Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anybody else have their side mirror auto-tilt clobbered after the 5.9 update?

I've rebooted the center console once already, but my side mirrors will no longer auto-tilt. I've made sure the function is enabled, and re-adjusted them while in reverse... but no go. As a matter of fact the re-adjustment doesn't trigger any prompts for me to save the new position in my profile...

I had to do the above dance once before after a firmware update, but that did the trick. I'll toggle the function off, reboot and then re-enable and try again...

Elon tweeted "some challenges with 5.9 rollout, as it contains software specially written for car owners in Norway and Belgium. Once 5.9 is rolled out to the whole fleet and all looks good, we will roll out 6.0 to owners on our public beta program."

Did anybody else have their side mirror auto-tilt clobbered after the 5.9 update?

I've had my auto-tilt clobbered by updates - and at random - a few times now. The procedure for recovering is simple, but not necessarily obvious:

0. Optional but recommended - reboot touchscreen.
1. Make sure auto-tilt is turned on
2. Put car in Reverse and adjust one mirror.
3. Put car in Park. Mirror will NOT tilt back; that's okay.
4. Adjust mirror to normal driving position.
5. Save to your profile (if equipped). Verify that auto-tilt now works for that mirror.
6. Now repeat the above with second mirror (don't know why you have to do them separately, but it appears to be necessary).

Mine worked. However, the upgrade was done at the service centre so perhaps they checked and fixed it.

Mine do now as well. I disabled auto-tilt, rebooted the center console, then re-enabled the function. I had to re-set the mirror positions, but now they save in the profile and function correctly.

As this is the second time I've had to do similar, I'll just remember to dis-/re-enable before/after the reboot in the future...

Elon tweeted "some challenges with 5.9 rollout, as it contains software specially written for car owners in Norway and Belgium. Once 5.9 is rolled out to the whole fleet and all looks good, we will roll out 6.0 to owners on our public beta program."

Interesting. What public beta program? I know some folks on TMC are part of a hush-hush beta program; they are the "public", I guess.

The tweet:

Twitter / elonmusk: @OlejAndersen Once 5.9 is rolled ...

I've rebooted the center console once already, but my side mirrors will no longer auto-tilt. I've made sure the function is enabled, and re-adjusted them while in reverse... but no go. As a matter of fact the re-adjustment doesn't trigger any prompts for me to save the new position in my profile...

I had to do the above dance once before after a firmware update, but that did the trick. I'll toggle the function off, reboot and then re-enable and try again...

Similar but different for me. The auto-tilt was gone after the upgrade (at the SC - and they upgraded me in two steps first to .88 then to .94 - it's even mentioned in the repair report I received). But when I then set it up again while in reverse I do get the option to save it.

Odd, it has already been mentioned that TM is privately beta testing firmware > 6.0:

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10 - Page 33 (post 322)

Odd, it has already been mentioned that TM is privately beta testing firmware > 6.0:

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10 - Page 33 (post 322)

I do not find it odd. I think TM has been 'privately' testing 6.0 for quite some time but has not had their 'public' beta testers test it yet. That is the way I would read Elon's quote and your link to the Firmware page.

I do not find it odd. I think TM has been 'privately' testing 6.0 for quite some time but has not had their 'public' beta testers test it yet. That is the way I would read Elon's quote and your link to the Firmware page.

Yes, but what I found interesting is the fact that Elon specifically mentioned 6.0 and not 6.5 or whatever given that their internal testing is already > 6.0.

Yes, but what I found interesting is the fact that Elon specifically mentioned 6.0 and not 6.5 or whatever given that their internal testing is already > 6.0.
What I found interesting was "public". That may be a random word choice, but I wonder if it might indicate a change in approach to beta testing. Maybe all those of us who in the past volunteered to test will now be offered a chance.

It is interesting. I would hope they have a team working on the 6.0, and say a team testing all kinds of future possible upgrades..like the 6.XX that was seen in the car that you referenced.

How do you know that their internal testing is >6.0? Isn't that...er...internal?
Apache's link above takes you to a thread response that would indicate a TM person was driving around in a vehicle running a later version in the 6 series than 6.0.

We'll, I'm fairly frustrated. I was gone for a week while my car was parked in my garage with a great signal to my router/wifi and still have not received the update. Now I know there are those that are gonna say "Just enjoy the car and be happy you can get updates at all!" Notwithstanding they are usually the fellas who have already received 5.9 or probably drove to their respective service centers to have it installed. I just don't think tesla should advertise that those on wifi will have priority to updates because when that isn't true their credibility suffers.

or.... Possibly it isn't the car, but instead it's the router. Maybe certain routers have certain firewall features (or other features/limitations) that unless disabled are blocking the download. Cars in those situations are only downloading while on 3G and are taking forever to download... Especially those that spend more time in the garage connected to wifi.

someone has already said they found their router to be the problem.

or it could be ISP based... Or something else in the chain... A lot of links that could be broken.

or.... Possibly it isn't the car, but instead it's the router. Maybe certain routers have certain firewall features (or other features/limitations) that unless disabled are blocking the download. Cars in those situations are only downloading while on 3G and are taking forever to download... Especially those that spend more time in the garage connected to wifi.

or it could be ISP based... Or something else in the chain... A lot of links that could be broken.

But then the car should say "the Wi-Fi is blocking access to the Mothership, switching back to 3G"

I would think that if you connected the car via WiFi and then remotely accessed it, then you could imply that you have a good connection to Tesla. Is that not the case?

Local service center loaded v5.9 (1.51.94) on Friday when my car was in for a minor fix to the Chargeport door. (They also did the battery shield).
I'm trying to figure out why some people still get .88 - my SC initially put .88 on my car and then switched to .94
Here's what they wrote in the repair report:
Concern: Customer states: Touchscreen is slow to power on 4/3 0700 - 0800.
Corrections: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen) General Diagnosis
Reviewed vehicle logs and found GTW_u015_displaysNotReady set at 7:38 this morning.Advise client that vehicle browser address should be set for Google or Tesla Motors whenleaving vehicle to help avoid long wake up time on center screen. Updated firmwareshould also help this situation.
Corrections: Firmware Update
Updated vehicle firmware to version 5.9 (1.51.94).