Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My software update finished and all seems normal. It is the 1.51.106 firmware that others just reported receiving.

I think that it is not a good idea to display the "Car Needs Service" message during the update process. Anyone seeing that would naturally assume they should call service! That results in wasting my time and the Tesla service personnel persons time.

My total update time was less than 15 minutes.

My software update finished and all seems normal. It is the 1.51.106 firmware that others just reported receiving.

I think that it is not a good idea to display the "Car Needs Service" message during the update process. Anyone seeing that would naturally assume they should call service! That results in wasting my time and the Tesla service personnel persons time.

Best not to bother the car till the update's done. :) It can be entertaining to see the lights-and-sound show during an update but, from a safe distance ;)

True, but it's always done that, from day one. I guess most people don't sit in the car to watch.

If I had to guess there is a part of the firmware that is continuously monitoring including during update. When other parts of the system are down during update and it notices, it says service needed. When update done, everything detects fine. Might be harder or more dangerous to turn of than just leave as is. Another driver ed issue where the scant documentation could cause novice owner to freak out unnecessarily.

If I had to guess there is a part of the firmware that is continuously monitoring including during update. When other parts of the system are down during update and it notices, it says service needed. When update done, everything detects fine. Might be harder or more dangerous to turn of than just leave as is. Another driver ed issue where the scant documentation could cause novice owner to freak out unnecessarily.

They should probably put a message on the update screen mentioning that it will say that during the update. I've never sat in the car during an update, but if I came out to the garage and saw that without learning about it here, I'd be pretty worried.

Best not to bother the car till the update's done. :) It can be entertaining to see the lights-and-sound show during an update but, from a safe distance ;)
Haha. I live in a condo so park in an underground area. My last update (.94) my parking space neighbours were doing something to their van and when I came down they mentioned the car was flashing its lights and making all sorts of clunks beeps and clicks. They didn't know what to make of it but were assured it was normal during the rare update.

I had my car in for service (tank mode) last week, the SC updated my firmware but only to .96, not .106 like others have started getting.

Got .106 as well. Range charged to test out the new range capacity and got 498km, just a few days earlier on .94 I got 505km. I doubt it's the battery that suddenly degraded 7km nor do I think did I go in just a couple days out of balance (that 505 was persistent over multiple range charges in row in our effort with Tesla to get my range up further). So maybe some of the range was re-hidden below 0. Can anyone else check who's planning a range charge?

Unofficial 5.9.106 Changelog

A couple things that I've noticed that .106 resolved. (I was on .96 previously)

1.) I have the 'balloon squeal" since I took delivery 100% of the time under full "throttle". I always thought it was the inverter doing dc/ac conversion. That sound is now completely gone.

2.) During navigation, the blue line would be glitchy. Sometimes would not be where the red pointer was etc. That issue is also resolved.

3.) When you approach the car in the dark, when the handles present, the parking light illuminate until the door is opened.

IMG_7196.JPG

Thanks @Tesla! Keep them coming!

Last edited:
As I've been working with Tesla to determine my reduced max range and the suspicion was imbalance I did a couple of range charges just before getting .106 (was on .94 I think). The last few range charges came to 505km of rated range (before it had dropped to 496km even with the new 5.9 where I gained from 486km so it had some imbalance). Then I got .106 and did immediately again a range charge to continue the balancing effort and voila the max range had dropped to 498km and seems to be stuck there (I've done a couple more range charges and kept the car balancing). So I lost 7km overnight with the new firmware and hence am putting it to the firmware release. Anyone else done a max range comparison of .94 and .106? Not sure if the estimate got more accurate or the range was moved below 0 again.