Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found the "hill hold" function to be slightly underwhelming. It must be looking for steeper hills than I'm thinking of. But if I'm at a traffic light up hill, it seems to sometimes do the hold for me, and sometimes not. On the same hill I get this "occasionally" behavior. It's not THAT steep, but I definitely quickly roll back. So I've found the functionality to be a bit periodic rather than very proactive about preventing roll back.

i was noticing that it takes a moderate to steep hill to trigger it. I wonder what calculation it uses to determine if it needs to use it.

Speculation: as more cars get put on the road, the update process to hit every car will be longer, and will require more and more patience from more and more people.

(Disclosure: I don't have 5.9 yet, instead I seem to have developed a feeling that I kind of remember from when I was 5 years old on Christmas Eve, except that the feeling has been getting dashed every morning only to return, in a pathetic hopeful manner, each night.)

Similar to jayman venting earlier, I'd have to say that the statement that cars with constant WiFi access would be getting priority on updates is debatable.

Either that, or a large number of the numerous folks posting about their 5.9 experiences have WiFi at home that reaches their vehicle when parked at home?

Similar to jayman venting earlier, I'd have to say that the statement that cars with constant WiFi access would be getting priority on updates is debatable.

Either that, or a large number of the numerous folks posting about their 5.9 experiences have WiFi at home that reaches their vehicle when parked at home?[/QUOTE]
This is my situation and I do have 5.9.

Either that, or a large number of the numerous folks posting about their 5.9 experiences have WiFi at home that reaches their vehicle when parked at home?

I have a very strong WiFI signal at home (the Airport Extreme is just on the other side of the garage wall) and there is no sign of 5.9 yet.

I also tried turning off the sleep more for a couple of nights, but that did not do anything either.

I have near constant WiFi and have not received the update. I also had written a letter to ownership on lowering. So had a little bit expected to be one of the earlier deploys.

Super excited for the return of lowering as well as hill hold and other features. But as a software engineer I am also very respectful of a managed roll-out process for updates. If there are any issues I think we would prefer they are found and addressed before 5.9 reaches everyone.

Ah, the usual firmware update angst :) I wonder why Tesla couldn't repeat what they did with 5.8 - a massive push over one weekend - with 5.9 that brings back what 5.8 took away. AT&T is probably not too happy with massive bandwidth usage on the 3G network for those without WiFi.

For whatever reason, I ended up so far behind in the queue for 5.6 that I never got that update and was moved straight from 4.5 to 5.8 that weekend. I didn't quite have an option to get all the 5.x goodness (mainly sleep) while keeping the auto-lowering suspension.

There is a rumor (totally unsubstantiated, IMO) that 60 kWh cars may be able to SuperCharge faster than 105 kW on 5.9.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I guess 90 kW limited 85 kWh cars may want to re-test after getting 5.9, too.

I don't think I want that. 105kW is already 1.75C. Even though it only hits that level of power for a brief time, I've always heard that charging at more than 1C could be bad.

Also, followup to my earlier post, my speedo also goes up to 140mph. Seems silly, but it is not a big concern for me since I seldom look at the "analog" gauge.

From what I heard, you have to bring the car for some kind of service. When they fix that, they also update the firmware. You cannot just go over, and ask for an update.

Today my father took my mother in his S85 to their local service center to take delivery of her new S85. While he was there he asked if he could get the 5.9 update and they promptly installed it for him.

Her new car came with 5.9.

I don't think I want that. 105kW is already 1.75C. Even though it only hits that level of power for a brief time, I've always heard that charging at more than 1C could be bad.
It all depends on the specific cells. 2C when the pack is near empty isn't all that hard on it, you probably wouldn't see that rate except when the SOC is very low and a short period of time. But it'd still shave a bit of time off your stop, especially since 60 kWh cars need to reach a higher SOC to make the next SuperCharger.

105 kW does feel plenty fast for us 60s. As it is, the cooling fans go crazy when charging an already-hot battery - from the driving - at that rate. You should have heard the din my car was making at Folsom last week.
What were the ambient temps? It sounds like Tesla tries to cool the pack down to a cooler temp when SuperCharger than when you're driving, perhaps to take advantage of the power available?

Anyway, considering that the maximum current output on the 135 kW Supercharger specifies 335A continuous, what's the voltage of the 60 kWh pack when SuperCharging? P = V*A, so the pack would have to be at 360V to hit 120 kW which is well above the fully charged pack voltage, so it's not going to happen... On the other hand, 105 kW / 335A = 313V which is completely reasonable.

Has anyone gone to a track to test if the top speed changed?

I'm also curious about regen behavior. Ours didn't seem to be very consistent with the amount you got. Sometimes we get full 60kw regen, other times we get 40kw or so in an identical situation.

What was the change to Bluetooth? I've not noticed any difference

See pic below:

3ysese3a.jpg

Ah, the usual firmware update angst :) I wonder why Tesla couldn't repeat what they did with 5.8 - a massive push over one weekend - with 5.9 that brings back what 5.8 took away. AT&T is probably not too happy with massive bandwidth usage on the 3G network for those without WiFi.

It's just risky thing to do. They obviously felt that the removal of auto-lowering justified the risk of the quick roll-out, and the return of the feature did not. If you do a quick roll-out, and there's a serious bug, it's a disaster. Even if the risk of a serious bug is small, they shouldn't take the risk if there's no benefit to the company.

FWIW I was in for service yesterday on 5.8.7 and they said they would update to 5.9 as part of service. When I pulled out, I had been updated to 5.9.10 but yellow alarm lit too. Went directly back into SC and was told that when update has partially loaded into car, it has to finish before another update can start. So, 5.8.10 must have been partially pushed and they installed that and then downloaded , but didn't install, 5.9. I installed when I got home. Now up on 5.9.