor to get me up to speed in the same distance. I have NOT seen a reduction in wH/mi. Though to be fair, mine has always been relatively low.

These two changes (accel, and regen) are real at least in my car after 5.8/.24. I'm not whining and I still love my car and can't wait to drive it. I DO however want the old accel, regen, AND suspension lowering back. I really hope that eventually we're given all 3 back as an optional UI setting.

ll add that I don't really feel that I needed the acceleration to have been changed, but it probably makes it easier for others. It is less likely to surprise someone who isn't expecting it. Now you definitely have to intend to accelerate fast, there will be less unintentional jumping the line.

One of the things I really like about the Model S is that it never jumps off the line or over-accelerates. Before I purchased I was worried about that--having driven other high powered cars that were a handful in the parking lot--but the GetAmped tour convinced me that it wouldn't be a problem, and it hasn't been. (Still of 5.6).

Ditto--and I posted about it in the 5.6 thread before the 5.8 thread even existed.

- - - Updated - - -

i wonder if there is a correlation to the different regen feelings with different creep settings. for reference, i have creep on and feel a subtle change in the regen profile.

I've also never used creep.

I wish I could comment about all the changes from 4.5 to 5.8, but since upgrading last Saturday my car has bed at the SC. Apparently the upgrade cause some problems that they have not been able to fix.

Sorry to hear that. What specifically happened? Was it update related? Or, specific to 5.8?

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps the regeneration and throttle haven't change overall but the mapping of the throttle has, leading to both behaving slightly differently when the pedal is first pressed/released?

If this is true it's more likely true with the regen in my observations. As far as the throttle goes; it is clearly taking me more energy to get up to speed from a stop and is NOT taking less to keep it there. It is also clearly showing up in my energy usage. Not huge, and I'm not freaking out. However, every time I drive now it confirms my results.

The car keeps given them error messages. So far they have replaced the door controllers, but have no idea why the car is misbehaving (constant error messages). I have a loaner (with 5.6) but I would like to get my car soon. By the way, the staff in the Columbus SC has been great.

Prior to the update, the car was absolutely great.