Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick search didn't turn up anyone mentioning a new quirk I found in 5.8, although it may have been in 5.6 and I didn't discover it. When washing the windshield, the car will spray and wipe for the duration of you holding the button in. Then a few seconds later it will perform one more courtesy wipe without your input. I much appreciate this behavior, as one more wipe always seems necessary.

It did that in 4.5, and possibly earlier.

New characteristic I don't recall being mentioned:

Used to to have to unlock the car to allow the charge port to be opened. Now, even if the car is in sleep mode, the charge port opens just by pressing the button on the HPWC and it's no longer necessary to have the key in proximity.

I don't think you ever needed to keep the key fob near by to unlock the charge port. The opening is based on a radio frequency signal. Its the same signal for all vehicles. Just go to a service center, pick up any UMC cable thats plugged into the wall, click the button, and watch every single car around pop their charge ports open.

How does the behavior of clicking the HPWC button impact the likelood of a UMC being stolen? Or do we know that the HPWC and UMC buttons behave the same?

I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that the locking behavior of the HPWC connector would be the same with a UMC. If I were out and about with a UMC and it could be removed from a locked car, that would invite theft.

For what it's worth, I use a UMC in my garage and found this morning that even with the fob in my pocked, I could not remove the connector until the car was unlocked. Pressing the UMC button would stop the flow of current, but it wouldn't unlatch from the car. I'm on 5.8. Fears allayed!

I don't think you ever needed to keep the key fob near by to unlock the charge port.

I can guarantee that you did. My nightly chore is to let the dogs out then go to the garage and make sure the cars are plugged in, can't tell you how many times I forgot to take the Model S key with me and the charge port door wouldn't open.

P.S. on a related topic: I'll repeat for anyone worried - the connector remains locked in if the car is locked. No-one can steal your UMC without your key fob.

It sounds like a miscommunication. Yobigd20 means that to open the charge port door you don't need the key, I don't believe that he means that you can remove the charge cable. I have found that the J1772 connector is not the same, as I can walk up to someones car, remove the J1772 plug, and a few seconds later the adapter unlocks and can be removed also...

Peter

I can guarantee that you did. My nightly chore is to let the dogs out then go to the garage and make sure the cars are plugged in, can't tell you how many times I forgot to take the Model S key with me and the charge port door wouldn't open.

P.S. on a related topic: I'll repeat for anyone worried - the connector remains locked in if the car is locked. No-one can steal your UMC without your key fob.

I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that the locking behavior of the HPWC connector would be the same with a UMC. If I were out and about with a UMC and it could be removed from a locked car, that would invite theft.

For what it's worth, I use a UMC in my garage and found this morning that even with the fob in my pocked, I could not remove the connector until the car was unlocked. Pressing the UMC button would stop the flow of current, but it wouldn't unlatch from the car. I'm on 5.8. Fears allayed!
I've had the same experience.

A very minor thing that I noticed today (this was probably the case with 5.6 too): the moment you put the car in drive, the car disconnects from WiFi and switches to 3G. And, the moment you put the car in park, WiFi comes on again. Probably saves some power by turning WiFi off while on the move?!

A very minor thing that I noticed today (this was probably the case with 5.6 too): the moment you put the car in drive, the car disconnects from WiFi and switches to 3G. And, the moment you put the car in park, WiFi comes on again. Probably saves some power by turning WiFi off while on the move?!

The power draw is totally negligible compared to the 15,000 watts just to move the car at moderate highway speeds.

From what I've seen, the WiFi fades as I back out of the garage, and then 3G pops up.

The power draw is totally negligible compared to the 15,000 watts just to move the car at moderate highway speeds.

From what I've seen, the WiFi fades as I back out of the garage, and then 3G pops up.

About the power draw, yeah, it's peanuts, I guess.

Strange but, the car was standing still in the garage and I toggled from P to D to P to D and saw the icon switch between WiFi and 3G instantaneously. (I back into the garage so, don't put it in R in the mornings)

That would not be minor! Alternative to 3G data plan will be to tether via wifi and use your phone's data plan. Hope that works! Any testers out there?

A quick search didn't turn up anyone mentioning a new quirk I found in 5.8, although it may have been in 5.6 and I didn't discover it. When washing the windshield, the car will spray and wipe for the duration of you holding the button in. Then a few seconds later it will perform one more courtesy wipe without your input. I much appreciate this behavior, as one more wipe always seems necessary.
I'm pretty sure I saw this in <= 4.5 but I'm not certain.

I too miss the jolt.

I don't drive to 60 much and i want my responsiveness back! It's smooth as hell now, but no fun!

I would say to write to ownership. I can see reasons to have it both ways. My own email is going to suggest that we make the responsiveness an option.

I notice that the SLEEP behavior in 5.8 is different than 5.6. It is more aggressive. On 5.6 I never saw the T on the driver console as it woke up. And I never had huge delays with the mobile app. Now my car seems to be sleeping more deeply and more often. On 5.6 I didn't notice any significant vampire losses, but my car is in parking garages most of the time so temperatures are very moderate. I am experimenting today with Energy Saver mode off to see what the losses are for me. I think I'd like to see a tri-state option: Off (like today's Off), Moderate (5.6 flavor of energy saver), High (5.8 flavor). That seems like it should better span the range of interests.

About the power draw, yeah, it's peanuts, I guess.

Strange but, the car was standing still in the garage and I toggled from P to D to P to D and saw the icon switch between WiFi and 3G instantaneously. (I back into the garage so, don't put it in R in the mornings)

Yes I back out of my garage. I don't back in due to the location of my power plug, and a tire rack on the back wall that would make trunk access difficult.

Next time I'll put it into Drive first (but not move!) and see if it goes to 3G.

That would not be minor! Alternative to 3G data plan will be to tether via wifi and use your phone's data plan. Hope that works! Any testers out there?

Put the car in drive and it does indeed switch to 3G. However, if your phone/hotspot is already set up a tap of the antenna icon gets you connected and you stay connected until after the car goes from Park to Drive again.

I'd assume that this will change if you don't have a 3G contract when/if connectivity plans appear.

Put the car in drive and it does indeed switch to 3G. However, if your phone/hotspot is already set up a tap of the antenna icon gets you connected and you stay connected until after the car goes from Park to Drive again.

I'd assume that this will change if you don't have a 3G contract when/if connectivity plans appear.

I noticed this too when using a hotspot, this would be somewhat annoying. I almost want to be able to totally disable the 3G so I cause the hotspot exclusively at some point. It's much faster than the 3G.

Had a funny glitch today with 5.8. The car was preheating. I went outside to load the trunk. The trunk lights didn't come on. Couldn't see what I was doing.

Then we got in and drove off. The dome lights didn't go out. I opened the control panel screen and it was showing the dome lights in ON mode. Weird. So I switched them back to Auto. They stayed on. Weirder.

So I rebooted. Everything went back to normal.

Had a funny glitch today with 5.8. The car was preheating. I went outside to load the trunk. The trunk lights didn't come on. Couldn't see what I was doing.

Then we got in and drove off. The dome lights didn't go out. I opened the control panel screen and it was showing the dome lights in ON mode. Weird. So I switched them back to Auto. They stayed on. Weirder.

So I rebooted. Everything went back to normal.
We've been telling these jokes ("what if Microsoft built cars... you'd have to stop and reboot") for such a long time... this may finally be the reality :)

Doug, does your car sleep well, i.e., does it frequently end up in sleep mode? I wonder if these are suspend / resume problems... Linux can be a bit... challenging with suspend and resume and the NVIDIA platform that they use is known to have a ton of problems with that...