Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car keeps given them error messages. So far they have replaced the door controllers, but have no idea why the car is misbehaving (constant error messages). I have a loaner (with 5.6) but I would like to get my car soon. By the way, the staff in the Columbus SC has been great.

Prior to the update, the car was absolutely great.

Please let us know when it's fixed and what they found. Hope it's soon. Yes, the Columbus SC staff is fantastic.

Not trying to stir the pot but it IS interesting that a lot of loaners are still on 5.6. Coincidence?

OK, let's connect some dots. NHTSA complaints re MS (that I know of):
1) Rear tire wear.
2) 2 road debris incidents
3) a single "unintended acceleration" incident (which everyone knows is usually a driver too proud to admit he/she mashed the wrong pedal)
Release 5.8:
* Revisions to suspension settings addresses 1 and 2 above
* Revisions to acceleration mapping addresses 3
If you are going to have a release intended (among other things) to mitigate an inquiry, you would address all outstanding complaints.

Not sure why the regen change, probably learnings about battery maintenance.

Regen plays a role in rear tire wear.

Doubt that's a coincidence. Loaners are also demo cars and the sales folk need to be able to demonstrate the air suspension. I take it as further affirmation that air suspension is coming back.

Well yes air suspension is coming back. We all know this. Nobody's denying that, not even Tesla. The question at hand is whether or not they'll give us back that 5/16" or whatever the ground clearance increase change was.

Kinda the guess I was making. If those with creep on feel subtle regen changes vs. those with creep off are feeling drastic regen changes. just trying to figure out why such differences in perception.

Perhaps those without creep drive in a less automated manner, that is they drive to take advantage of the control the car gives them so they're more likely to notice small changes compared to those who don't pay that much attention. A seemingly small change (on paper) can seem very large when you're really in-tune with the car. As an example, I could always tell, in the Prius, if the tires were down one or two psi. (I'm not quite there yet with the Model S.)

Kinda the guess I was making. If those with creep on feel subtle regen changes vs. those with creep off are feeling drastic regen changes. just trying to figure out why such differences in perception.

Nice hypothesis but I don't think so.
I run with creep off and have noticed a subtle difference in the start of regeneration but no overall effect.
Unfortunately I can't test this too often anymore as much of the time I don't have full regen power due to temp. I do test it every time I drive far enough though.

I love the A/B idea....because of the great can of logic worms, flow chart possibilities, and psychological profile implications that ensue.

Take just this thread, for instance: I've read every single post, and it has nicely afforded me the ability to categorize any number of posters into whiner/complainers, analytical "let's perform experiments to confirm/debunk that" types, aggressive & conservative drivers, metric vs imperial fanatics, discussers vs non-discussers, observant vs non-observant kinds....

...so now overlay an A/B version of updates...what fun.....

:)

These two changes (accel, and regen) are real at least in my car after 5.8/.24. I'm not whining and I still love my car and can't wait to drive it. I DO however want the old accel, regen, AND suspension lowering back. I really hope that eventually we're given all 3 back as an optional UI setting.

Big +1. Some people like it, others don't so let's just make it an option. That's exactly why they made sleep mode optional in 5.6 and I would expect them to do the same for settings that change the performance of our car.

I spoke with ownership yesterday about the air suspension height and regen settings. These rep has no knowledge outside of the release notes so he put requests in with the engineering teams to answer my questions. I just got off the phone with him today about 5 minutes ago with the responses back from the engineering teams.

Their responses were:

1) regen settings have NOT been changed at all between 4.5 and 5.8. They said IF we think something had changed it probably cold weather related.

2) they had no knowledge of ANY speed that would switch the cat to low height air suspension. It should be completely disabled until a new version release in January.

Obviously they are wrong about #2 since we verified it lowers at 96.5 mph. If they are wrong about #2, I seriously have doubts about #1. Plus we know their internal technical knowledge distribution sucks between groups. But with an inquiry directly to their engineering team that doesn't know about #2... Seriously? I mean I guess that's not surprising either if they can't even roll out a web site update without screwing the entire site up for most of the day like they did yesterday. (I posted pics of that in a different thread, confirmed by others). Plus each car software update came with its new features as well as new "bugs." (They're QA team SUCKS...that's assuming they even have one, hah for all we know the developers that write the code are the ones doing the integration testings too, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here). ALSO their internal anonymous software engineer employee reviews on glassdoor.com aren't very good either.

Put all of that together and it describes an immature and inexperienced software team. As Tesla itself is young, all of this is not very surprising and honestly a little expected. They will mature and improve with experience and the right technical management (aka as long as they don't promote to team leaders from within just for the hell of it when it's not deserved and the person doesn't have the technical know-how for the role, then they will succeed). They nailed most of the non-programming aspect of this car down which is probably where 99% of their focus was...they just have a little more work to do on the software side of the world.

Don't get me wrong. This car is still phenomenal , not perfect, but still phenomenal and loving it. They still have my trust and belief...as long as they give us control of suspension height and transitions to low back in January that is :)

I've also contacted Ownership about the revised acceleration profile. I was told in no uncertain terms that no changes were made to the acceleration profile and that the only change was to the air suspension auto-lowering feature.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a possibility that Version 5.8 FIXED the GPS issue where your car's position is not reflected accurately on the Map? Mine has been working perfectly ever since… Fingers crossed… that was really the only thing wrong with mine. :)

I received my car about a month ago. It came with 5.6 preloaded. I've never had any problem with GPS location issues. So I'm guessing that 5.6 fixed that issue, not 5.8.

- - - Updated - - -

It's all still there if you punch it. You just have to push the pedal further for the same result. Basically, they gave the pedal more room to get an easy pull off the line rather than having to be very touchy and intentionally trying to not fly off the line.

i was still getting 0-60 in about 4.3 yesterday :biggrin:

I am on .22 and have regen changes.

I asked Ownership about the acceleration changes, and they replied that no changes were made to acceleration.

So I finally had some time to "troubleshoot". I think I see why there is so many different opinions on regen and accelerator differences.

My regen was set to standard, as it always has been, but was functioning as low. I had tried to simply toggle the feature, but it appears a reboot or two is required to get standard regen back. After a couple reboots, my toggle now works and my regen is performing as it did before.

Along those same lines, I hit the toggle for driving mode and creep and did a reboot. To me, my throttle seems to be back to normal as well.

In conclusion, it appears there is a flaw in the current upgrade methods. Even though the screen is showing the selection we want, it is in fact not actually selected. In addition, on my vehicle in particular, a reboot was needed for many selections to actually function.

Hope this helps some who were having my same problems.

So I finally had some time to "troubleshoot". I think I see why there is so many different opinions on regen and accelerator differences.

My regen was set to standard, as it always has been, but was functioning as low. I had tried to simply toggle the feature, but it appears a reboot or two is required to get standard regen back. After a couple reboots, my toggle now works and my regen is performing as it did before.

Along those same lines, I hit the toggle for driving mode and creep and did a reboot. To me, my throttle seems to be back to normal as well.

In conclusion, it appears there is a flaw in the current upgrade methods. Even though the screen is showing the selection we want, it is in fact not actually selected. In addition, on my vehicle in particular, a reboot was needed for many selections to actually function.

That's great news. Thanks for the investigative results. Now if a couple of others can confirm this is the case, we'll be all set.

Here are the release notes for 5.8:

Version 5.8 (v1.49.22)

15 Nov, 2013 (1.49.22)
17 Nov, 2013 (1.49.24)

Windshield wiper replacement mode
Tire pressure monitor reset capability

Raises air suspension ride heights in all modes by 5/16"
Deletes automatic lowering of air suspension at high speed under ~100mph

Doesn't say anything at all about changing the Regen or Acceleration profiles… For what it's worth I just tried Toggling my options and rebooting. We'll see if it makes any difference.

Fascinating!
That would explain the large discrepancy. Thanks for digging into it!

I like the change in the accelerator mapping. I prefer to limit acceleration to 60 kW (1C discharge rate) to prolong battery life. On 4.5 this required constant adjustment of the accelerator position as speed increased, and paying way to much attention to the power meter. Now, under 5.8, I can push the accelerator down until it reaches 60 kW, and then just keep my foot steady - it will stay at 60 kW as speed increases.

Oh wow. This has happened in the past too. I swear at one point my traction control was off even though the UI said it was on. A couple of button flips and reboots and I finally had traction control. Will have to try with the regen....