Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5.9 (.94) is working well for me so far--no issues.

I noticed that when you tap the +/- buttons on the nav screen, there's a smoother zoom animation than on previous releases. Am I just imagining this?

Probably confirmed elsewhere, but hill hold seems to work just fine (it activates in my driveway), and it definitely uses the hydaulic brakes, as I would have expected.

Seems like a solid update so far, from my perspective.

Speaking up +/- buttons on the nav screen, has anyone else noticed that the Nav seems to forget the zoom level in 5.9? I'm not sure exactly when this is happening - perhaps when navigating away from the Nav for a while and switching back to it or something - but I like to keep my zoom level set to one level away from full zoom and I keep finding it zoomed out further. I haven't been able to figure out when it happens. Anyone else seeing this?

After updating to 5.9 I noticed that when you touch Controls, there is a ½-1 second delay before the controls window pops up. This delay is new and not something I had noticed prior to 5.9. It's a minor annoyance, but something I hope they address.

I see it too (.88 flavor of 5.9). It results in double-taps of the Controls button, thinking you've not pressed it correctly the first time. I've never done that for the previous 10 months, and I bet I've done it half a dozen times in the last 3-4 days...

I see it too (.88 flavor of 5.9). It results in double-taps of the Controls button, thinking you've not pressed it correctly the first time. I've never done that for the previous 10 months, and I bet I've done it half a dozen times in the last 3-4 days...

I'm on the .94 variant and, while there's a noticeable lag, I don't think it's more than 0.2 seconds or so.

After updating to 5.9 I noticed that when you touch Controls, there is a ½-1 second delay before the controls window pops up. This delay is new and not something I had noticed prior to 5.9. It's a minor annoyance, but something I hope they address.

I'm on the .94 variant and, while there's a noticeable lag, I don't think it's more than 0.2 seconds or so.

I'm still on 5.8 and it's been like that since that update so I don't think this is necessarily a new bug.

I noticed what I think is a fix in 5.9. In all the 5.8 releases (and to some degree previous releases as well), I would experience a lot of slacker playing the first second or two of a song, then pausing to buffer, then playing the rest of the song without a problem. I saw this a lot with 5.8. I haven't seen it happen yet since I got 5.9 a couple of weeks ago.
I pray you're right. This drives me nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to ask, where did you hear that?
Already answered here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29024-Firmware-5-9?p=626705&viewfull=1#post626705

Speaking up +/- buttons on the nav screen, has anyone else noticed that the Nav seems to forget the zoom level in 5.9? I'm not sure exactly when this is happening - perhaps when navigating away from the Nav for a while and switching back to it or something - but I like to keep my zoom level set to one level away from full zoom and I keep finding it zoomed out further. I haven't been able to figure out when it happens. Anyone else seeing this?

Yes. Same mentality for me as well.

I had my first complete hang of the center screen today. I'm on 5.9, the .94 flavor.
I backed out of the drive way, then after the camera image disappeared switched from Radio to Slacker, just as the car lost WiFi. Tried to go to a playlist and then everything froze. No response to any touches anywhere. Only a full reboot brought things back.

I had my first complete hang of the center screen today. I'm on 5.9, the .94 flavor.
I backed out of the drive way, then after the camera image disappeared switched from Radio to Slacker, just as the car lost WiFi. Tried to go to a playlist and then everything froze. No response to any touches anywhere. Only a full reboot brought things back.

I've triggered hangs in earlier versions by playing with maps with slacker going, when transitioning from Wifi to 3G, backing out of the driveway. This might be a vulnerable interval. Haven't seen this on 5.9 yet, though.

Anyone know in 5.9 what speed will now lower the car from "High" back to normal? Or from "Very High"?

I don't know about High or Very High to Normal (that seems to be not very fast - 5 or 10 mph), but I watched today for the transition from Low back to Normal after slowing down.

I set mine to go "low" at 60 mph and drove on the highway for ~30min with the Controls/Driving screen open to see what would happen. It stayed on Low even when I briefly dropped below 60 due to traffic several times and once when I went to ~45 mph on a ramp between highways.

At my final destination, I exited the highway and slowed down. At about 34 mph it switched back to Normal. However, my speed went up and down a little and I think it was more likely triggered by me staying below a certain speed, say 40 mph, for more than 5 seconds or so.

I was concerned that it would go up and down if you cross the threshold line often while traveling (due to traffic for example), but they seem to have figured that out and it looks like it works well.

Anyone else get "call Tesla service" on the dash after the update? Hasn't gone away for me yet, even with a few reboots and miles of driving. Car drives fine. SC thinks its a code that needs clearing.

Upgraded to .94 tonite.

Events:
1. Plugged in.
2. Waited for my normal 90% completion.
3. Checked REST logs: 213 miles.
4. Unplugged.
5. Upgrade.
6. Checked REST logs a bit later: 217 miles.
7. Plugged in.
8. Observed in car UI: charge was not at the 90% mark and reported 15 minutes of charging to go (at 79A).
(Will update later with the final number.)

Update:
9. Checked REST logs near completion to find peak: 224 miles.

Last edited:
I don't know about High or Very High to Normal (that seems to be not very fast - 5 or 10 mph), but I watched today for the transition from Low back to Normal after slowing down.

I set mine to go "low" at 60 mph and drove on the highway for ~30min with the Controls/Driving screen open to see what would happen. It stayed on Low even when I briefly dropped below 60 due to traffic several times and once when I went to ~45 mph on a ramp between highways.

At my final destination, I exited the highway and slowed down. At about 34 mph it switched back to Normal. However, my speed went up and down a little and I think it was more likely triggered by me staying below a certain speed, say 40 mph, for more than 5 seconds or so.

I was concerned that it would go up and down if you cross the threshold line often while traveling (due to traffic for example), but they seem to have figured that out and it looks like it works well.

Back before "Low-Gate"... when Low worked as originally designed. It would drop into Low mode at 60mph, and then return to Normal height the moment you hit 25mph. As I exited freeways, I could keep the car in low for quite some time (minutes), until I had to come to a stop light/sign etc.

It will be interesting to compare this now. I'm still waiting.