Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i already have 5.9 (1.51.88), but have been notified of a new update via OTA.

Anyone else?

Yep, had 88 and got the notice this morning. Let it run after I got to work, and had 94 for my drive home.

Both 88 and 94 cleared my 16 amp charging limit at home -- in the case of 88, I just had to reset it (after I closed the breaker). I set it back again tonight but didn't need to charge so we'll find out how well it holds the setting tomorrow.

Both 88 and 94 cleared my 16 amp charging limit at home -- in the case of 88, I just had to reset it (after I closed the breaker). I set it back again tonight but didn't need to charge so we'll find out how well it holds the setting tomorrow.

I suspect the installation of 5.9 is designed to clear charger history (it cleared mine) and that may have resulted in your charging rates being blown away. Even the subsequent 5.9 update may have done it again .88 -> .94, although I'm unsure. I'll have to look when I get home.

jomo25 said:
Go to the Places, visited chargers, then tap the "x" on the right side (I believe) next to the ones you want to delete. Very quick and easy.

This is the same method I had used earlier as well, @brianstorms.

I also got the .94 flavor of 5.9 today (after having the .88 version installed at the Service Center 5 days ago).

Update moved me from .88 to .94. I guess there may be something pretty wrong with .88.

Agreed. It appears that a whole bunch of us were upgraded yesterday from .88 to .94 - seems like a bigger batch than were originally upgraded to 5.9. Also seems a lot of people who were still waiting finally got 5.9 so I guess they decided that .94 was good to continue rolling out too. I was parked in a covered parking lot at a restaurant having supper and it apparently downloaded over 3G while I was eating and was ready to install when I came back to the car (though I waited until I got home).

- - - Updated - - -

You're not alone on that. I really liked the feeling of driving a manual. Luckily you can sort of "learn" when it will do its thing and counter it. Hopefully it will be customizable going forward.
Actually its because I'm used to driving manuals (motorcyles and years of cars) that I wanted the hill assist. I take some pride in never sliding backwards and without creep turned on, the only way to avoid any slipping back seemed to be to keep the brake depressed while pressing the acelerator - an old manual trick but most manuals don't complain and throw warning messages up every time you do it. I guess with time I could have perfected the timing of the pedal shuffle but it wasn't particularly elegant and is clearly not a supported method given the loud and visible warnings. It seems even with manual cars they increasingly have an automatic hill hold type function. You can usually turn them off but with a manual you can use hand brake, clutch or brake/gas manipulation none of which is really available on the Tesla. On my car it appears that on moderate hills you can choose whether the feature applies or not by how hard I press the brake pedal but it appears (from the lack of people who have seen this) that this might be a fault with my car rather than a feature.

So I got mine this evening. Came home at 6. Went out at 7:30 and noticed it was ready with the update.

Never really paid full attention to the upgrade (rebooting) before. The headlights cycled 5 times. Sometimes the lights on the steering wheel came on with them, other times not. Sometimes just the steering wheel lit up by itself. Took about 40 min. in all.

Has anyone ever speculated what the boot sequence is?

Why not just use the parking lights, or side marker lights? Why fire up the big beams?

. On my car it appears that on moderate hills you can choose whether the feature applies or not by how hard I press the brake pedal but it appears (from the lack of people who have seen this) that this might be a fault with my car rather than a feature.

Mine does this too. I think we are missing something in its hill assist methods. Very slight hill=nothing. Slight to moderate hill = pressing the brake further and holding for a second causes it to use hill assist (while light pressure gets no hill assist. Moderate to steep hill gets assist with any pressure.

the tip for outsider and others is that if you want to keep treating it like a manual, instead of he breaks, you just have to find the right amount of accelerator. If you don't hit the brakes, then the hill assist doesn't come on for any hill.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got .94 yesterday. My 80% went from 185 to 199 rated so a gain of 14 miles. I wonder why there's so much variability in how miles we gain back post-update.
It's because you have an A pack... See, good things happen due to the A pack occasionally... You gained back more of the apparently lost miles!:tongue:

Mine does this too. I think we are missing something in its hill assist methods. Very slight hill=nothing. Slight to moderate hill = pressing the brake further and holding for a second causes it to use hill assist (while light pressure gets no hill assist. Moderate to steep hill gets assist with any pressure.

For reference, hill assist works the same way in the Prius: it only activates with a hard press, figuring that the pressure indicates the slope. It beeps and flashes the traction control indicator to tell you it's on.

Updated to 5.9 (.88) last week. So far so good. Just received an update notice yesterday that I'm guessing is (.94). I'll wait a few days to see if there are any issues with it before updating.

My brief thoughts on 5.9.

Pros:
* Auto lowering is back!!! I'm so glad it is. It's most appreciate on the highway drives with lots of turns. To each his own for noticing the difference or not
* Height Settings are retained longer. (i.e. when in High setting it goes down to Standard at a higher mph than before). On the road I lowered the car to Low and it stayed there. Not sure how long that will last but I like it.
* The larger fonts under the speedo are a lot better, especially at night.
* Charger cable lock engages immediately again. Before it could have taken a minute and sometimes longer to engage the lock on the charge cable
* Finally we can delete charge location from the map

Cons:
* All previously charge locations and supercharger stay on the map. I'd prefer this were a toggle. I don't always want to see charge location when I use the map.
* When deleting charge locations there is no way to tell one charge location from the next since it hides the address. It'd be nice if they left the address on the charge location row when attempting to delete it.
* Hill hold can't be toggled. Not sure why they don't just have hill hold active every time car comes to a stop instead of whatever logic is in there now. Comes off like it's hit or miss when it gets active

Last edited: