Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, so there was a reported associated wh/mi improvement with 5.8. Does this now go back to what it used to be after the reset?

i.e. Does this really just confirm the argument that you get an improved wh/mi with regen set to "Low"? Others have also long ago made the argument that "Low" regen is better for mileage.

Does this really just confirm the argument that you get an improved wh/mi with regen set to "Low"? Others have also long ago made the argument that "Low" regen is better for mileage.

The setting itself doesn't matter, as long as you feather the pedal when disengaging cruise control. City driving, stronger regen is likely better, because the likelihood of a quick stop is larger--and low regen doesn't provide maximum regen braking force. I haven't noticed significant changes in energy consumption with 5.8...my regen/driving style has been consistent from 4.5 to 5.8.

So I finally had some time to "troubleshoot". I think I see why there is so many different opinions on regen and accelerator differences.

My regen was set to standard, as it always has been, but was functioning as low. I had tried to simply toggle the feature, but it appears a reboot or two is required to get standard regen back. After a couple reboots, my toggle now works and my regen is performing as it did before.

Along those same lines, I hit the toggle for driving mode and creep and did a reboot. To me, my throttle seems to be back to normal as well.

In conclusion, it appears there is a flaw in the current upgrade methods. Even though the screen is showing the selection we want, it is in fact not actually selected. In addition, on my vehicle in particular, a reboot was needed for many selections to actually function.

Hope this helps some who were having my same problems.

Here are the release notes for 5.8:

Doesn't say anything at all about changing the Regen or Acceleration profiles… For what it's worth I just tried Toggling my options and rebooting. We'll see if it makes any difference. [/COLOR]

Holy cow! That was it! My stiffer Sport steering and stronger Standard Regen appear to be back :)

What a lame bug though...

Well holy crap… It seems to have fixed it for me too. I toggled the settings for Regen and rebooted, then I toggled the settings for Steering and Creep and rebooted. My Regen and Sport Steering are back the way they were. Can't tell yet if my acceleration has returned to normal.

But get this guys… this is HUGE if it's true…

I *may* have found a work around for the "no low at freeway speeds setting". In a nutshell, I set my Shocks to "LOW" just before I pulled onto the Freeway and it STUCK! It stayed in Low the whole time I was on the freeway. It stayed in Low until I turned off the vehicle control screen. I can confirm that it showed the Shocks lowering on the screen and it stayed in low until I turned off the Controls Screen. So the work around "may" be to put it in Low just before you get on the freeway and leave the screen up until you get off the freeway. Unfortunately, I can't confirm if it was actually in Low mode because I was alone in the car. I'll bring my kid with me next time or hopefully one of you can confirm that it's working. If so, we can all stop bitching. There's a backdoor… ;) I just hope I didn't blow it by posting it here and they remove it… :D

Last edited:
So I finally had some time to "troubleshoot". I think I see why there is so many different opinions on regen and accelerator differences.

My regen was set to standard, as it always has been, but was functioning as low. I had tried to simply toggle the feature, but it appears a reboot or two is required to get standard regen back. After a couple reboots, my toggle now works and my regen is performing as it did before.

Along those same lines, I hit the toggle for driving mode and creep and did a reboot. To me, my throttle seems to be back to normal as well.

In conclusion, it appears there is a flaw in the current upgrade methods. Even though the screen is showing the selection we want, it is in fact not actually selected. In addition, on my vehicle in particular, a reboot was needed for many selections to actually function.

Hope this helps some who were having my same problems.

Interesting! Was this a center console or left console reboot? Or both? That would make me much happier. And wouldn't it be interesting if the LOW setting had the same issue. That 5.8 changed the default height of LOW to a higher value but still allowed for some lowering at speed.

Interesting! Was this a center console or left console reboot? Or both? That would make me much happier. And wouldn't it be interesting if the LOW setting had the same issue. That 5.8 changed the default height of LOW to a higher value but still allowed for some lowering at speed.

Well holy crap… It seems to have fixed it for me too. I toggled the settings for Regen and rebooted, then I toggled the settings for Steering and Creep and rebooted. My Regen and Sport Steering are back the way they were. Can't tell yet if my acceleration has returned to normal.

But get this guys… this is HUGE if it's true…

I *may* have found a work around for the "no low at freeway speeds setting". In a nutshell, I set my Shocks to "LOW" just before I pulled onto the Freeway and it STUCK! It stayed in Low the whole time I was on the freeway. It stayed in Low until I turned off the vehicle control screen. I can confirm that it showed the Shocks lowering on the screen and it stayed in low until I turned off the Controls Screen. So the work around "may" be to put it in Low just before you get on the freeway and leave the screen up until you get off the freeway. Unfortunately, I can't confirm if it was actually in Low mode because I was alone in the car. I'll bring my kid with me next time or hopefully one of you can confirm that it's working. If so, we can all stop bitching. There's a backdoor… ;) I just hope I didn't blow it by posting it here and they remove it… :D

I held both Scroll Wheels down until it rebooted. I rebooted once after toggling the Regen and again after toggling the Steering and Creep modes. Both my Regen and Steering are back to normal! Also, did you see my post above? There "may" be a work around for the "no low at freeway speeds". It appears to work but I need to verify that it actually lowers the car and not just lowers the car on the little screen. It sure felt like it lowered… If true, how cool would that be? :)

Well this makes some sense then since TMC stated that there should be no changes in these areas. I have no problem with a reboot to correct these things. I am much more likely to upgrade to 5.8 with this news. Though having driven with LOW regen on for the last day to get used to it I have to say that my energy graph was lower. I think that having to brake to stop was causing me to be more cautious with acceleration. There may be something to LOW regen causing lower WH/mi.

Just read here that you can get your Inch back at 87 MPH. Hope that helps.
Tesla CEO expects feds to clear Model S in fires - Yahoo Finance
This is incorrect. I posted a video in the other thread with speeds up to 95 mph and no sign of autolowering.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't it be funny if they hadn't done anything to the Regen or the Accelerator Curve and this is all just mass hysteria? :redface:
Funny isn't the word I would choose. And yes, that had been my working theory.

Wouldn't it be funny if they hadn't done anything to the Regen or the Accelerator Curve and this is all just mass hysteria? :redface:
Nope, it is not. For those of us are (were) affected, this was very real. And rebooting the screens does bring it back to where it was.
Trust me, @brianman. It was very noticeable. This was not something I imagined. I literally drove the same loop twice. Once before the reboot and once after. Significant​ difference.

Summary: if you have the regen problem in 5.8, reboot your screens and try again.

This is incorrect. I posted a video in the other thread with speeds up to 95 mph and no sign of autolowering.

- - - Updated - - -

Just glad to get at least this one part of the controversy straightened out. We can now take Regen and Steering off the list. If my work around on the low setting at freeway speeds works for everyone then we'll be all set. I'm hoping some other folks can confirm…

Just glad to get at least this one part of the controversy straightened out. We can now take Regen and Steering off the list. If my work around on the low setting at freeway speeds works for everyone then we'll be all set. I'm hoping some other folks can confirm…

Took a quick drive and tried this. While the toggle does stay in low, I don't believe it is actually in low. At high speeds I can tell the difference when changing lanes. In addition, if you close the control screen and bring it back up, the suspension is in the standard setting.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems to me that Tesla should recommend a reboot of both screens after every update. I was part of the group that was upset about the driving changes made. I called and emailed support and no one mentioned or even hinted at trying a possible reboot and toggle of the options. I know I will make it part of my post update routine now.

So you are going by feel? I think I'd feel more confident if somebody did it by sight. I could swear it was in Low mode when I tried it and I felt the car lower when I put it in Low mode on the on Ramp. I'll see if I can get my kid in the car with a Video Camera tomorrow and see if the car actually lowers and then raises again. My theory is that it stays in Low mode as long as you don't switch out of the on screen display.

It seems to me that Tesla should recommend a reboot of both screens after every update. I was part of the group that was upset about the driving changes made. I called and emailed support and no one mentioned or even hinted at trying a possible reboot and toggle of the options. I know I will make it part of my post update routine now.

Or better yet, why don't they just force an entire system reboot after every update? This should help clear the vast majority of glitches.

So you are going by feel? I think I'd feel more confident if somebody did it by sight. I could swear it was in Low mode when I tried it and I felt the car lower when I put it in Low mode on the on Ramp. I'll see if I can get my kid in the car with a Video Camera tomorrow and see if the car actually lowers and then raises again. My theory is that it stays in Low mode as long as you don't switch out of the on screen display.

Yes, I was going by feel. I agree, would be better to have visual confirmation.

- - - Updated - - -

Or better yet, why don't they just force an entire system reboot after every update? This should help clear the vast majority of glitches.

Agreed. I've watched the update process before and both screens do reboot during the process. It seems they need to add one final reboot and possibly do a wipe cache so the settings rebuild.

Yes, I was going by feel. I agree, would be better to have visual confirmation.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I've watched the update process before and both screens do reboot during the process. It seems they need to add one final reboot and possibly do a wipe cache so the settings rebuild.

I also think a final reboot should be done after each update. Personably, I do one every time. Should be automatic. Better safe than sorry.