Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 5.9 waiting for me yesterday morning, but didn't have a chance to install it tip last night. Haven't checked my car yet. But since I had the fog lights retrofitted, Im expecting the same as you had. Thanks for letting me know to look for it and for info on how it was resolved!

Ok, checked the car before my drive to work. Did my customary reboot of everything as soon as I got in the car after unattended 3am firmware update.
- fog lights button still there, so assume they work
- Bluetooth/music app was acting wonky. Went to connect to my iPhone to play music and the right top corner for source selection got stuck at 're-establishing connection' (or something like that) forever. Reboots wouldn't stop it. Couldn't press the 'now playing' tab. Had to go to devices, then press favorites tab, the it let me go to the now playing tab, and everything was working fine after that.
- Nav seemed to work fine at first. Went to test the tesla-optimized Plugshare site. Logged in, and accepted the 'use location' request. It pulled up, but then got the Nav frozen location issue. The map app was responding fine, but my location was stuck and wouldn't update with actual location. Reboots didn't work here either. Only when I parked, left the car, then went back in was it unstuck. And now seems to be working fine.

Will keep a eye on things. This is the most squirrelly behavior I've ever had post update, but none were huge issues and all seems to be fine now.

Still nothing here. But it's only been 2+ weeks since the release. From my past experience, I will get the update when the next major version (V6.0) is spotted in the wild or after 9 weeks has passed, whichever comes last. I was still on v4.5 and waiting for v5.6 when v5.8 was released! And before that, v4.5 was spotted on May 4th and I didn't get that one until July 27th -- I was on v4.3, and never even got v4.4! It's hard for an early adopter to wait...

Still nothing here. But it's only been 2+ weeks since the release. From my past experience, I will get the update when the next major version (V6.0) is spotted in the wild or after 9 weeks has passed, whichever comes last. I was still on v4.5 and waiting for v5.6 when v5.8 was released! And before that, v4.5 was spotted on May 4th and I didn't get that one until July 27th -- I was on v4.3, and never even got v4.4! It's hard for an early adopter to wait...

I have a VIN in the 4000s and got my 5.9 update this morning, so it is slowly working its way up

You can always go to a SC if you there is one close to you and they can pull it to your car.

Well it's definitely not serial number order. I am VIN 000037 and I just got v5.9 (1.51.94) today.

The larger fonts on the bottom info are nice. Being able to delete the charge points is nice;I deleted a couple of spots that were indoor GPS errors near my garage. The red/gray Supercharger/Visited display is nice. I would like a gray outline for Superchargers that I have visited. It's nice keeping a log of all those places that you have charged. :wink:

Took car in for Tank Mode installation and they offered to install 5.9 as well.

2 hours later, car's all done, washed and cleaned, and as he hands me the keyfob he says, now, you'll have to lower the car as it is now at the highest setting. I paused, looked at him, tried to figure out what he meant, and said, b-but, I don't have air suspension. He looked at me, paused, and before he could say anything I jumped for joy and thanked him profusely for adding air suspension to the car! Whee! I told him any chance he could also add a P85+ upgrade as well? (Not to mention twin chargers and parking sensors!)

I don't think he was amused :)

I was thinking the same thing... And it should consistently use the same font and relative sizes. As it stands now, the time/temp/odo row on the dash is the 3rd largest font size -- after the speedo and battery. I don't mind it being larger than it was -- but it should be the same size as other items on the screen -- in particular the title row on the Trip Meter is a nice large font, but its not bold and doesn't look cartoonish. Keep things consistent...

Yay. Let the bike-shedding begin.
Who wants to discuss the color of the energy graph?
:)

Well it's definitely not serial number order. I am VIN 000037 and I just got v5.9 (1.51.94) today.

indeed. i'm 1610 and just got 5.9 (.94) today as well. installed while i was getting my hair cut. i like the changes. good update.

and, fwiw, i have installed most, like 6 out of 7 (or whatever # i've done), updates while not at home.. so when on the road, or at work or an appt that was longer than an hour, and i've not had any issues installing. no screwups after that caused me any problem. fwiw.

I just don't think tesla should advertise that those on wifi will have priority to updates because when that isn't true their credibility suffers.
Did they actually advertise that? I've seen it speculated here at TMC, but I don't recall anything official from Tesla.
It was in the 5.0 release notes:
Note that we plan to prioritize roll-out of future software updates to customers using a home Wi-Fi network; they'll be among the first to receive new updates.

Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

"Note that we plan to prioritize roll-out of future software updates to customers using a home Wi-Fi network; they'll be among the first to receive new updates."

I'd say they have it clearly in "intend to someday" land. Don't expect a statement like that to be ironclad, reflects intent.

I noticed what I think is a fix in 5.9. In all the 5.8 releases (and to some degree previous releases as well), I would experience a lot of slacker playing the first second or two of a song, then pausing to buffer, then playing the rest of the song without a problem. I saw this a lot with 5.8. I haven't seen it happen yet since I got 5.9 a couple of weeks ago.

I can confirm this. Took my car in to get the Tank Mode titanium shield installed, and the service guy emailed me back after confirming the appointment, mentioning that "we've noticed you've had some concerns about the loud hum at over 70mph" which is something I posted here a few days before. Who needs the NSA when Tesla does such a good job monitoring my forum posts :)

Interesting. I took mine in to Fremont SC for that very purpose and they said they couldn't hear it. Seems like there's quite a difference between the various SC's.

I like the idea that was mentioned earlier here to split this in two threads... the "I got it" / "why don't I have it yet, whine, whine" posts, and the ones about features, bugs, etc.

Just saying :)

I like that idea as well......but, since 6.0 may well be right around the corner (OK, a long slow corner) maybe someone can start two threads that reflect that thought for the 6.0 series:smile: