Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding a hill hold that is infinite rather than 1 second. I can see how this could be a safety issue. With no feet on any control, you could, while reaching back into the back seat, accidentally hit the accelerator, disabling hill hold and starting a roll back. Just moving restless feet could cause an accident.

Can someone try waze website?

Given that Google bought Waze, and that Waze-originated data (crowdsourced traffic reports like accidents, delays, etc) now show up in Google Maps on the web, what I have been hoping for is that Waze-originated data would start showing up directly in Tesla's own Google Maps-powered Nav app. Was kinda hoping that would be the case in 5.9. Maybe 6.0?

@pgiralt

Ran the html5 test using 5.8.10. Big difference. Only 164 of 255. I write a lot of html5 code for spherical photos to replace .swf so they will work on I devices. They will not run on the Tesla browser. Maybe 5.9 will make the difference? When I get it I'll see.

Here's the 5.8.10 code:

HTML:
http://html5test.com/s/a45dd91f188ceff4.html

Thanks Keith. Some significant improvements in supporting more HTML5 capabilities. I'm curious what Tesla's plan is now. I thought Elon had hinted at moving to Chrome soon so why would they be working on improving the existing browser instead of just working on getting Chrome working?

Not necessarily. When you apply the brake and come to a complete stop, your brake is fully engaged. To do as you suggest, when you lift your foot off the brake pedal would require the brake to disengage and the motor to compensate for lack of braking. This transition would be easily and quickly noticeable in the car, which is not the case. The fact that it holds for 1 second makes sense, as the brake simply disengages 1 second after you let go of the brake pedal. That is the simplest and easiest implementation. Relying on the motor would make the feature implementation unnecessarily complicated, introduce far more potential for bugs and the possibility of unintended acceleration events, and would result in increased power consumption and lower range.

That's my 2¢.

I'd like to take a brief moment to point out that no matter how well it has or hasn't been implemented, how frickin' cool is it that a feature like this was added over the air after we all bought the car? Can you imagine if BMW owners whined that they wanted a hill hold feature and BMW decided to add one, what exactly that would entail? Tens of thousands of cars coming into the service centers, loaner cars being provided, etc.? The fact that this is even possible--even if it means they take away a beloved feature temporarily and once in a while (or I should say "beloved" since if it weren't for these forums I would long have forgotten about auto-lowering...I use air suspension to clear the dip in my driveway and the parking blocks that are just a little too high)--continues to amaze me. Since getting the car, I've gotten creep, supercharging, hill hold, free data and free Slacker for 4 years, and more. My old car added absolutely nothing over 3 years. So yeah, Slacker may get stuck fairly often, and not everyone may like superchargers being persistent on the map, and so on...but think about what we're getting and consider marvelling more and whining/complaining less! Remember, frowining can lead to early wrinkling of your forehead, so smile more! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quick check: with 5.9, sounds like the battery bar still does not show a % number along with the rated range, right?!

So, the cross-country rally cars had either 6.0 or some Tesla-internal hack to see the %.
Hmmm...new term..."rally hack"...I like it!

For anyone waiting for 5.9 I was surprised today when my loner car from the SC told me there was an update to install when I left from work. This car is not tied to wifi as it is a loner. Since I was going to pick up my car late at night they put my key in the trunk and told me to lock the car with the remote app. Arrived at 11pm opened my car with the app, got my key and put the loner key in the night drop off box. Easy. For fun I told the loner it could update. Drove away in my car with the loner flashing its lights in the SC parking lot as it updated. So it anyone wants to try 5.9 there is a loner in Toronto...

I found it interesting that a loner (not even tied to a customer) got the update. It does seem that it is random.

They had updated me to 5.9. Like all the new features.

Minor installation bug when I installed 5.9 tonight. I have scheduled my daily charging to begin every night at 12:05 for my utility's very low off-peak, time-of-use metered rate (6ȼ/kwh).

I received notification of the 5.9 update when I left work around 6pm; when I got home I immediately plugged in the car in my garage and hit the 'install now' button. Went out to check things an hour later and it was installed, but interestingly it was charging at full current at 7:30pm. So... after installing the update it ignored my scheduled charging at my home location and immediately went into charge mode upon re-boot. The screen still said 'charge at 12:05AM at this location', so the schedule wasn't erased, it was just ignored.

As I said, a minor bug, but if this happened during a utility emergency when they hike peak rates for EV users to 1-2 $/kwh in the summer, it could be annoying.

Yikes... I warned about that happening to me yesterday (also during peak hours) in a post. Well, looks like my warning didn't go through... Hopefully others see our warning and learn. Btw, pg&e seems to top out at about 0.5/kw for ev charging in summer.. How are you getting $2/kw

My car goes in for service tomorrow. I asked if I could get 5.9 and they said not at this point. It's just for early adopters.
So I called ownership and asked how that works. They told be they were selected by engineering. I asked if I could be added and was told they didn't have a list but would pass it on. I'm not counting on it.

Well I'm getting my new P85 tomorrow. I contacted SC on Tuesday and they told me that they're installing 5.9 on all new deliveries.

So this "only for early adopters" doesn't wash!

Minor installation bug when I installed 5.9 tonight. I have scheduled my daily charging to begin every night at 12:05 for my utility's very low off-peak, time-of-use metered rate (6ȼ/kwh).

I received notification of the 5.9 update when I left work around 6pm; when I got home I immediately plugged in the car in my garage and hit the 'install now' button. Went out to check things an hour later and it was installed, but interestingly it was charging at full current at 7:30pm. So... after installing the update it ignored my scheduled charging at my home location and immediately went into charge mode upon re-boot. The screen still said 'charge at 12:05AM at this location', so the schedule wasn't erased, it was just ignored.

As I said, a minor bug, but if this happened during a utility emergency when they hike peak rates for EV users to 1-2 $/kwh in the summer, it could be annoying.

I suspect it may auto-enable charging during the update for anti-bricking purposes.

If it remains charging afterward, that may be unintentional...

For anyone waiting for 5.9 I was surprised today when my loner car from the SC told me there was an update to install when I left from work. This car is not tied to wifi as it is a loner. Since I was going to pick up my car late at night they put my key in the trunk and told me to lock the car with the remote app. Arrived at 11pm opened my car with the app, got my key and put the loner key in the night drop off box. Easy. For fun I told the loner it could update. Drove away in my car with the loner flashing its lights in the SC parking lot as it updated. So it anyone wants to try 5.9 there is a loner in Toronto...

I found it interesting that a loner (not even tied to a customer) got the update. It does seem that it is random.

They had updated me to 5.9. Like all the new features.
Was the loaner a black P85+?
I have that car today and it has 5.9. It will be my first time driving a + so looking forward to it.
hopefully I will have the update when I get my car back tonight.

I think the whole announcement about people being on wifi will get it sooner is a bunch of BS. Just putting that out there as I'm always on wifi, got my car last June and am always seemingly the last to get an update. Maybe I'll just take it off wifi and see what happens...