TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Firmware 5.9: Smart Charging finally works!

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by widodh, Apr 4, 2014.

1. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

#1 widodh, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    So, I just got FW 5.9 on my car and finally Smart Charging works.

In the Netherlands such setups are very common. A house might have a 3x25A main connection and the Model S has to charge on that connection.

The problem is, that when the car is charging and you turn on a stove or other heavy electric appliance, you might go over the 25A and blow the main fuse.

For this Smart Charging exists. Both Smart EVSE and Open EVSE support this.

The bug with Model S was, if the charging station said to the car: "Go down to 8A", it would go down. If the EVSE then said: "Go up to 20A", it would stay on 8A.

This now works. I just verified it by setting the current back to 20A from 30A. That worked, Model S responded within 5 seconds. Then I set the max current to 24A and that worked as well. Within 10 seconds it was charging at full capacity.

2. drees

drees Active Member

Nice! This will also be good for people who use the dual-plug Chargepoint CT4000 stations which can go between 16-30A depending on how many plugs are in use.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Also important for Tesla's "PrettyGoodCharger" idea of having a single charger unit charging many cars on L2 at once.

4. gelden

gelden Active Member

5. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

This is cool. I would like to tailor my OpenEVSE to follow a Solar Array's output (when I get them installed this spring). Now I know it can be done. :)

6. pwillemse78

pwillemse78 Member

Finally, don't have to sit in the car anymore waiting for the current to go up and manually change it in the Tesla... however, still need 5.9 :)

7. Gerardf

Gerardf Active Member

Great ! Thanks for testing this.
    Hope 5.9 shows up on my car soon. Can't wait to test it as well using Fuzzy's SmartEVSE !

8. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Yes, OTA. I got back from a week Germany (without my Model S) and I saw there was a update available.
    Indeed, those cool things are now possible!

In the future Smart Charging will be become more important everywhere.